Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Los Angeles Lakers coach Mike Brown has been fired after a 1-4 start to the season, a source tells ESPNLosAngeles.com's Ramona Shelburne.

It is not known yet who will take over for him, but a source indicated that it will either be assistant coach Bernie Bickerstaff or Chuck Person on an interim basis.

Sources had said earlier Friday that his job would be in jeopardy if the team did not perform well on its upcoming six-game homestand.

The Lakers have had a healthy Steve Nash in the lineup for only 1½ of their five games so far thanks to a leg injury, while fellow newcomer Dwight Howard has acknowledged that he's still recovering from the back surgery that brought a premature end to his 2011-12 campaign and knocked him out of the London Olympics. Kobe Bryant has also been playing through a foot ailment.
The Lakers are off to the worst start in the Western Conference despite carrying the league's largest payroll at just over $100 million, which would trigger an estimated luxury-tax bill at season's end of nearly $30 million.
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8610888/los-angeles-lakers-fired-coach-mike-brown-source-says

Dang that didn't take long. Wonder who takes the permanent position. McMillan? Sloan? Shaw?

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Wow. I'm thrilled with this news. I wish Mike the best but he just wasn't the right fit for this team.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
Yep saw this comin. Been callin it for over a month now Phil Jackson would be back to coach the Lakers this season.

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts
@WojYahooNBA
In the past two weeks, Mike D'Antoni had a knee replacement surgery and isn't on his feet yet, sources tell Y!
/...

·
Wiltside
20,390 Posts
Sloan and D'Antoni are bad fits, also. Nate Mac or SVG. Stan has said he and Dwight have talked throughout the summer, and as long as Dwight is cool with it, he'd coach him again.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
How exactly is D'Antoni a bad fit for a Steve Nash led offense again?

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts
I doubt Dwight would ok SVG even though they work things out.

@KBergCBS
League source also says that, though D'Antoni had knee surgery recently, it wouldn't stop him from taking Lakers job if they wanted him.

·
Registered
872 Posts
This actually proved why many say lebron is the number 1 best player in the world for the last 4 years because he was coached by mike brown and help brown became the coach of the year and brown went to the finals for the first time as a coach thanks to lebron.

·
Premium Member
17,902 Posts
I'm glad this happened so quickly. I was getting tired of hearing Mike Brown's name on sports radio...in St. Louis.

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts
@MagicInsider
Former Magic coach Stan Van Gundy called the Lakers' firing of Mike Brown, "the most ridiculous firing in the history of the NBA."
I also asked Stan Van Gundy if he would be available for Lakers' job, he joked, "I'm sure I'm at the top of their list."

·
Mammal
2,299 Posts
Well, this just got interesting. D'Antoni would be incredible; he's not the best defensive mind ever but people act like players are simply wandering around the Staples Center parking lot with no sense of what to do without a coach at the helm. Championship teams put forth defensive effort regardless of the reputation of who's on the sideline.

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts
@WojYahooNBA
Lakers are dumping Princeton offense, sources tell Y! Sports. "This (firing) was about the offense, more than anything else," source says.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
All reports out of LA have the locals and insiders saying it would not surprise anyone to see Phil come back. He is reportedly in good health and Jim Buss' primary goal is to win a title in the next two seasons.

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
Just wasnt the guy for these players. He'll bounce back he is a good coach just not for this team

1 - 20 of 106 Posts