1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
UMBC fan
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I did the math last year, no other program with the length of time that UNH has in DI basketball is anywhere close to as bad. #309 of 309 sounds just about right.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Suprisingly, the NEC stacks up nice.

Northeast
T-146. Robert Morris
T-180. Fairleigh Dickinson
T-193. LIU Brooklyn
203. Monmouth
T-213. Central Connecticut State
T-234. Mount St. Mary's
237. Wagner
T-285. St. Francis (N.Y.)
T-285. St. Francis (Pa.)

·
Premium Member
33,190 Posts
What a stupid exercise. Results like this happen when you take people that like doing math and creating formulas but then don't know anything about basketball- and this is what you get I suppose. Garbage in/garbage out:

Winning the regular season conference title, regardless of conference= 5 pts
NCAA 1st rd win as a 12-16 seed= 1 pt

HUH???????? LoL. That example above is pretty telling that this entire scoring system really isn't meant to include mid-majors, yet for some reason includes them.

Below is the completely random categories (NBA draft picks?) and their even more bizarre assigned values:

SCORING SYSTEM
Conference title - 5 points
For best win percentage in regular season regardless of division. Independents that finished ahead of two major conference champions in final AP poll received credit.
Conference tournament title - 3 points
Independents that finished ahead of two major-conference champions in final AP poll received credit.
Win percentage
80 percent and above = 4 points, 60-79 percent = 2 points, 35.1-49.9 percent = minus-2 points, less than 35 percent = minus-4 points.
No. 1 seed - 2 points
Started in 1979.
NCAA tournament berth - 1 point
NCAA 1st-rd. win as 12-16-seed - 1 point
Started in 1979 for 12-seeds only, 1985 for seeds 12-16.
Losing in second round - 3 points
Started in 1985, every team had to win a game to advance to Round of 32.
Sweet 16 loss - 5 pts
Started in 1975, every team had to win at least once to advance to Sweet 16.
Elite Eight loss - 10 pts
National semifinal loss - 15 points
Title game loss - 20 points
National title - 25 points
NIT title - 1 point
First-team All-American - 3 points
Second-team All-American - 2 points
Player taken in NBA's top 10 - 2 points
Started in 1966, common draft.
Vacated season - minus-2 points
Any season where wins were vacated.
Sanctions
TV ban = minus-1 point, postseason ban = minus-2 points, probation = minus-1 point, loss of financial aid = minus-1 point, recruiting violation = minus-1 point, show-cause action = minus-2 points.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/62654/introducing-the-50-in-50-series

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
It may not be a great system, but I think the top 20 came out pretty fairly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Man, I like math/statistics, but that calculation reeks of middle-aged Clearasil and insufficient sunlight during important growth years. To parse it at all would be akin to breaking out some mechanical pencils, a pocket protector and bottle of Brut for a fun night.

I think I am gonna go do something constructive, like write letters for Amnesty International, just for reading this discussion of the drivel and withhold my renewal of my ESPN Insider membership in protest. They cannot publish that nonsense without some consequence, even if it is only $3.33 a month. Yuck.

·
Premium Member
33,190 Posts
Just given the fact they assign a value 5X greater for Lehigh or Bucknell or UVM winning the PL or AE regular season title then they do for their wins in the NCAA Tournament over Kansas, Duke, and Syracuse respectively is enough to make their analysis or whatever you want to call it completely worthless. That makes zero sense.

Bar is being set pretty low at ESPN these days.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Ummm, how in the hell do you make a formula that shows who's the most successful team in college basketball??? I think that all that needs to be said.

with that said however I created a pretty good formula for the most successful college teams.

.01(NCAA appearances) X 1.23 (average attendance) X 800 (Schools with a Mike Horn on the team).
Based on this Binghamton is #1

1 - 13 of 13 Posts