Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! look we are rebuilding and Payton has 3 years tops plus i think in 2 years Tins will average 15points and 9 assists and will be a better leader than Payton. the only player i'd give up Harrington for is Bonzi. Artest will be DPOY so i won't trade him. the nly things i'm willing to trade
are....... any picks Bender Jones Brezec Croshere and Reggie so tell Sam Smith to stick his face in Rikishi's butt.:)

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Your willing to trade Reggie? Sorry then buddy but your not a true Pacers fan then, no matter how hard you claim to be.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Reggie Miller IS the Pacers. The Lakers would trade Kobe Bryant before the Pacers would trade Reggie Miller.

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
Sam Smith has no credibility whatsoever. You might as well disregard that article.

The Pacers are not going to give up small contracts, that are also their FUTURE for a player - great as he is - who's contract is expiring after next season. The only way I'd even go near that deal is if we added Croshere and Payton was signed to an extension prior to or as part of the trade.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
ya i mean even the original trade

Pacers

Payton
Lewis

Sea

Harrington Bender Croshere Tinsley

isn't fair cuz Harrington is better than Lewis already and Tins will be better than payton in 2 years and then to throw in Croshere:grinning: :banana: :yes: :) :D and Bender our most exciting player isn't fair!:no: why not trade Croshere for Booth cuz seattle has ben wanting him for 2 or 3 years :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Fellas!

Sam Smith, the dude who wrote this article and made this trade proposal, IS A RETARD! He writes NOTHING but CRAP! The fact that Sam Smith has a sportswriting job for a major publication is embarrassing.

The Pacers are OBVIOUSLY not going to give up all that for a 33-year-old who will be a free agent at the end of the season. I'm REALLY not sure how Sam Smith doesn't know this, I REALLY DON'T--his job, basically, is to understand the NBA and to write articles about the NBA. He doesn't understand the NBA, so that means he needs to get fired.

STILL! The Pacers CAN put together a pretty attractive package for Gary Payton. I'm not sure that ANY TEAM could put together a better package for the guy, in fact. The Sonics WON'T take Austin Croshere, though, you can be sure of that--they'd rather let GP walk than to take on Croshere's godawful contract. Here's what the Pacers could put together for GP:

Ron Mercer (two years left on his lousy contract, Seattle could tough it out), Jamaal Tinsley, Jonathan Bender (the Pacers can't re-sign Bender AND Artest next summer, you know), and Jeff Foster (who the Sonics could REALLY use, they need a backup PF/C like this guy) FOR Gary Payton and Predrag Drobnjak

Great trade for both teams (assuming that Gary Payton WON'T re-sign with Seattle next summer, that is). The Pacers obviously don't want or need Ron Mercer, they cannot afford to re-sign BOTH Artest AND Bender (and, let's face it, Artest is light years ahead of Bender, and I just don't think it's ever going to happen for Bender in Indiana, he's just not a good fit), and they probably cannot afford to re-sign Foster next summer, either. SO, in other words, when you think about it, the Pacers are basically trading Jamaal Tinsley for Gary Payton and Predrag Drobnjak (who could take some of Foster's backup PF/C minutes). And, listen here, fellas--Tinsley cannot hold Payton's jock. He can't hold it now, he can't hold it in 2003, he can't hold it in 2004, he can't hold it in 2005, he can't hold it in 2006. I remember back when John Stockton was about 33 or 34 years old, everybody started writing the dude off. That was six or seven years ago, fellas. Payton is a terrific TERRIFIC player, he's a leader, he's a winner, he's right there with Jason Kidd for "best point guard in the league" honors.

The trade makes sense for Seattle ONLY if they decide to not bring back Payton next summer, or if they CAN'T bring back Payton next summer. They could audition Bender this season, see what they think about him, give him a chance to play 25-30 minutes/game. I think Foster is a perfect fit for this team, they could use a rebounding role player like this guy (which is why they're interested in Popeye Jones at the moment). Tinsley is an incredibly cheap PG, and he's good; I don't think he'll ever be GREAT, but he's GOOD, and he's CHEAP, and he's LOCKED UP for the next three years. Mercer's contract is a tough pill to swallow for Seattle, but Payton makes over $12 mil next year, so they're going to have to take on SOMEBODY with a big contract in order for the trade to happen! And it's NOT going to be Croshere!

In order to properly develop these young players, the Sonics would have to basically sit both Kenny Anderson (who is NOT in this team's longterm plans) and Ron Mercer (also NOT in this team's longterm plans, what an incredibly overpaid and one-dimensional player) at the end of the bench. Hopefully, some teams will be desperate for a PG or a sixth man midway through the season, hopefully the Sonics can dump these guys. If not, oh well, you gotta see what these kiddies are made of. People don't pay to come see Kenny Anderson and Ron Mercer play, fellas.

I'm not sure what Seattle does with Rashard Lewis. It's an incredibly frustrating situation, especially when you take into consideration that he would've been re-signed two months ago if the team hadn't given Jerome James--JEROME JAMES!--that big extension. [JEROME JAMES!] This trade with Indiana should free up another $1.2 mil or so of 2002-03 payroll, the Sonics should be able to add another $6-$7 mil to that longterm contract they're offering Lewis, which HOPEFULLY will be good enough. Let's say they ARE able to re-sign Lewis after this trade happens. Here's how both teams look in 2002-03:

2002-03 SEATTLE SUPERSONICS

Starting lineup

PG Jamaal Tinsley (32 minutes/game)
SG Brent Barry (32 minutes/game)
SF Rashard Lewis (36 minutes/game)
PF Vladimir Radmanovic (28 minutes/game)
C Jerome James (20 minutes/game)

Key reserves: Desmond Mason (32 minutes/game), Jonathan Bender (28 minutes/game), Jeff Foster (20 minutes/game), Calvin Booth (12 minutes/game)

End of the bench (no PT): Kenny Anderson, Ron Mercer, Joe Forte

Stashed on the IR: Vitaly Potapenko

2002-03 INDIANA PACERS

Starting lineup

PG Gary Payton (40 minutes/game)
SG Reggie Miller (32 minutes/game)
SF Ron Artest (32 minutes/game)
PF Jermaine O'Neal (36 minutes/game)
C Brad Miller (32 minutes/game)

Key reserves: Al Harrington (32 minutes/game), Erick Strickland (24 minutes/game), Predrag Drobnjak (12 minutes/game)

End of the bench (no PT): Austin Croshere, Fred Jones, Primoz Brezec, Jamison Brewer

This is an eight-man rotation, a veteran team, a different-looking team than we've seen from the Pacers recently. Fred Jones is going to have to sit and watch for a year; hopefully, NEXT year he'll be ready, and he can take Strickland's minutes, Strickland can be let go. If the Pacers decide that they can't afford to re-sign Artest next summer, then Croshere will get some minutes again, but UNTIL THEN, he's going to have to bite the bullet and sit on the bench. Both guys should get minutes in meaningless fourth quarters, of course, or when somebody in the regular eight-man rotation is injured.

OBVIOUSLY, all this team needs is a good coach, and it will be right there with New Jersey, Detroit, and New Orleans next year in the East.

That Sonics team might not make the playoffs, but, like I said, if they decide that Payton is a goner next summer, this is a GREAT trade. Best case scenario, of course, is that Payton finishes his career with Seattle, but if that can't happen, you can't just let the dude walk. And Sonics fans are pretty bored with The Payton Era, unfortunately, this team could use a shakeup. Oh yeah, this becomes Rashard Lewis's Team, obviously. The future of the Sonics basically lies in Lewis's hands, at least for the time being. THEN we'll see what this guy is worth, huh?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts