Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In losing to the Knicks, LeBron James dished to Larry Hughes for an open 3, which would have won it, instead of taking a final tying shot himself. Was that the right move?

LeBron has to shoot it. They were down 18 in the fourth quarter, and they had tied it because LeBron stepped up and scored 21 of his 36 points in the fourth. If he's good enough to get you to the dance, he should be good enough to win it.

When he made that pass to Larry, he's got to know this is only Hughes' second game back. You don't expect Larry to have the legs and stamina to make a shot at that point in the game.

LeBron has that type of talent where if he's going to reach a level of greatness, then he's going to have to face the fears of losing that game. Because in the long term, he needs to accept the responsiblity of losing the game, just as he accepts the responsibility for getting them back.

There's only about five players who can play at that level at that stage of the game. With greatness comes responsibility.
ESPN Daily Dime

They wouldn't be saying this if Hughes made that shot & Cavs won the game. I agree that LeBron should have taken that shot. He got into the lane for a close range shot but found Larry Hughes open for 3 & had a good opportunity himself to possibly win it. It wasn't like it was a bad attempt or anything, it just didn't fall.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
neoxsupreme said:
ESPN Daily Dime

They wouldn't be saying this if Hughes made that shot & Cavs won the game. I agree that LeBron should have taken that shot. He got into the lane for a close range shot but found Larry Hughes open for 3 & had a good opportunity himself to possibly win it. It wasn't like it was a bad attempt or anything, it just didn't fall.
I wonder what they'd be saying if LeBron took the shot and missed. I'd bet it would be something along the lines of how he should have kicked it out instead of taking a shot in a packed lane. It's the same for all the megastars of the NBA, every microscopic decision or move is magnified and analyzed way out of preportion.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
I don't think that was LeBrons fault that Hughes missed the shot. That is a set play for the Cavaliers and LeBron is supposed to kick it out to the open shooter. The question is, why was Hughes set at that spot if the coach doesn't think he can make the shot. Fact is nobody was anywhere near Hughes. He had no pressure on him except that caused by the timeclock and situation. Not that anyone is going to make those all the time (and frankly we were due to miss one), but I'd have thought the person at that position would have been Jones, Marshall or Flip (who was red hot yesterday) and not Hughes. Of course that's the Coach's call and not LeBron. LeBrons job is to either take the shot or pass off to the right man who is open. That he did.

·
Maybe Next Year....
10,213 Posts
Whenever Lebron drives like that he draws at least 3 defenders, and people are always wide open on the wings.

Coach Brown should have had the appropriate people in the corners, DJ and Flip, and we wouldn't be having this converastion. Hughes can make it, but he doesn't have his rhythym yet.

As for Lebron, it was the right basketball play, and bottomline he will always make the pass on instinct if someone is that open.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Lachlanwood32 said:
I wonder what they'd be saying if LeBron took the shot and missed. I'd bet it would be something along the lines of how he should have kicked it out instead of taking a shot in a packed lane. It's the same for all the megastars of the NBA, every microscopic decision or move is magnified and analyzed way out of preportion.
You hit the nail on the head! This is the world we live in, people tend to find fault in anything...which is sad.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just saw the replay of that last play. It was clearly a play design to pass it out to the open man. You can blame the coach for that one. Larry Hughes should have never been place in that situation. He just came back.

Also, how can anyone question Lebron clutch performance in that game when he single handly brought the Cavs back for a chance to win the game. This is starting to get annoying. :curse:

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Lebron's last seconds decision yesterday was absolutely correct. Larry hughes was wide open, i don't care if you don't have your rythm yet, He's NBA player, NBA players rarely miss open shots ( especially if they're the caliber of Larry Hughes) That's what seperates us from them. if anything, Larry should be blamed for missing that shot.

I watched the entire game, i always had faith Lebron will will his team back into the game and he did, because he was just playing awfull in the first half. he did all he could, and yet he gets the blame for passing the Ball to a wide open man. Yesterday wasn't Lebron's fault, mainly because Jamal Crawford was in a kind of zone ( in other words, it was his night, he was hitting everything) and Larry couldn't convert on the open three.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
It's because they only watched portions of the game. Anyone that saw the part where the Cavs are down 18 in the fourth and LeBron does has this series of plays

8:04 LeBron James makes 25-foot three point jumper 65-80
7:48 65-80 Nate Robinson bad pass (LeBron James steals)
7:41 LeBron James makes 25-foot three point jumper 68-80
7:39 New York full timeout
7:22 68-80 Jamal Crawford offensive foul (LeBron James draws the foul)
7:22 68-80 Jamal Crawford turnover
7:13 LeBron James makes 26-foot three point jumper 71-80

I don't think you could question anything he did after this. He was clearly the only reason that we were even in it at the end.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
The OUTLAW said:
It's because they only watched portions of the game. Anyone that saw the part where the Cavs are down 18 in the fourth and LeBron does has this series of plays

8:04 LeBron James makes 25-foot three point jumper 65-80
7:48 65-80 Nate Robinson bad pass (LeBron James steals)
7:41 LeBron James makes 25-foot three point jumper 68-80
7:39 New York full timeout
7:22 68-80 Jamal Crawford offensive foul (LeBron James draws the foul)
7:22 68-80 Jamal Crawford turnover
7:13 LeBron James makes 26-foot three point jumper 71-80

I don't think you could question anything he did after this. He was clearly the only reason that we were even in it at the end.
I dont think you read the artclie at ESPN at all...BJ was giving Lebron all the credit for scoring 21 of his 36 points in the 4th quarter of the game. "If he's good enough to get you to the dance, he should be good enough to win it." is what he's debating.

·
Registered
264 Posts
VC_15 said:
Lebron's last seconds decision yesterday was absolutely correct. Larry hughes was wide open, i don't care if you don't have your rythm yet, He's NBA player, NBA players rarely miss open shots ( especially if they're the caliber of Larry Hughes) That's what seperates us from them. if anything, Larry should be blamed for missing that shot.

I watched the entire game, i always had faith Lebron will will his team back into the game and he did, because he was just playing awfull in the first half. he did all he could, and yet he gets the blame for passing the Ball to a wide open man. Yesterday wasn't Lebron's fault, mainly because Jamal Crawford was in a kind of zone ( in other words, it was his night, he was hitting everything) and Larry couldn't convert on the open three.
You know now that I think about it, you are right. Maybe the reason Lebron decided to go to Larry was to attempt to give him back some confidence before the playoff starts because Lebron knows that he is going to need him. Passing the ball to a team mate in a clutch situation builds confidence in them because that lets them know that you trust them.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Jorbroni said:
Also, how can anyone question Lebron clutch performance in that game when he single handly brought the Cavs back for a chance to win the game. This is starting to get annoying. :curse:
They have the right to question it, especially if Lebron is contending for the overhyped and shady MVP award.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Jorbroni said:
You know now that I think about it, you are right. Maybe the reason Lebron decided to go to Larry was to attempt to give him back some confidence before the playoff starts because Lebron knows that he is going to need him. Passing the ball to a team mate in a clutch situation builds confidence in them because that lets them know that you trust them.
L M A O Please...Hughes is an All Star and a veteran in the league, I dont think he needs a confidence boost at this point.

·
Registered
221 Posts
ESPN gets on my nerves. LBJ made the right play and thats all you can ask for. Maybe the coach should've made that jumpshooter Flip Murray instead of Hughes, but it wasnt Lebrons fault.

His only thing is, he should and has to continue to trust his teammates, and I think he will.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I really could care less about that play....the fact that he bought them back was good enough for me.

This dude is becoming one of my favorite players....I see why he has so many haters. Cause it really aint right to be so good so young.

Reactions: Benedict_Boozer

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
23 said:
ESPN gets on my nerves. LBJ made the right play and thats all you can ask for. Maybe the coach should've made that jumpshooter Flip Murray instead of Hughes, but it wasnt Lebrons fault.

His only thing is, he should and has to continue to trust his teammates, and I think he will.

Dude, some of the espn people don't even know what they're talking about. I advise you not to take them seriously most of the time.

·
Premium Member
18,791 Posts
KOBEDUNKEDONSHAQ said:
L M A O Please...Hughes is an All Star and a veteran in the league, I dont think he needs a confidence boost at this point.
Hughes has never been an All-Star

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
I like the decision. He drew what, FOUR defenders over? Hughes was wide open.

Like I said, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Kobe gets it for not passing up the winning shot.
Lebron gets it for making a pass to get the winning shot.

When the result is negative, they get torched.
When its positive they are exalted.

People just need to realize it's not gonna go in all the time, and Lebron didn't have a great shot to begin with.

Reactions: ralaw

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Lachlanwood32 said:

Tragedy said:
I like the decision. He drew what, FOUR defenders over? Hughes was wide open.

Like I said, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Kobe gets it for not passing up the winning shot.
Lebron gets it for making a pass to get the winning shot.

When the result is negative, they get torched.
When its positive they are exalted.

People just need to realize it's not gonna go in all the time, and Lebron didn't have a great shot to begin with.
:clap:

Best two post in thread!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.