Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dwight Howard is unlikely to re-sign with the Los Angeles Lakers, according to sources that spoke with ESPN's Chris Broussard.

The main reason for Howard's departure, should he leave, is Mike D'Antoni's system on offense.

Sources say the Dallas Mavericks and Houston Rockets are the favorites to sign Howard.

The Lakers can offer Howard a five-year, $118 million contract, while rival teams can pay just $88 million over four seasons.

·
Banned
15,209 Posts
Dwight Howard is unlikely to re-sign with the Los Angeles Lakers, according to sources that spoke with ESPN's Chris Broussard.

The main reason for Howard's departure, should he leave, is Mike D'Antoni's system on offense.

Sources say the Dallas Mavericks and Houston Rockets are the favorites to sign Howard.

The Lakers can offer Howard a five-year, $118 million contract, while rival teams can pay just $88 million over four seasons.
Hopefully he goes to Mavs, working for an owner like Cuban would be good for him. I'm a big Cuban fan

·
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine
8,475 Posts
I said from the beginning that signing D'Antoni would be a huge mistake. I was already proven right, but it's nice to hear more bad results from it be added on.

Reactions: LeGoat06

·
Super Moderator
17,419 Posts
There is very little chance of Dwight Howard re-signing with the Los Angeles Lakers this summer, according to sources close to the situation.

Howard is willing to forgo the extra $30 million the Lakers can pay him to play for a coach and in a system he feels will better use his skill set, one source said.

The Lakers can offer Howard a five-year, $118 million contract, while other teams can pay him only $88 million over four years.

Howard plans to meet with Dallas, Houston and Atlanta before meeting with the Lakers once teams are allowed to contact free agents beginning July 1, a source said. It appears that the teams will visit Howard in Los Angeles.

Howard is notoriously indecisive, so the Lakers, while apparently major underdogs, should not be completely eliminated from contention. Before the 2011-12 season, he repeatedly asked the Orlando Magic to trade him, and then at midseason he opted in to the final year of his contract to remain in Orlando.

Howard's major problem with the Lakers is the system that coach Mike D'Antoni employs. Beyond that, he did not enjoy playing with Kobe Bryant, though he could manage to do so in a different system, a source said. Howard also does not want to be second fiddle to Bryant for several more seasons.

While many believe Houston is the Lakers' stiffest competition, sources say Howard finds Dallas just as appealing, if not more. Assuming the Mavericks are able to clear enough cap space to offer him a maximum-salaried contract, Howard is strongly considering joining Dallas. The Mavericks are trying to shed Shawn Marion's $9 million expiring contract to create the room to sign Howard, according to sources.

Howard likes the idea of being the top superstar of a franchise and with Dirk Nowitzki aging, Dallas would be viewed as Howard's team. Howard also believes the Mavericks can build a championship roster around him with the ample cap space they will have in the summer of 2014.

Some close to Howard believe signing with Houston is his best option. Howard has been in contact with Rockets players James Harden and Chandler Parsons, both of whom are heavily recruiting him.
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9427945/los-angeles-lakers-not-likely-re-sign-dwight-howard-sources-say

·
Administrator
67,768 Posts
The idea of a Dwight/Dirk high/low game intrigues me as a basketball fan, but I think the Rockets have a better chance of contending with Howard on board.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
Honestly do not know if not having to sign Howard to a true Max contract is a bad thing for the Lakers. Maybe he gets healthy and bounces back, maybe he stops being a childish and egomaniacal fool, but right now he does not look like the sort of player you really want to make that sort of commitment to.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
The idea of a Dwight/Dirk high/low game intrigues me as a basketball fan, but I think the Rockets have a better chance of contending with Howard on board.
What would they do with Asik?

BTW I will go on the record EARLY to say that this is a ploy to scare the Lakers into working a sign and trade.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Package him with a future pick for Ryan Anderson? Or maybe work a deal with Philly for Thad Young?
Philly has Andrew Bynum who you keep raving about as a HOF center set to carry a contender for 10 more years.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
So how many superstars have played for thee different teams in three straight seasons?

Let alone in their primes

Sent from my iPhone using VS Free

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Andrew Bynum is a overpaid Greg Oden
Back when Bynum was on the Lakers and was getting his name thrown out there every time an all-star potentially came on the market, I continuously harped on the injury history he had and said he was a horrible building block for any team that was starting over. Jamel's making fun of me for that, so I guess I'm supposed to be embarrassed that I knew his knees wouldn't hold up. For some reason.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
"The coach isn't the issue" - Jamel Irief 2012-2013

1 - 20 of 159 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.