Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ESPN reports: Wallace turns down extension offer

Link

Portland Trail Blazers forward Rasheed Wallace this week rejected a contract extension proposal from the team believed to be between $35 million and $40 million for four years, a source told ESPN's David Aldridge on Saturday.

Blazers senior management is expected to meet this week to make a decision on whether to continue attempts to sign Wallace or go forward with trade discussions with several teams, including Golden State and New York.
Apparently, ESPN failed to talk to Jason Quick....

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Well theres 4 options here

1. Rasheed Doesn't want to resign here

2. Rasheed Thinks he will get more from someone else Which wont happen.

3. The rumor is not true.

4. Sheed wants to test Free agent waters, maybe go to philly for MLE or Knicks.

I think a 4 year 35-40 mil is Fair , i love sheed but if he thinks he is going to get more than 10 mil a year, I hope he likes Utah....

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Why would Rasheed Wallace reject a 4 year, 45 million dollar deal, then turn around in the summer and sign with the Knicks for the MLE? That really wouldn't make sense.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Originally posted by <b>KokoTheMonkey</b>!
Why would Rasheed Wallace reject a 4 year, 45 million dollar deal, then turn around in the summer and sign with the Knicks for the MLE? That really wouldn't make sense.
because if you read earlier stuff sources said he would sign with the Knicks or Philly for the MLE if Portland didnt give him big money.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Could it be that Sheed wanted a no-trade clause? Otherwise it doesn't make sense to me. That's more money than Sheed's going to get anyplace else, and it keeps him where he's said he wants to be - in Portland.

Other thoughts?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
He's out his mind if he's looking for Duncan type of cash. IMO, $10 mil per year is a little steep for Rasheed Wallace. I hope we can get something good in return for Wallace before the Feb.19th trading deadline!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Why are you guys saying turned down?

The link I read said that Wallace has not decided on whether to accept a contract extension proposal from the team believed to be between $35 million and $40 million for four years.

I didn't read anywhere saying he was going to turn it down except for the quote you posted. But the link says otherwise.

·
Site Founder
15,518 Posts
Re: Why are you guys saying turned down?

Originally posted by <b>Sheed30</b>!
The link I read said that Wallace has not decided on whether to accept a contract extension proposal from the team believed to be between $35 million and $40 million for four years.

I didn't read anywhere saying he was going to turn it down except for the quote you posted. But the link says otherwise.
ESPN just changed the title, which originally said that he "turned it down," but is now saying he is "mulling" the offer.

Amazing morally- and ethically-challenged journalistic hooks being employed by the Extra Stupid Sports Network.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
ESPN just changed the title, which originally said that he "turned it down," but is now saying he is "mulling" the offer.

I was beginning to wonder if I was seeing things, because I noticed this too after a second look.

·
_(&#12484;)_&#3626;&#3657;&#3657;&#3657;&#3657;&#3
28,008 Posts
Re: Re: Why are you guys saying turned down?

Originally posted by <b>Ron</b>!

Amazing morally- and ethically-challenged journalistic hooks being employed by the Extra Stupid Sports Network.
You do realize that you just insulted ESSN.

Might want to retool your acronyms...

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Why are you guys saying turned down?

Originally posted by <b>rawse</b>!

Earth System Scientist Network? What have they done to offend anyone?

As for ESPN, I fool hoodwinked.

Think about it Sheed...

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Why are you guys saying turned down?

Originally posted by <b>rawse</b>!

I thought ESPN did stand for...

E(something) S(something) Sports Network, and they went with ESPN because it flowed better.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Actually, ESPN stands for "Entertainment and Sports Programming Network." A lot of people think it's "Entertainment SPorts Network," but I've read it's really the first.

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
Just curious... assuming this is true, who would benefit by leaking this info to ESPN... or in other words, who would want to tell David Aldridge this info? Sheed's agent? The Blazer management? Those are the only two in the loop as far as I know, so one of them would have had to tell him but I can't come up with a reason why they might... I guess one of Dave's journalistic "sources" inside the organization might have tipped him on this... someone named Jason maybe? I just can't see how it helps either of their bargaining positions to tip the cards being played.

STOMP

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
I HOPE this is true... even if it's the upper level of the range, a $40m deal would probably look something like this:

$8.7m
$9.6m
$10.4m
$11.3m

I don't think that the extension would mean Portland wouldn't trade him before the deadline... it might open up a trade for more value. A team like Detroit that wants additional cap space would be getting a savings for next year AND a guarantee that Rasheed wouldn't walk.

Of course, I'd be more excited because it means Paul Allen is still willing to commit serious money to the Blazers... part of me is worrying he'll just let Rasheed walk this summer.

Ed O.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
ESPN: Sheed HASN'T turned down the offer!!!

Check the article again. They changed the wording. Now it says:

Portland Trail Blazers forward Rasheed Wallace has not decided on whether to accept a contract extension proposal from the team believed to be between $35 million and $40 million for four years, a source told ESPN's David Aldridge on Saturday.

Wow, he's re-signing soon!!!

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
ESPN: Sheed HASN'T turned down the offer.

Check the article again. They changed the wording. Now it says:

Portland Trail Blazers forward Rasheed Wallace has not decided on whether to accept a contract extension proposal from the team believed to be between $35 million and $40 million for four years, a source told ESPN's David Aldridge on Saturday.

Wow, he's re-signing soon!!!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts