Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Coach Sam Mitchell and general manager Rob Babcock are on equally shaky footing in Toronto, but the difference is that a name surfaced this week in NBA coaching circles as a possible successor for Mitchell: Paul Silas.
Link

I personally would like to see Mitchell go. I don't agree with his substitution patterns, treatment of players or play calling.

I don't know enough about Silas' system, I've heard that he can be pretty hard on his players. The most important thing I've heard is that he is excellent at developing big men.

what do people think?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
:drool:

an experienced, but not over the hill....I definetely like

I would like to see Sam get the opportunity to atleast finish the season and get us that great draft pick

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Horrible choice, so no doubt MLSE is already lining him up. This is the Lenny Wilkens hiring all over again if they go this route.

Silas is done as a coach. He was loaded with talent in New Orleans and Cleveland and underachieved in both places. Had very public fights with players. Worse than Sam who had a real headcase in Rafer. Silas fought with Eric Snow.

This team is horribly flawed. Silas can't turn back the clock on Jalen Rose. Silas can't magically add versatility to MoPs game. He can't make Hoffa's arms 5 inches longer. He can't insert 3 years on nba experience into the heads of Charlie, Joey, Jose in a month.

We are what we are and only time together, or a magical trade, can do anything about it. This would just be a panic move by MLSE and Peddie to cover his own butt again.

Fire Peddie, Fire McCloskey, and Fire Embry and let Rob and Sam continue to build. Too much input and second guessing at MLSE. Its too much politics and not enough basketball there.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Wasn't Silas's departure last year based on new ownerships decision to go another route, even though Silas was leading Cleveland to a sure thing playoff berth.

I like Silas, maybe not the best fit for this young team, but I don't think by any means he should be compared to the over the hill Lenny Wilkens

·
Registered
506 Posts
Silas is over the hill.
I don't like him at all, after his stint with the Cavs.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Divine Spammer said:
Silas is over the hill.
I don't like him at all, after his stint with the Cavs.
Exactly - oh geeeeez here we go again with the retreads coaches. He did a good job with the Hornets got a renewed contract and has been on cruise control ever since. :dead:

It is imperative to get a guy who is young - full of energy and hungry (but not green like KO and Mitch). Silas is none of these and I hope Wayne embry has the gray matter to recognize that.

A guy who is going to obses over his players getting better - will go to ownership and ask to hire all these specalists for wacked out things like leading edge organic diets and under water muscle development (or some fool thing that he thinks will get them that edge).

</end rant>

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lucky777s said:
Fire Embry and let Rob and Sam continue to build. Too much input and second guessing at MLSE. Its too much politics and not enough basketball there.
Why in the world would you fire Embry??!!

Moving on,

I've looked into Silas since I posted this thread and I like the idea more and more. He runs everything through his big men and except for the feuds with Eric Snow and Jeff McInnis (who is a huge cancer) has been very well liked by all of his players.

He posted a 208-155 record with the Hornets and took them into the playoffs his final two seasons with the team. Given their performance following his departure I don't understand how they "underachieved". The cavs were playoff bound when silas was fired and they managed to slip out of the post season all together after his departure. The decision was made by new ownership after a slump and wasn't highly supported by the team or city.

Our own Jamal Magloire loves silas and will likely follow him to toronto when his contract is up.

Our offense needs to start running through our bigs, and mitchell doesn't seem to care about our guards reluctance to pass the ball inside. Guys like Villa, hoffa, sow (too late) and Bonner will all likely thrive under Silas, given his ability to develop front court players.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
What big men did he run things through in New Orleans. That team had Baron Davis and Jamal Mashburn. That was who things went through. They had a loaded front line with role player type bigs. Eldon Campbell, Jamaal Magloire, Traylor, and Moiso. He didn't really develop any of those guys. Mags is still not an offensive player. His absolute best year was 13 and 10 with 1.23 blocks. Thats Antonio Davis production.

That team underachieved in the playoffs and never got the playoff seeding they should have in the regular season. Silas let Baron do whatever he wanted. Total freelance system.

Who did he develop in Cleveland? BigZ was already the main guy there and had almost exactly the same production the 2 years prior to Silas coming in. Drew Gooden was already putting up nice stats in Memphis and Orlando for the time he was getting, although they are still not happy with him. Diop was a total bust in Cleveland and Silas did nothing for him except cut his minutes and games played to almost nothing.

There is absolutely nothing to back up your claim that he 'develops big men'.

Hornets had great role players like George Lynch and David Wesley and solid players throughout the lineup. And this was at a time when the East was quite weak.

Cavs had Lebron, Hughes, Snow, McInnis, Gooden, BigZ, Varajeo, Jackson, Nailon?, Traylor, Pavlovic. They should have been much better and made the playoffs easily.

And you fire Embry to show support for Babs. You clear out Jack, Dick, and Wayne who have all been ducking any responsibility with the club and who are too connected to the politics of the board of directors. When Peddie had Embry start reporting directly to him instead of Rob that was a major signal of backroom politics going on. Dump them all.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Um Mags peaked with Silas and became an All star centre.

Gooden put up his best numbers under Silas.

Moiso played better as a Hornet than anywhere else

Traylor put up some of his better numbers under Silas and followed him to clevland.

Carlos Boozer developed beyond EVERYONE's expectations under Silas.

The Cavs were a playoff team under Silas...they were the 5th overall seed when he was fired.

The Hornets did so poorly in the years after Silas that they completely blew up the team and are now rebuilding.

Kevin Garnett wanted Silas to coach the Timberwolves. This guy brings instant credibility and respect to a team that has neither.

I'll trust the opinion of an NBA MVP before the opinion of the general fan.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Nooooo Please
Thas Even Worst..

·
Registered
268 Posts
blowuptheraptors said:
:puke:Silas
This would be a regressive move @ the very best - there's nothing to suggest that Silas will be able to accomplish much @ this juncture in his career; he ought to follow the lead of fellow former Celtic Tommy Heinsohn and just retire altogether from coaching and do television - and Heinsohn WAS the better coach b/w the 2...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts