9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the silver team of ESPN for Big8/12

F-Tisdale, OU
F-Manning, Kansas
C-Stipwich-MU
G-Blackman, KSU
G-Ford, Texas

I agree with four of 5. Ford at Point? I don't think so. I perfer Valetine over Ford

·
Registered
398 Posts
I would have Blaylock over Ford. Blaylock averaged like 20 points a game his last year and led one of the best offenses ever in 88.

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My team

C-Bryant Reeves
F-Danny Manning
F-Williams Tisdale
G-Darnell Valentine
G-Mitch Richmond

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by <b>Natty Dreadlockz</b>!
You could make an arguement for 4 outta 5 of your pick's.. But.. I could name atleast 5 big's that were better than Big Country!
that is true, but if you look at the 5 that ESPN name, you can name 5 better PG's than Ford too.

so what wuld be your picks?

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Your right.. It's really hard to lock down on just 5.. I've been watching Big 8/12 ball for most of my life.. And you've got a legit lineup!

PG - Blaylock.. Billups
SG - Richmond.. Walters
SF - Tisdale.. Chievous
PF - Manning.. D.Smith
C - Stipanovich.. S.King

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your right.. It's really hard to lock down on just 5.. I've been watching Big 8/12 ball for most of my life.. And you've got a legit lineup!

PG - Blaylock.. Billups
SG - Richmond.. Walters
SF - Tisdale.. Chievous
PF - Manning.. D.Smith
C - Stipanovich.. S.King
I Thought Stacey King of Oklahoma was more of a Power forward? That is a good lineup. I am impresed that you placed Rex Walters. Too bad him and Chievous who both had very good college basketball careers could not bring it to NBA at a high level. I am not sure about Chievous Walters I think was in the NBA for about 6-7 years then played a year in the ABA, and a year over seas then he was a HS coach last season, now a assistant at Valpo

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
Blaylock definitely over Ford. Hell, I'd take Melvin Booker over TJ Ford.

Even after he's gone, TJ Ford is still ridiculously overrated. If he had stayed longer, he probably would have deserved to be on the team, but how can you put a two year player on there?

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by <b>Hollis</b>!
Good team....not a big fan of Stipanovich though....Him and Reeves were probably about even...
so do you think TJ FOrd deserves to be at the point? I sure don't

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
I honestly think that if Roy Williams hadn't recruited Aaron Miles and had Kirk Hinrich played point guard his junior and senior seasons, he would have been the best Big 8/12 point guard of the last 25 years, hands down.

I mean, for crying out loud he had 23 points, 11 rebounds and 5 assists tonight against the Mavs, and would have had a triple-double if a few of his teammates could hit water from a boat. The guy's a friggin' stud.

I have no problems with any of the guys on the list, though. I thought Ritchmond would make it over Blackman, and I didn't think Stipo would get on, but it's a nice team any way you cut it.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
TJ Ford is only on the team because most voters will have a natural predisposition to select more recent players.

How about this - has there been a better recruiting class in the Big 12 in the past 25 years then the Hinrich, Collison, Gooden class?

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
How about this - has there been a better recruiting class in the Big 12 in the past 25 years then the Hinrich, Collison, Gooden class?
In the past 25 year's?.. My answer would be, without a doubt YES!.. There have been better class'.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts

In the past 25 year's?.. My answer would be, without a doubt YES!.. There have been better class'.
Which ones? Not saying there aren't any, just curious to see what you think.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Why all the downing of TJ Ford? If people really look at it, Ford was really the reason that Texas is now looked as a major player.

Please don't say Melvin Booker or Chauncey (I love him) Billups had more of a college impact than Ford did. What did those two guys ever do in the NCAA's? (and yes I know Booker helped get Mizzou to the Elite Eight in 1994).

TJ Ford should be there or at least be right on the cusp of that team. Also for Paul Pierce not to be on that team is pretty ridiculous.

My team:

C-Manning, KU
C-Stipanovich, MU
F-Tisdale, OU (arguably the best player on this team in college)
F-Pierce, KU
G-Blaylock, OU

And Reeves wasn't too great until the 1995 season when he and Ron Rutherford led the Cowboys to the Final Four. The above were all very good as soon as they stepped on the court as Froshs.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hong Kong Fooey</b>!
Why all the downing of TJ Ford? If people really look at it, Ford was really the reason that Texas is now looked as a major player.
True.. I guess you could add Jordan.. Tinsley or Vaughn to the mix as well!
TJ Ford should be there or at least be right on the cusp of that team. Also for Paul Pierce not to be on that team is pretty ridiculous.
I was wondering when you were going to bring that up.. I didn't add Pierce.. Because.. I thought that there were better performer's at the 2 during their respective Big 8/12 career's.. To be honest wit ya.. I didn't factor in pro success when making my list.. If I had.. I wouldn't have even mentioned S.King.. Chievous.. D.Smith or Walters for consideration.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hong Kong Fooey</b>!

And Reeves wasn't too great until the 1995 season when he and Ron Rutherford led the Cowboys to the Final Four. The above were all very good as soon as they stepped on the court as Froshs.
Your way off on Reeves. IIRC, Reeves was the Big 12 (or 8) player of the year in 1993 as a sophomore. He was an all-american type player for three years.

As for Pierce, wasn't he really just a good complimentary type player as frosh and soph (sort of like a better Langford), I think he only was a dominant scorer for one year as a junior. Kansas fans correct me if I am wrong, but Pierce only scored 15+ a game for one year.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JuniorNoboa</b>!

Your way off on Reeves. IIRC, Reeves was the Big 12 (or 8) player of the year in 1993 as a sophomore. He was an all-american type player for three years.

As for Pierce, wasn't he really just a good complimentary type player as frosh and soph (sort of like a better Langford), I think he only was a dominant scorer for one year as a junior. Kansas fans correct me if I am wrong, but Pierce only scored 15+ a game for one year.
Yes, you're correct. I certainly don't think Pierce should be a sure-in for the team, but I personally think it's ridiculous how he was left off as an OPTION. He averaged over 20 a game and was 1st team All-America his junior season, that's ample reason to have him as an option.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts