Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
link for those with insider http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-col...best-2012-13-non-big-six-conference-teams-ncb

1. Memphis
2. UNLV
3. Saint Louis -Saint Louis is a team that, like Memphis, was beloved by the advanced rating systems but largely shrugged off by the traditionalists. BPI rated the Billikens No. 15 overall team entering the NCAA tournament, but they received just a 9-seed and the tall order of facing fellow advanced metric darling Memphis in the first round. They beat the Tigers and put a real scare into the 1-seeded Michigan State Spartansbefore bowing out. Saint Louis can be underrated by the eye test because it plays slow, grinding, defense-first basketball.
The good news is that the keys to the Billikens' defense are all back -- the extraordinary 25 percent defensive rebounding rate of junior Dwayne Evans, the ball pressure of juniors Mike McCall Jr. and Jordair Jett and the rim protection of junior Rob Loe. The bad news is that their offense went through departed senior Brian Conklin, a combo forward who was one of the most dominant post scorers in the nation. Point guard Kwamain Mitchell and forward Cody Ellis are both proven 3-point bombers. If the Billikens can put together an interior attack that still gets Mitchell and Ellis shots, they should be top-25 material.

4. Creighton
5. Gonzaga
6. San Diego St.
7. New Mexico
8. Davidson
9. VCU - It shouldn't be considered a shock if the Rams' defense is the best in the country. They placed six players in the top 350 in steal percentage last year, and they're all back, including national leader Briante Weber.
Star forward Bradford Burgess has graduated, though, and that means points will be harder to come by.
10. Butler - Defensive superstar Ronald Nored graduated, but Butler has plenty of talent on the roster.
Last year's biggest issue was 27 percent 3-point shooting, and that should be remedied nicely with transfer Rotnei Clarke and freshman Kellen Dunham -- two of the best shooters in the country -- in the 2013 rotation.

Next tier: BYU, Harvard, Murray State, Ohio, South Dakota State, Saint Mary's

·
The Professor
1,025 Posts
I will not be surprised if Xavier cracks this list before conference play. They are young, but very talented. Of course I am somewhat biased on the subject.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
That list makes a lot of sense to me. Each of those teams returns the core of their players, and some have picked up proven transfers.

We graduated one of the best backcourts in the country and a 7' center. What we start with (other than Dez) is pretty much unproven. But the new class seems promising so I'm looking forward to a great A10 season.

(we can sneak up on people)

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Still a lot of disrespect to X and Temple. I dont think people realize nationally the depth Temple has this year. Yeah, we're undersized, but we always defend well and should score a ton this year.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Still a lot of disrespect to X and Temple. I dont think people realize nationally the depth Temple has this year. Yeah, we're undersized, but we always defend well and should score a ton this year.
Temple needs to earn respect, one in out in the A10 Tourney and NCAA.

However, extremely jealous that your best recruit is the son of a UMass player.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Temple needs to earn respect, one in out in the A10 Tourney and NCAA.

However, extremely jealous that your best recruit is the son of a UMass player.
There is also another UMass connection with recruit Daniel Dingle whose brother Dana went to UMass. ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
We all know Temple is a perennial power and will be solid again. But there are legitimate questions about them this year.

You mentioned one concern - about them being undersized.

And yes Temple has depth at the 2 and 3 positions, but I would think even Temple fans have to be concerned about their point guard position, and depth at that position, this season. DiLeo is more of a role player in the A-10 (and that's not a bad thing, all teams need guys like that) and Cummings is a sophomore who averaged 6.3 minutes a game last season. It sounds like Cummings has talent, but playing 25+ minutes a night as a point guard in college is not the easiest thing to just jump right into and play like you're a senior, especially with as little experience as he got last season. I'm assuming, like most young, inexperienced players, that he will have his ups and downs this season as he develops and learns.

And Wyatt, as good as he is, really isn't a traditional point guard - he's basically a two guard.

I think Temple will be good this year, but I think it will be tough for them to be in the top 4 of the A-10 this year.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I can only assume that the omission of UMass from this list means that they were granted an exemption and included among the BCS schools. As potential national championship contenders, that is of course their rightful place.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
We all know Temple is a perennial power and will be solid again. But there are legitimate questions about them this year.

You mentioned one concern - about them being undersized.

And yes Temple has depth at the 2 and 3 positions, but I would think even Temple fans have to be concerned about their point guard position, and depth at that position, this season. DiLeo is more of a role player in the A-10 (and that's not a bad thing, all teams need guys like that) and Cummings is a sophomore who averaged 6.3 minutes a game last season. It sounds like Cummings has talent, but playing 25+ minutes a night as a point guard in college is not the easiest thing to just jump right into and play like you're a senior, especially with as little experience as he got last season. I'm assuming, like most young, inexperienced players, that he will have his ups and downs this season as he develops and learns.

And Wyatt, as good as he is, really isn't a traditional point guard - he's basically a two guard.

I think Temple will be good this year, but I think it will be tough for them to be in the top 4 of the A-10 this year.
I cant wait for people to see how good Will Cummings is.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I can only assume that the omission of UMass from this list means that they were granted an exemption and included among the BCS schools. As potential national championship contenders, that is of course their rightful place.
It's a common mistake, due to our vast successes of the past.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I cant wait for people to see how good Will Cummings is.
As I said, it sounds like Cummings has talent. But the A-10 is a league where you have a lot of really good point guards (Chaz Williams, Kevin Dilliard, Tyreek Duren, Cedrick Lindsay, etc) who have a lot of experience.

Just realize it might take some time for a sophomore who only averaged 6.3 minutes a game (while playing in 21 games as a freshman) to perform at a high level, especially in a league with as many talented guards as the A-10.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Still don't understand the Butler love. They weren't very good last year. They did add a 4 star recruit, but I don't see how untested freshmen get them into the top 10 list here. I'd put X and TU over them.
They've had more postseason success recently than X and TU (close with X) and they didn't lose as much. At least I think that's the thinking, not sure I agree with it. I did read one analyst make a fairly good argument that their biggest weakness last year was outside shooting, and that their recruits are supposed to be very good at that.

·
Registered
709 Posts
They've had more postseason success recently than X and TU (close with X) and they didn't lose as much. At least I think that's the thinking, not sure I agree with it. I did read one analyst make a fairly good argument that their biggest weakness last year was outside shooting, and that their recruits are supposed to be very good at that.

Butlers success is more quality in the sense they went further in the tourney. X's success has been more of quantity with more NCAA visits to the sweet sixteen or elite eight finishes over the past decade then most every other school in the country save a few.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Not sure about Butler pick either. This is a league unlike most of the BCS that has been traditionally dominated by upper classmen teams. Not saying there haven't been stud freshmen but we don't get freshmen that avg 15 ppg and are one and done.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Still don't understand the Butler love. They weren't very good last year. They did add a 4 star recruit, but I don't see how untested freshmen get them into the top 10 list here. I'd put X and TU over them.
Butler also has Rotnei Clarke, a senior this year, who is eligible to play this season after sitting out last year. He led Arkansas in scoring as a junior before he transferred to Butler. Sharpshooting guard.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Will Cummings is going to have the same kind of sophomore year that Khalif Wyatt experienced.

Khalif Wyatt
Freshman - 1.9 MIN / 0.5 PTS
Sophomore - 20.7 MIN / 10.1 PTS

Will Cummings
Freshman - 6.3 MIN / 1.4 PTS
Sophomore - To be determined

I know it's a very bold prediction, but Cummings is an incredibly solid player and was a huge pick up for us in 2011. As JHG previously posted, Temple is expecting really big things out of him this year. I think he'll deliver.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Butlers success is more quality in the sense they went further in the tourney. X's success has been more of quantity with more NCAA visits to the sweet sixteen or elite eight finishes over the past decade then most every other school in the country save a few.
Like I said, it's close. I'd take Butler's record and you've got to expect they'll get more attention from the media after making 2 straight final games (final four teams get a level above in exposure), but they have had other success too.

Furthest reached since 2000 in NCAAs:
Butler: 2 1st rounds, 2 2nd rounds, 2 sweet sixteens, and 2 championship games.
Xavier: 3 1st rounds, 3 2nd rounds, 3 sweet sixteens, and 2 elite eights.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts