Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
I won't listen to anyone who advocates drafting a QB in the high first round. It makes no sense. The drop from Rodgers to Eli isn't nearly as much as the drop from Foster to Turner. Yes QB stats are up, they are up across the board. Eli threw for 5000 yards last year and you can probably get him in the 6th Round and everyone in your league will laugh at you when you do it.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Yeah I've drafted Rodgers in round 1 two years in a row and my backs/receivers got hurt last year so I was screwed...

The play is probably the same it's been for the last 10 years...take two quarterbacks in rounds 5-8 from that upper mid level tier... Marc Bulger/Trent Green in 2003...Eli/Rivers/Romo types this year

·
aka Chilltown
3,750 Posts
Going to go for what worked for me last year and in years past.

Back in 04 or so I had the 1-2 with Culpepper and Moss during Culpepper's monster season.. Pep had his 38TDs or so while Moss got hurt but still put up 13 of thise TDs.

Last year I had the combo of Stafford and Calvin and it was glorious. No matter what I do, I am going to aim for one of the major connections. Brady/Gronk. Brees/Graham. Stafford/Calvin. Sure you can't do it with everyone, but I see at least 3 combos like this that can seriously dominate. Rodgers/Nelson is another that I probably consider a lock for big time consistent double dip points.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
Connection is overrated in fantasy. Yes you get double points for scores, but in the end it's all about picking the best guys. And when they don't have a good week it's doubly bad. Diversifying decreases the odds of both players flopping on the same week. You had a great team with Stafford/Calvin because they were great players, but fact remains that your team would have been better with Cam/Calvin.

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
I won't listen to anyone who advocates drafting a QB in the high first round. It makes no sense. The drop from Rodgers to Eli isn't nearly as much as the drop from Foster to Turner. Yes QB stats are up, they are up across the board. Eli threw for 5000 yards last year and you can probably get him in the 6th Round and everyone in your league will laugh at you when you do it.
There's no problem with drafting a QB high in my opinion, I mostly just think it is important not to be too rigid in your approach. I play in a league that's about 19 years old and even though we're not a 6 point per passing TD league my assumption is that Rodgers will go in the top 5. You're right that you can hold off from a value-based-drafting (taking into account the depth at that position, lineup requirements in your league, etc...) perspective and maybe do better for yourself later, but there is some value in taking a known commodity like Aaron Rodgers. If you were the guy that drafted Cam Newton or Matt Stafford last year waiting worked out perfectly (I had Stafford in one league)... if you were the guy that rolled the dice on Roethlisberger or Josh Freeman, you probably lagged behind others at the QB position. In my league Aaron Rodgers put up 29 ppg to Eli Manning's 20 ppg. Rodgers is one of only a handful of QBs over the last couple of decades that I would throw into this category, but I wouldn't hesitate to take him starting at about 3 or 4.

Interestingly, last year there was a 12 ppg gap between the #1 and #12 QBs (12 team league). Assuming you start 2 rbs per team, the more apt comparison should be between Arian Foster and whoever you project to be the 24th best RB, not Michael Turner. Anyway, it is all about tiers to me and knowing where guys are going to go, who is going to fall to you where, etc... If you do go QB in round 1 you're likely going to have to grab a RB in round 2 and contend with a run of receivers in round 3 (Usually you'd like to be the one to start the run, otherwise you'd likely hold off and try to grab your RB2 if there's better value there)... either way you're going to have to have a few sleepers in mind to fill in your RB2 and your WRs... not impossible by any means.

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts
The drop from Rodgers to Eli is absolutely significant, and that was even with Eli having a career year.

Take a look at the total points on the season in the BBF Fantasy League. Brees-Rodgers-Newton-Brady-Stafford. That's not top 5 QB, that's top 5 total points of any and every player in the league (4 point per passing TD). So please explain to me why it's so foolish to draft a QB in the high first round?

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
I've never drafted a quarterback in the 1st round in over a decade of playing fantasy football, but I'm not ruling it out in my big money league this year. Quite frankly, it has more to do with my lack of confidence in any of the top RBs after Foster, Rice and McCoy than anything else. I am with Nimreitz about a guy like Eli though. In an ideal world, I'm getting a top 3 pick, drafting Foster/Rice/McCoy and waiting a few rounds before taking one of the Mannings, Vick, Romo or Rivers and I'll be very happy.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
Until the Richardson and Mathews injuries I was actually pretty confident in RBs this year, partly because no one else is. I see an insanely deep WR and QB pool, but I don't see any valuable running backs at all past ~20 this year with the exception of Hillis and Tate and some other handcuffs. However I see a massive 2nd tier going from CJ2K all the way down to Sproles. Nab 3 of these guys and then pluck underrated WRs. Wait on a QB.

Christopher Harris made a good point about last year that with Manning and Vick and some other issues for the upper/mid QBs, the top QBs looked more elite than they usually are because the middle was almost non-existent.

Anyway, I want Julio Jones. BAD. I've bumped him to my #2 WR.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
The drop from Rodgers to Eli is absolutely significant, and that was even with Eli having a career year.

Take a look at the total points on the season in the BBF Fantasy League. Brees-Rodgers-Newton-Brady-Stafford. That's not top 5 QB, that's top 5 total points of any and every player in the league (4 point per passing TD). So please explain to me why it's so foolish to draft a QB in the high first round?
QBs always score more points broheim. It's not about points scored, it's about points above the last starter, or alternately, points above a replacement level player. While it looks closer this year taking last season's stats (due in part to the disappearance of the Vick/Manning class of players last year) RBs are still the more valuable position. The difference from Foster-McCoy-Rice to the last starting RB is more than the difference from Brees-Rodgers-Brady to the last starting QB.

And don't forget that Cam and Stafford weren't exactly 1st or 2nd round picks last year.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
Until the Richardson and Mathews injuries I was actually pretty confident in RBs this year, partly because no one else is. I see an insanely deep WR and QB pool, but I don't see any valuable running backs at all past ~20 this year with the exception of Hillis and Tate and some other handcuffs. However I see a massive 2nd tier going from CJ2K all the way down to Sproles. Nab 3 of these guys and then pluck underrated WRs. Wait on a QB.

Christopher Harris made a good point about last year that with Manning and Vick and some other issues for the upper/mid QBs, the top QBs looked more elite than they usually are because the middle was almost non-existent.

Anyway, I want Julio Jones. BAD. I've bumped him to my #2 WR.
Not thrilled about the possibility of Jones-Drew, Mathews or Johnson with my first rounder this year. This year, I'd rather take Brady or Brees at the end of the 1st round than take a RB with questions. I feel a lot more comfortable about doing that and grabbing Matt Forte, Darren McFadden or Adrian Peterson in the 2nd.

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
I pick 9 of 12 in my main money league and I'm leaning towards Brees at this point. I don't think I've drafted a QB in the first round since I took Steve Young in 1994 (he threw for 35 tds and ran for 7 that year, which was great for 1994... a little lucky).

·
KVBL Champion
7,108 Posts
I have Julio Jones as one of my 3 keepers in my main league (ie. for money) along with Ray Rice and Rob Gronkowski. TE is a deep position but Gronk is one of my fave players.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
I pick 9 of 12 in my main money league and I'm leaning towards Brees at this point. I don't think I've drafted a QB in the first round since I took Steve Young in 1994 (he threw for 35 tds and ran for 7 that year, which was great for 1994... a little lucky).
McFadden and Forte, tho!

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts
QBs always score more points broheim. It's not about points scored, it's about points above the last starter, or alternately, points above a replacement level player. While it looks closer this year taking last season's stats (due in part to the disappearance of the Vick/Manning class of players last year) RBs are still the more valuable position. The difference from Foster-McCoy-Rice to the last starting RB is more than the difference from Brees-Rodgers-Brady to the last starting QB.

And don't forget that Cam and Stafford weren't exactly 1st or 2nd round picks last year.
The point differential between Rodgers and Big Ben last year in our BBF league was 184.62, the difference between McCoy and Mike Tolbert was 130.1.

I used the 2nd best players at QB and RB since the 1st ranked players are typically outliers. Using the number one guys (Brees at QB and Rice at RB) in that same comp the QB vs QB would be 190.84 and RB vs RB would be 146.54.

QB's score more points, and the elite ones are significantly better than the rest of them. Your opinions are based off of past stigmas that aren't nearly as applicable nowadays.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
I'm not sure how you got your information because stats for that league isn't readily available on yahoo. Via ESPN it is close, but the difference between the #1 and #14 QB is 170; the difference between the #1 and #28 RB is 174. Using your 2-14 system (a ridiculous notion and likely cherry picked to help your own argument) it's still a difference of 2 points in favor of RBs. I shall indeed run the math on our BBF league using my projections for this coming year and report back, however.

I will also admit that the BBF league is a little different because it only starts 2 RBs and no flex, so elite RBs are less valuable than in most leagues.

EDIT: Ran the auction numbers. Top RB is still the most valuable player on the board. Less valuable is the difference between the top starter and the lowest starter (because predicting that is very difficult exactly) is still in favor of the RB as the top position, then QB, then WR, then TE.

However, the numbers also indicate that it is much more defensible taking a QB high in the first round in the BBF league than in others.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts