Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Extra Spicy Takes
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I would start this thread since the game is an hour away and I haven't seen anything yet. Hopefully we worked on turnovers and transition Offense/Defense

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
O'Day seems out of his element so far, hopefully he settles down.

Kilpatrick is going to be special, just ripped down a board. Thought it was Voelkel.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Wouldn't mind seeing Harrison get a couple minutes. We need some instant offense to get this going. Lots of dribbling around.....

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Taggart with some solid minutes at the end of the fist half, I thought he played great D.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Just back from the game.. decent crowd for an exhibition game. The first half the offense was not running smoothly, to say the least. Concordia was defending pretty tightly, and UVM was finding it hard to get the ball inside. Towards the end of the first half I thought things were finally starting to click for the Cats.

The second half became steadily easier for the Cats as they began to put some distance between them and Concordia. I thought that Ethan O'Day finally started to show why we wanted him. He look like he was gaining confidence on the court and especially around the rim. My November miracle was getting two of my kids, including my UVM student daughter, to come to the game with me. Although no basketball fan, she did go to NMH games when she was there last year, and even she noticed the difference today between that and college play.

I think Ethan will be more than fine. All the freshman need time to find their feet and learn the UVM system. Kilpatrick had some nice stretches, and Harrison Taggart looked like he will be able to contribute. Even Troy Davine got a few minutes, but I'd say looked a bit less D1-ready than the others.

Trey Blue looked calm and mature, as you would expect from someone with his experience.

Overall I was encouraged by UVM's second half. Rugg started to play with more aggression as the game progressed, although I also think UVM did eventually just wear Concordia down.

It should be an interesting season. Let's go, Cats!

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Taggart was the fire starter this game. It was his "talk" that got UVM going. I wish I knew what he was saying.

A lot of standing around on offense for UVM in the first half, just like against St. Mikes. Only the player with the ball was moving and they got 2X, 3X and 4X teamed.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Great second half by the Catamounts. O'Day was ineffective in the first half but had a five minute stretch in the second half that was terrific. Ten points, two dunks (one tip dunk that will definitely make the highlights). I will say this about O'Day, although he has a long way to go, he is moving all the time for a big man. At times he's out of position but the good thing is that he is tough to box out because he cutting to different spots on the floor all the time.

The biggest positive from today's exhibition was the perimeter defense. When we went to zone they had a very tough time. The biggest negative is that our big men had a very difficult time finishing around the hoop. Clancy and Luke missed a bunch of bunnies. The good news is that they got their own rebound and finished on the second and sometimes third try. When we face stronger front court players those second and third opportunities will not be there. They need to finish better around the basket. This team is sorely missing a banger inside. I wish we had Crenca available. We could really use a player of his size right now. The other thing that concerned me was the dry spells on offense. We had at least on shot clock violation and a few forced shots because we didn't attack early enough in the shot clock.

For the final three minutes we had the four true freshmen on the floor with Clancy. It wasn't pretty but it was fun to see so many new faces in the green and gold.

·
Banned
6,174 Posts
so my opinions on players after the first two games. I was only able to listen to the concordia game 2nd half as the free internet feed bunked out.

Luke Apfeld- He's going to be great this year. Love his hustle, his shooting touch. The first game his 5 to's was not his fault. Atleast two were the result of bad passes. He didnt have the best shooting percentage against concordia but was able to get his own offensive rebounds a few times.

Rugg- Wow. He has improved so much over the offseason. He added a bunch of muscle. He is a legit PF in the AE. He can score down low with some nice footwork. Great hustle. Can shoot the 3. Has always been an offensive player hopefully his defense improved as as well. The added muscle should help a lot down low.

Rusin- I like his game. He is a good scorer who can score in bunches. Good shooter. His first game he had some bad passes that took away from a high percentage night. The second game he couldnt get his shot to fall. He will be one of the top 3 scorers on the team with rugg and apfeld.

Sandro- Doesnt try to do to much. He is efficient with the few shots he takes which is nice to have in a role player. Sneaky getting a few steals the first game. Hasnt racked up a lot of ast or turnovers. Doesnt create much off the dribble for teammates but is a threat shooting the ball. I really like him taking pressure shots at the end of the game. He has came up big a few times last year.

Voelkel- He is Mr. Everything. The one big difference I've seen is he is a lot more comfortable shooting this year. He has taken a couple 3's the first couple of games. He didnt hit them but 1 rimmed out. It's the confidence to take them that matters. He has 10 points in the last game. He has hit his free throws so far. I dont see him scoring 10 ppg but I see him in the 6-8 mark. I think the biggest thing is having opposing defenses no he can take and hit an outside shot.

·
Banned
6,174 Posts
O'day- A lot of people are harsh on him expecting a lot from a much hyped recruit. He is a freshmen. Freshmen will have the biggest strides in a season. He has shown some nerves but he has also shown the athleticism and hustle he brings to the table. I like him as a great big to have off the bench. People mention him starting but clancy rugg is playing great right now. The only way I see that happening is with an injury or the coaching staff deciding rugg plays better with the second team as a go to scorer.

Trey- Some people like his calm presence on the floor. I like it as well just not his production. He doesnt make a lot of dumb decisions but he is 3-13 with 1 ast and 3 to's. This team is still gelling some to's and miscue's will happen but Trey hasnt produced. I like the extra body off the bench. I like him over Elbaum late in games because he can hit ft's. He can play both g positions which is nice. I'm still waiting for him to have a good game though.

Elbaum- Great defense but offensively he hasnt shown much. can't hit ft's and has more to's than ast. Hopefully he needs some time to gel with teammates as well.

Kilpatrick- Still a freshmen. Great athlete. Wont see much time backing up Voelkel this year. He should develop into a good player for us.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
O'day- A lot of people are harsh on him expecting a lot from a much hyped recruit.-uvm4life20
If you guys HYPE him don't you think expectations will follow. After all it was the UVM people who did all the hyping!

You reap what you sow!

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
If you guys HYPE him don't you think expectations will follow. After all it was the UVM people who did all the hyping!

You reap what you sow!
I am not at all down on O'Day, he is looking like a future force in this league. I think of him as an Evan Fjeld type player and he is way ahead of where Fjeld was after two games.

·
Banned
6,174 Posts

You reap what you sow!
I am big on O'day as anyone but I have reasonable expectations for a freshmen big man. Some people expect as much from a freshmen big man as they do a freshmen guard. Big men have the biggest adjustment to make going from high school to college. I also don't hype recruits for what they do as a freshmen but what they will do as an upper classmen.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts