Qyntel
Outlaw
Rasheed
Ruben
???? 8th spot up for grabs

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Originally posted by <b>duckman1734</b>!
as of right now, what 8 players do you think the blazers will protect

DA
Miles
Z Bo
Qyntel
Outlaw
Rasheed
Ruben
???? 8th spot up for grabs
I would add Person or whoever we get as our 12th man, maybe both and let them take Ruben if they want.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Actually I don't think POR has to protect either Miles or Wallace, as Miles is a RFA and Sheed is an UFA, same as Person. So CHA cannot take them and POR doesn't need to protect them either.

At this rate I see POR having LESS than 8 players to protect. As I for sure would leave Damon and Ruben unprotected.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
I would protect

SG Qyntel
PF Randolph, Outlaw
C Stepania
FA Person, Miles and Wallace

Keeping Stepania just do to a small contract amount

EXPOSING
DA, Patterson, Davis and Damon to let Charlotte pick from
All for contract reasons.... I like DA, but he is hurt a lot and has a decent sized contract. Not bad, but still some $

·
Registered
519 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Kmurph</b>!
Actually I don't think POR has to protect either Miles or Wallace, as Miles is a RFA and Sheed is an UFA, same as Person. So CHA cannot take them and POR doesn't need to protect them either.
Yes but didn't i read somewhere that if a RFA is picked that he becomes a UFA and can sign with any team..i think i read this somewhere the last time we had a EXPANSION DRAFT

EDIT:i was right about the RFA i did read it somewhere it was from RJG's post over at the Charlotte forum:

"An interesting note I came across from Charlotte.com:
The NBA has ruled that any team with a restricted free agent in the summer of 2004 would have to count him among the eight veterans protected from the Charlotte expansion draft, or risk losing him. Forcing teams to protect restricted free agents figures to improve the talent pool from which Charlotte will pick.
But think about the opposite scenario: What happens if a restricted free agent in 2004 -- a player such as Chicago's Jamal Crawford or Cleveland's Chris Mihm -- is left unprotected in the expansion draft?
Under the rules, if Charlotte drafts that player, he immediately becomes an unrestricted free agent. You might ask why Charlotte would draft such a player -- who, by definition, has no obligation to play in Charlotte. But in fact, that could be a great strategy for managing the new team's salary cap."

Plus i have a question i am not sure about..could someone be picked from one team and traded to another team?

like Jason Terry being unprotected and Charlotte picking him and trading him to us..not saying that will happen but can it..i thought again last expansion draft we had that some players switched teams or was i wrong....:confused:

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Originally posted by <b>blazerfan4life</b>!

Plus i have a question i am not sure about..could someone be picked from one team and traded to another team?
Good question. A quick perusal of the CBA and of Larry ****'s FAQ hasn't shown me any restriction, so I'm guessing the answer is yes. However, the league might consider the expansion draft to be a "signing" of a FA of sorts, so the 3 month rule might apply. That would be the only possible restriction that I can think of. If this were true, Charlotte couldn't make any trades until the end of September. Otherwise, they should be free to make any trades that fit within the normal parameters of trades.

As for the original question, I would guess that the Blazers would protect:

Randolph, Miles, Woods, Outlaw and perhaps Stepania. Everybody else would be up for grabs.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,473 Posts
Randolph, Woods, Outlaw and Miles.

Take everyone else, feel free.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.