Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uncertainty opens the door for wild speculation. Herewith, an early, early -- did I say early yet? -- top 10 for '05-06 with a classic feel.

1. Duke

Incoming freshman Josh McRoberts, the McDonald's All-America Game MVP, will bunk with Syracuse, N.Y., point guard Greg Paulus, and Coach K couldn't fill his holes any more effectively. McRoberts, a polished post player, can slide in alongside Shelden Williams in the frontcourt (likely sending Shav Randolph to the bench). Paulus can either start at the point or provide a talented-backup option behind Sean Dockery. With two All-Americans back (J.J. Redick and Williams), and only one starter lost (Daniel Ewing), the Blue Devils' case for No. 1 is compelling.

2. UNC

The real question is not where should the Heels be ranked, but rather, which Heels are we ranking? See the above prognosis on the Carolina wipeout. In the event that the exodus is seven deep (everyone, including Marvin Williams, May and Felton leave), then Roy's boys don't make this list. If May and Felton stay -- and star recruit Tyler Hansbrough fills one of the vacated forward spots -- then Carolina is No. 1 or 2, and gunning for another Final Four.

3. Kentucky

The Wildcats lose one starter in Chuck Hayes who was the team's most vital ingredient. UK will be backcourt-dominated in '05-06, with Rajon Rondo, Patrick Sparks and Kelenna Azubuike as a formidable 1-2-3 combo. Azubuike had an inauspicious ending to his junior season, as he dribbled out the clock -- without getting off a shot -- in overtime against Michigan State. As for Sparks, who hit the toe-to-the-line 3 to send that Elite Eight game to OT, you get the feeling that his legend is not over in Lexington.

4. Villanova

In the Wildcats' locker room following their near-upset of UNC (the traveling call still stings), Randy Foye sat on a stool, his blue jersey discarded in front of him on the floor. He didn't look devastated; he looked driven. Next season had to be on his mind, and for good reason: Everyone -- every starter, plus electric guard Kyle Lowry -- is back for '05-06. With Foye, Allan Ray, Mike Nardi and Lowry, 'Nova will have the best backcourt in the nation. I'll admit I didn't get a real taste of these 'Cats until the tournament, but they were impressive. The Big East is bulking up with new blood next season, but one of its old standards -- Villanova -- is best suited to make a Final Four run.

5. Texas

The Longhorns still made the tourney, despite the chaos in Austin -- Mike Williams' delay in joining the team, P.J. Tucker's ineligibility and LaMarcus Aldridge's injury -- and that's a testament to the leadership skills of young point guard Daniel Gibson. Rick Barnes' '05-06 squad looked too good for him to consider bolting for Virginia; with Oklahoma State stuck in massive rebuilding (and likely to lose out on super-recruit Gerald Green), and Kansas also in transition, the Big 12 race has a football feel, with the 'Horns and Sooners as the early favorite
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/luke_winn/04/05/preseason.top.10/1.html

6. UConn

As long as the team remains in the hands of Marcus Williams, a junior-to-be who developed into one of the nation's top pass-first point men at the end of this season, the Huskies will be in good shape. They'll make do with a defensive-oriented backcourt in Josh Boone (as long as he stays), Hilton Armstrong and 7-foot freshman Andrew Bynum. Look for Rudy Gay to pick up the scoring slack from forward Charlie Villanueva's departure. UConn is counting on A.J. Price -- a phenomenal point-guard prospect before he suffered a brain hemorrhage at the beginning of the season -- to return and provide much-needed backcourt depth.

7. Oklahoma

The Sooners started '04-05 entirely off the radar, and finished tied for the Big 12 regular-season title. Kelvin Sampson won't enjoy the luxury of stealth next season, but returns one of the nation's best frontcourts in Kevin Bookout and Taj Gray, both seniors-to-be. With another summer to mature, OU's guards -- especially current sophomore Drew Lavender and freshman David Godbold -- should provide a more consistent complement to their stars in the paint.

8. Michigan State

The Spartans' bid adieu to a senior class -- Kelvin Torbert, Alan Anderson and Chris Hill -- that seemed like it spent eight years in East Lansing. But was there any question, early in MSU's Final Four run, that sophomore Shannon Brown and juniors Maurice Ager and Paul Davis were taking control of the team? Freshman point Drew Neitzel won a starting role late in the season and gained two years' worth of experience in the tourney, and will return as a confident floor general. Can this group of Spartans handle what its elders couldn't -- a high preseason ranking -- and win a Big Ten title?

9. Washington

Three-fourths of the Huskies' vaunted backcourt -- point guard Will Conroy, sharpshooter Tre Simmons and sparkplug Nate Robinson (a likely early draft entrant) -- will no longer harass the Pac-10. Good thing Lorenzo Romar has a banner recruiting class on its way in: Superstar-in-the-making Martell Webster and bruising forward Jon Brockman, both local products, will have an instant impact, and a nice stable of talent is left over in guard Brandon Roy (leaning toward staying) and forwards Jamaal Williams, Mike Jensen and Bobby Jones. Florida transfer Ryan Appleby may take over at the point, and Washington should begin the season as the No. 1 team on the left coast.

10. LSU

The Tigers won 14 of their last 18 games -- before that ugly loss to UAB in the first round of the NCAA tournament -- and lose only Antonio Hudson from their starting lineup. John Brady recruited a suitable replacement -- five-star, 6-7 forward Tasmin Mitchell, to take Hudson's place alongside two powerful big men in Brandon Bass (SEC Player of the Year) and Glen Davis, and two sub-6-foot guards in Tack Minor and Darrel Mitchell. LSU had the talent to make it to the Elite Eight in '04-05, and should be hungry after its tourney flop. It just has to convince Bass to stick around for one more year in Baton Rouge.

OTHERS TO WATCH: Wake Forest will be near the top if Chris Paul passes on the NBA, Gonzaga, Illinois (if Brown stays), Louisville, Boston College, UCLA, Florida. And to avoid complaints, pretty much every other team out there with a pulse -- spare me the "How-can-you-possibly-have-X-here-or-not-here" harassment. It's been a brilliant season -- and that calls for some peace and quiet.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
My top 10 is better:

1. Oklahoma
2. UConn
3. Kentucky
4. Duke
5. Gonzaga
6. Villanova
7. LSU
8. Boston College
9. Michigan St
10. Texas

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JuniorNoboa said:
My top 10 is better:

1. Oklahoma
2. UConn
3. Kentucky
4. Duke
5. Gonzaga
6. Villanova
7. LSU
8. Boston College
9. Michigan St
10. Texas
Duke #4? are you crazy. There only loosing one starter in Daniel Ewing and are getting two McDonald All Americans in Josh McRoberts and Greg Paulus. Combine thoses players with J.J Redick and there 4 returning starters and now there's a scary team

·
Registered
700 Posts
How many McDonald's All American's were on Duke's team this year and where did that get them?

They'll be a good team but not as good as UCONN.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
superdude211 said:
Duke #4? are you crazy. There only loosing one starter in Daniel Ewing and are getting two McDonald All Americans in Josh McRoberts and Greg Paulus. Combine thoses players with J.J Redick and there 4 returning starters and now there's a scary team

Thanks for calling me crazy .....

And the most likely scenario right now, based on heresay, is that Shelden Williams is entering the draft.

Perhaps you have heard of the draft? If SI and yourself want to make predictions based on unrealistic assumptions go right ahead.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I think OU and Texas will be about equal. Texas will have 5 mcdonald All americans on the floor along with Dowell and Abrams. It's fun having these rankings so early lol :biggrin:. I'll make a top 10 until after May when players cannot declare for the nba anymore. I like UT's number 5 ranking though.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
UConn or Villanova is going to win the title next year. UConn has 6 pros on their roster. That wins the championship almost every year. Picking Oklahoma to win the title is a losing proposition, because you have to remember Kelvin Sampson's tournament record. The man is not a good tournament coach his Final Four in 2002 not withstanding.

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
JuniorNoboa said:
Thanks for calling me crazy .....

And the most likely scenario right now, based on heresay, is that Shelden Williams is entering the draft.

Perhaps you have heard of the draft? If SI and yourself want to make predictions based on unrealistic assumptions go right ahead.
If Williams does enter the draft, I think Duke should be lower than 4.

However, if he stays, I think they will be the best team in the country (depending on who returns at UNC).

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
The Truth said:
If Williams does enter the draft, I think Duke should be lower than 4.

However, if he stays, I think they will be the best team in the country (depending on who returns at UNC).
Your probably right. #4 could be a bit generous if Williams leaves

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
HKF said:
UConn or Villanova is going to win the title next year. UConn has 6 pros on their roster. That wins the championship almost every year. Picking Oklahoma to win the title is a losing proposition, because you have to remember Kelvin Sampson's tournament record. The man is not a good tournament coach his Final Four in 2002 not withstanding.
When I do my rankings it is based on my expectations where they will be as we enter the tournament.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Williams has said he won't leave and the buzz from the team managers are that Williams will stay for his senior year. However, we all know how much that means. I'd say it's 50/50 right now.

·
The Bilson = Jayhawk Love
6,884 Posts
HKF said:
yeah Uconn should be scary.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Next year Villanova will finally have some depth in the frontcourt, but they return their entire perimeter attack, have the best backcourt in the country in Ray, Foye, Nardi and the sparkplug Kyle Lowry (man I love this kid. He's a warrior).

PG - Nardi (Jr.)/Lowry (So.)
SG - Ray (Sr.)/Bilal Benn (Fr.)
SG - Foye (Sr.)/Dwayne Anderson (Fr.) - this guy is a stud.
PF - Curtis Sumpter (Sr.)/Dante Cunningham (Fr.) - plays both WF/PF like Sumpter
C - Will Sheridan (Jr.)/Jason Fraser (Sr.)/Chris Charles (Sr.)/Robbie Jackson (Fr.)/Frank Tschuisi (Fr.)

Villanova will finally be able to go big on many occasions with a backcourt of Nardi/Ray/Foye and Lowry at two of the spots, Sumpter at the 3 and then the bigs in the ball game. If Nova can get some contributions from the bench in the post, with all the extra bodies there, they will be dangerous. I have a hard time seeing them not get to the Final Four. Their backcourt is too good not to.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Oh and Alex Galindo is transferring from Kansas to go back home closer to NJ.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
When I redo my brackets in about three months time, and if Duke is without Williams, I think it's fairly realistic to have two Big East teams as 1 seeds (UConn and Nova).

The Big East will be deep, but there won't be that many great schools. They might be able to run through that schedule easily enough to both get good records to warrant #1 seeds.

Then again in 2004, everyone knew that UConn was the best team in the country, but they did not always play like it and ended up a 2 seed.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
JuniorNoboa said:
When I redo my brackets in about three months time, and if Duke is without Williams, I think it's fairly realistic to have two Big East teams as 1 seeds (UConn and Nova).

The Big East will be deep, but there won't be that many great schools. They might be able to run through that schedule easily enough to both get good records to warrant #1 seeds.

Then again in 2004, everyone knew that UConn was the best team in the country, but they did not always play like it and ended up a 2 seed.
Don't forget Gordon broke his nose and was playing with a mask and Okafor was having back problems. UConn I think proved to be the team to beat, when they won the BE tournament without Okafor. Watching Gordon dominate that tournament was special.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts