Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing as how the other thread was all basically "We are better than last year" I put this question to you, are we (this year) better than possibly the greatest Dallas "60-22" Maverick team ever. The team which was one injury away from a possible finals berth etc etc

I'm not sure, how about you?

·
Registered
53 Posts
My...the 2002-2003 was a great team...definitely my favorite...I think!

But I don't have an answer on who is better.

On paper, this season we are better, not on wins and loses but how balanced the team is. We actually play DEFENSE now which is something that haven't really existed in the last six or seven years. We're still a great offensive team but some defense...we're a better at rebounding, better in steals, we have a good balance of youth and veteran leadership.

As for the 2002-2003 season, yeah okay we had a fab-o-lus record and got far in the playoff but if you looked at it, it was pretty simple...

1st round: PORTLAND- we should have easily beaten them with a 4-0 record but they came back to make it a seven game series...so close we could have lost.

2nd round: SACRAMENTO- webber went down, so yeah...definite must win series.

3rd round: SAN ANTONIO- we lost dirk...hence we lost!

...I think that season was mainly comprised of chemistry and luck.

So this season, if we don't make it far at all; it doesn't mean that this team is worst. Playoff games consist of chemistry, skill and LUCK. Whatever will happen, will happpen. The games will be close but the Mavs are gonna give a hard fight and if we lose, it'll hurt but we will all over come.

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never really thought of it that way, nice points. If you look at it this season, we have a harder run to the promised land

1st round: vs Sacramento
2nd round: @ Phoenix
3rd round: @ San Antonio

Very tough considering that San Antonio is amazing at home..so it will be harder to go further this year than 02/03

·
do better
41,522 Posts
maverette04131 said:
My...the 2002-2003 was a great team...definitely my favorite...I think!

But I don't have an answer on who is better.

On paper, this season we are better, not on wins and loses but how balanced the team is. We actually play DEFENSE now which is something that haven't really existed in the last six or seven years. We're still a great offensive team but some defense...we're a better at rebounding, better in steals, we have a good balance of youth and veteran leadership.

As for the 2002-2003 season, yeah okay we had a fab-o-lus record and got far in the playoff but if you looked at it, it was pretty simple...

1st round: PORTLAND- we should have easily beaten them with a 4-0 record but they came back to make it a seven game series...so close we could have lost.

2nd round: SACRAMENTO- webber went down, so yeah...definite must win series.

3rd round: SAN ANTONIO- we lost dirk...hence we lost!

...I think that season was mainly comprised of chemistry and luck.

So this season, if we don't make it far at all; it doesn't mean that this team is worst. Playoff games consist of chemistry, skill and LUCK. Whatever will happen, will happpen. The games will be close but the Mavs are gonna give a hard fight and if we lose, it'll hurt but we will all over come.
I agree with all of you points. We might not end up with as good a record, but this team is more balanced. We play interior defense, and we can win without simply running you out of the Gym, we're a more balanced team. We have a harder road to the Finals this year, but I still think this team can get their. I don't think the 02-03s would have all that much of a chance. We'd get by Sacramento, but the Suns are a better version of us in 02-03, so I think we'd stop there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts