Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've said some nice things about Damon this week. But, I get a little scared when he trots out comments such as this. I hope he doesn't take this situation too much to heart....

"...For the last 24 hours, I've had to sit back and pick myself up, because the bottom line is, we are still in the playoff race and we can still win. And hell, now I've got to lead these guys. Right now everybody is looking at me for leadership, and I'm determined not to let these guys down."

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
just as long as he does not shoot more....

·
Registered
813 Posts
As much crap as we sling on Damon it's nice to see comments like that from him. He has done a better job this year.

I don't care who steps up to the leadership plate as long as someone does it.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Originally posted by <b>talman</b>!

I don't care who steps up to the leadership plate as long as someone does it.
You don't? I sure do.

Leadership is not a neutral state. There are good leaders and bad leaders. I want the Blazers to have good leaders and not bad leaders. That was my major complaint about Sheed - the rest of the team looked to him for leadership and he responded with a so-so effort. The other players looked to him to set the tone, to set the example for them to follow.

Many times, Sheed worked hard on the court, was encouraging to his teammates, set a good example with great team defense, etc. Providing good leadership. But there were plenty of times where his leadership was lacking - he wouldn't lift weights, he wouldn't show up to camp in shape, he let his temper get the best of him, etc.

Now the Blazers have a "leadership void". Somebody needs to step up and take Sheed's spot as the leader of this team. I hope and pray that it is someone who will be a better leader than Sheed, not someone who will be a worse leader.

There is no doubt in my mind that Stoudamire would be a worse leader. It's also clear to me that he is the likely "heir apparent" since he carries the captain's title and has been on this team longer than anyone. He also plays PG (don't give me this "lead guard" crap) - a position often associated with leadership on the court.

This is another reason why I don't have much hope for the Blazers this year. Someone like SAR could become the player that the others look to for leadership - but probably not this year. Zach could eventually be a leader - but probably not this year. Etc., etc. I fear that Damon, by default if nothing else, will indeed be the leader that everyone looks to follow for the rest of the season - and that scares me. Because I don't think he'll be a good leader.

·
Registered
762 Posts
In a similar move executives at Disney have announced that Dopey will now lead the Seven Dwarfs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts