Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Blazers are allowing season ticket holders out of their multi-year commitments.

Also, giving discounts to long term subscribers.

How long until Talkhard finds a way to spin this to make the Blazers management look bad?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2031802

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
my dad got his season ticket renewal info last night (he's signed for another year). Prior to this, he and his ticket partner were both very serious (read: 100%) about canceling their tickets.

Not because they don't like the team (altho his ticket partner is more of a front runner than my dad is). But the cost of games. His tickets, while cheaper than 'street value' due to his contract, were still 50 bucks a game. Thats a fair amount of money to watch a bad team, he says.

Now, before any of you go nuts with that, peep this: He actually knows what it's like to be a fan of a baaaad team. He's been going to games for over 30 years now. He's basically gone to at min 30 games a year since 1973. He's seen some bad teams, and he's seen some great teams.

Now he gets the info yesterday, and gets a pleasant surprise. 2 years ago, he got a 9% decrease in ticket prices (as did, iirc, everyone else). This time, he got a 20% decrease, because he's had season tickets since 77-78.

Thats 1000 bucks off his 2 seats. That now means his seats are 40 bucks a night, instead of 50. He also realizes that the team isn't nearly as bad as the record implies it will be next year (not that we'll be 50 wins next year) and that (unlike some fans) he knows it'll be a marathon, not a race.

It's also a great gesture (that I'm sure some fans will turn into a canzano type bile fest).

So now he's thinking of keeping the tickets for next year, and seeing where things go.

Thats how it should be. We fans need to realize that things aren't as easy as we think they are. ANd that we're still acting like a bunch of spoiled brats.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
This is a ballsy move by the franchise. I think it's a good move, but what they are basically saying is "we know we haven't lived up to your expectations, and we want to prove we're not going to hold you to your contracts while we're underperforming. But we will give you a discount if you have been with us a while and you plan to hang with us."

If the team loses their season ticket holders (which they will be in jeopardy of doing with this move), look for an Atlanta Hawks-like look to the Rose Garden. That said, I've heard enough people say they are thrilled with the move, it's almost encouraged them to stick with the team even more.

We'll see how this plays out, and I've gotta commend the organization for going out on a limb like this. I hope it works out for both parties (the organization and the ticket holders).

-Pop

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SodaPopinski said:
If the team loses their season ticket holders (which they will be in jeopardy of doing with this move), look for an Atlanta Hawks-like look to the Rose Garden. That said, I've heard enough people say they are thrilled with the move, it's almost encouraged them to stick with the team even more.

-Pop
I don't know man...from 12,000 season ticket holders 2 years ago to 2,500 now? I honestly think it can't get much worse than it already is. For the most part, the people who are left are the die hards, but I guess anything is possible.

I think the move is a smart one and done for the right reasons. I'm sure some will disagree.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Man who would want to get out of season-ticket commitments? If I had the money, and I hope I'll have the money someday to get season tickets, I would jump at the opportunity to get season tix. I love going to the games. Watching Outlaw,Telfair,Viktor, Joel,Darius, and Zach is awesome. They may not be winning, but you can't win them all. Our time will come. This team is still fun to watch(except when Pritch palys the vets too much :hurl: ). Bottom line.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Fork said:
I don't know man...from 12,000 season ticket holders 2 years ago to 2,500 now? I honestly think it can't get much worse than it already is. For the most part, the people who are left are the die hards, but I guess anything is possible.

I think the move is a smart one and done for the right reasons. I'm sure some will disagree.
The die-hards need to be rewarded somehow. I don't know whether their tickets should be upgraded for free, or they get gift certificates to the Campus store and nice local restuarants, or let them receiver players jerseys/shoes at the end of the year. Just do something for them. This team has been through a lot and a lot of people hopped off the wagon a long time ago and they stuck it out. I guarentee when we win the title, it'll mean so much more to the die-hards like myself and many on this board then to some wagon jumpin ***-clowns :clown:

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Maybe the Blazers are hoping DA, Ruben and Theo take notice and let the Blazers out of their long term commitments to those players.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
How long until Talkhard finds a way to spin this to make the Blazers management look bad?
What planet are you on? I have no interest in making Blazer management look bad. My gripes are mainly against misbehaving players.

Take a look, and you'll see that I never called for Cheeks' firing, even though other posters did. In fact, I defended Cheeks against the players.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Good move by management.

Even if they can sell 4,000 tickets at $35 a pop, it's much better than only being able to sell 2,000 at $50 a pop.

Yes, I know that those aren't the correct numbers, but you get my point. Cutting your price to increase your sales numbers can often be a smart move if sales are down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts