Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

PORTLAND High-and-tight fastballs?

There were few.

The fans who showed up at Cucina! Cucina! in the Rose Quarter on Tuesday night didn't knock down Trail Blazers president Steve Patterson, interim coach and director of player personnel Kevin Pritchard or center Joel Przybilla.

They didn't impersonate Randy Johnson.

The Blazers are headed to the NBA's draft lottery for the second consecutive season. They are wrapping up one of their worst seasons in franchise history at 24-45, one that has seen its share of difficulties on the court and away from it.

But rather than fire away, most fans tossed batting practice at Tuesday's fan forum. Baseball analogies aside, there were some pointed questions, but most were soft................

.....The evening started with a man in a Lakers cap, which he called a statement, saying he really is a Blazers fan who wants to support the team. But, he said, "You guys have given me nothing. Tell me why I should continue to support the Blazers.".....

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
I like how crapzano basically said how the fans didn't really do anything..

well, maybe the reason the fans didn't "tar and feather" them, is because we don't want to, nor do we think they should be.

Memo to Crapzano: do your own (self justified) dirty work, you pile of ****

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I just read that article and it left me pretty annoyed. Just what "high and tight fastballs" were the fans supposed to throw? The author didn't name any. What's left to be said? How much dead horse beating do these hacks want? The cited questions didn't seem that friendly to me. Everyone knows the team is rebuilding. The fans who cared enough to show up, did so and asked questions related to their concerns and related to the future of the team. This just shows the ongoing desire of the local media for big-news controversy and their attitude of making up problems where none exist. This time they couldn't find anything to blow out of proportion, so they get on the fans for not inventing something for them? Amazing.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I seriously dislike Can'tzano. :puke: From the very first article I read from him.

I guess the only valid questions are negative ones, and the only valid forum for meeting with the fans is a lynching.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Blazer Bert said:
I just read that article and it left me pretty annoyed. Just what "high and tight fastballs" were the fans supposed to throw? The author didn't name any. What's left to be said? How much dead horse beating do these hacks want?
How's about:

-- how does signing Theo Ratiliff to an extension fit in with the plan?
-- would Portland have been better off trading Rasheed Wallace for future pieces, rather than veterans who weren't good enough to help us make the playoffs?
-- why have we invested in so many swing men?
-- would this team be better off with Baron Davis than with NVE (each of them were, in essence, acquired for Dale Davis)?
-- why was Miami willing to sign Qyntel Woods without any serious reservations when Portland wouldn't even let him join the team?
-- what is the status of the money owed to Qyntel?
-- what is the status of the fine against Darius?
-- should Mo Cheeks have been let go earlier?
-- how is Portland going to attract a front-line head coach with the current team?
-- why has every player that Portland's traded away in the last 2 years landed on a significantly better team?
-- does Nash still prefer the "fight" in Kenyon to what Rasheed's got after Rasheed won a title and Kenyon's showing he might have been a Jason Kidd creation? (OK... Nash wasn't there so maybe this one doesn't make sense)
-- is Joel committed to staying in Portland long-term? Does the team's current struggles make him wish he'd signed with another team that's more competitive?

Maybe some of these were asked; I didn't see or hear or read the entire press conference. Maybe some of them are unfair. But I'd say THOSE are "high and tight fastball" questions.

Ed O.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Thanks, Ed O. That's more like it. I was a little too focused this morning on being irritated than thinking about what I might have asked last night. You pose some intelligent, debatable questions, unlike the local writers. I'm not sure most of your questions are even on these guys' radar.

And yes, Mo Cheeks should have been let go earlier (JMHO). And I thought the three extravagent contracts from this summer were questionable (I was hoping for a Randolph-Redd trade while they were both underpaid). But that's water under the bridge. Me personally, I'm trying to look forward. I like your first question about Theo. It seems like whatever plan they had when they overpaid and over extended him may have changed, or may need to be changed. I wonder if that would have received a candid response?

Cheers.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
-- why was Miami willing to sign Qyntel Woods without any serious reservations when Portland wouldn't even let him join the team?
Same reason why Atlanta, LA and Denver all took a risk on J.R. Rider......They were hoping that a change of scenery would be good for him, and if it doesnt work out all they have to do is waive him......

I think why we wouldnt let Qyntel join the team is self explanatory.....The guy hasnt shown any sort of intelligence since he's been in the league.....A guy who shows cops identification of himself with a basketball card or starts a pitbull fighting scheme at his house...But yet he did hit those game winning free throws....

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I was at one of those things when Trader Bob was still here, and it was the same thing. But the Portland media expecting the fans to rehash the same complaints the media has is ridiculous.

The people that were there were there because they wanted to be there, whatever questions they asked were the questions they asked. It is what it is.

Wearing a Lakers cap? That's not much of insult because the Lakers suck. Wear a Sonics cap, that would have a better message.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
Same reason why Atlanta, LA and Denver all took a risk on J.R. Rider......They were hoping that a change of scenery would be good for him, and if it doesnt work out all they have to do is waive him......

I think why we wouldnt let Qyntel join the team is self explanatory.....The guy hasnt shown any sort of intelligence since he's been in the league.....A guy who shows cops identification of himself with a basketball card or starts a pitbull fighting scheme at his house...But yet he did hit those game winning free throws....
Didn't you just make these same points in another thread? Why answer my (hypothetical) questions here?

It's not terribly OT, and I'm not speaking as a moderator here. I just wanted to let you know that my questions weren't ones that I intended to debate here... just examples of what the writer might have expected from fans of the team.

Ed O.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Ed O said:
How's about:

-- why has every player that Portland's traded away in the last 2 years landed on a significantly better team?
This one's pretty easy, actually -- most teams are significantly better than us. Additionally, teams are good (generally) because they good players. So, the idea of dealing to better teams in hopes of getting their better players is attractive. In the case of Sheed, he was dealt to Atlanta for two good players. Atlanta then dealt him to a significantly better team (Detroit). Memphis was at the same level as the Blazers when we traded Bonzi, but they were clearly already climbing, and we were sliding (I won't say falling, because the descent wasn't steep.

As an aside, I wonder if Nash has been hesitent about pulling thetrigger on subsequent trades because of the problems with the Bonzi-Person trade (i.e., he made the trade for PR purposes to get a malcontent out of town, got little in return, and the fans/press slaughtered the deal... so now he doesn't pull a trade unless it's a "good trade")

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Ed O said:
How's about:

-- would Portland have been better off trading Rasheed Wallace for future pieces, rather than veterans who weren't good enough to help us make the playoffs?
-- would this team be better off with Baron Davis than with NVE (each of them were, in essence, acquired for Dale Davis)?
-- how is Portland going to attract a front-line head coach with the current team?
-- does Nash still prefer the "fight" in Kenyon to what Rasheed's got after Rasheed won a title and Kenyon's showing he might have been a Jason Kidd creation? (OK... Nash wasn't there so maybe this one doesn't make sense)
-- is Joel committed to staying in Portland long-term? Does the team's current struggles make him wish he'd signed with another team that's more competitive?

Maybe some of these were asked; I didn't see or hear or read the entire press conference. Maybe some of them are unfair. But I'd say THOSE are "high and tight fastball" questions.

Ed O.
man, that's a nice set of questions. it's pretty hard to honestly answer most of them without (in one way or another) saying "my bad."

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Ed O said:
How's about:

Ed O.
for someone who always seems to have these kinds of questions, you sure don't ever call in and ask eddie...

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
BlazerCaravan said:
This one's pretty easy, actually -- most teams are significantly better than us. Additionally, teams are good (generally) because they good players. So, the idea of dealing to better teams in hopes of getting their better players is attractive. In the case of Sheed, he was dealt to Atlanta for two good players. Atlanta then dealt him to a significantly better team (Detroit). Memphis was at the same level as the Blazers when we traded Bonzi, but they were clearly already climbing, and we were sliding (I won't say falling, because the descent wasn't steep.

As an aside, I wonder if Nash has been hesitent about pulling thetrigger on subsequent trades because of the problems with the Bonzi-Person trade (i.e., he made the trade for PR purposes to get a malcontent out of town, got little in return, and the fans/press slaughtered the deal... so now he doesn't pull a trade unless it's a "good trade")
I think the point Ed is getting at here is that in the Portland glory days, we were the ones snagging bargains left and right off of hapless teams like Atlanta and Washington.

now we ARE one of the hapless teams. atlanta added some pieces for their future by taking Sheed off of us. (Detroit came out of that pretty well too.) Golden State wound up with Baron Davis by unloading a miserable NVE on us. the coaching staff in Miami is now gushing about Qyntel, after we gave him up for nothing.(although, to be fair, anyone citing the dump of Qyntel for nothing should also give credit for the Przybilla signing.) the Bonzi/Person deal you mentioned was another one we came up short on.

picking up the Monia draft pick for $3 mil was a nice deal, but otherwise we haven't exactly been astounding the league with our cagey trades lately.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Hap said:
for someone who always seems to have these kinds of questions, you sure don't ever call in and ask eddie...
Well, I don't have a chance to listen to the radio or wherever it's broadcast since I'm working and am not in Portland.

Also, I'm not sure all of these questions are ones that I would feel comfortable asking... some of them are tinted in an after-the-fact way that's not fair to management (because every team and everyone makes mistakes, and something that turns out bad could be the right decision at the time).

But it's possible that these were the kinds of questions that the writer was talking about. That was my sole intent here.

Ed O.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts