Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd really like to see the NBA have NBDL teams playing for a specific NBA team. Anyone feel the same way?

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
With all the high school players coming out and ending up not being ready to contribute right away,it'd be good. A lot more helpful to play either others on that level/vets who are in the later stages of their career then sitting at the end of the bench.

·
Registered
719 Posts
ToddMacCulloch11 said:
With all the high school players coming out and ending up not being ready to contribute right away,it'd be good. A lot more helpful to play either others on that level/vets who are in the later stages of their career then sitting at the end of the bench.

why do people alway use high school kid as the example and not the international players?

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
If there was a minor league then blowouts would be pointless to watch. Thats the only complaint I would have.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
dk1115 said:
I'd really like to see the NBA have NBDL teams playing for a specific NBA team. Anyone feel the same way?
Yeah, but because NBA teams only have 12-15 players, having an entire minor league roster for 1 or 2 potential roster spots is excessive. I think it would be cool, but it's a little overkill.

·
Jedi/Sith Hybrid
1,455 Posts
I guess one solution is just to give the NBDL a lot more clout and to make teams affiliated with NBA teams...maybe a state to state thing where New York teams are affiliated and so on and so forth. I think it would be great. Euro's, projects and high schoolers that aren't ready can easilly pick up the right skills in a competitive environment. It's something that can be done if the right people get together and come up with the right plan. I hope it happens because it's great for everyone. Teams don't have to wait for people like Dorrel Wright and Darko to finally blossom after like 6 years...they can reach their potential and really learn the game a lot faster with a system like that.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I thought I read that the idea was to have one NBDL team shared by two NBA teams. So not every player on the team would be associated with a single NBA team. But if each NBA team could have like 6-7 roster spots where they could put a young or potential guy to get some playing time and experience, that would be about right.

I think you would then have to expand the NBA draft to maybe 3-4 rounds because then teams could continue to draft guys that they are fairly sure won't make thier NBA roster but they could try and develop that player on thier NBDL team.

I think there are enough 2nd rounder and undrafted players right now that could be worth keeping the rights to while they develop on the NBDL team.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just thought about this more... what if the individual NBA teams sign these guys to NBDL contracts. That way, they can still maintain the same number of teams but they can only bring up the players they signed NBDL contracts to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts