Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought ot was interesting that E-Rob seemed to be the opposite of all his labels tonight- he didn't shoot alot, but he was hustling and playing great D, and got his hand on a lot of balls. Maybe Cartwright got him to understand that if he's gonna have a niche on this team it's gonna be through defense and hustle........

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
That was some gr8 piece of D from the bulls(and e-rob) in the 2nd half. If only they could be a little more consistent.

Some of the things i noticed from the game:

We need Jay or Rose to be on the floor ALL THE TIME! Our offense just plain sucks when both are on the bench.

Jay-Will is our PG, period.

Curry is the next big thing at the 5. All one needs to do is look at him play. After shaq, no center in the league scores as easily as he does. He's big, quick/agile, and already has developed some solid post moves.

As someone pointed out below, Marshall is a bigger plus then we thought. The guy can do it all. We need him to be competitive this year.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Louie</b>!
I thought ot was interesting that E-Rob seemed to be the opposite of all his labels tonight- he didn't shoot alot, but he was hustling and playing great D, and got his hand on a lot of balls. Maybe Cartwright got him to understand that if he's gonna have a niche on this team it's gonna be through defense and hustle........
If ERob could start for us and put up decent numbers along with good defense, we would definitely be in the Playoffs. We need another good scorer behind Rose. Williams can be that person but he is just a rookie. We can't put too much on his shoulders. So ERob could be that person.

·
Registered
220 Posts
One of the benefits of seeing the game in person is that you don't have to follow the ball all the time.

That being said, I saw a Bulls squad play team defense in the 4th quarter better than any quintet we've put on the floor since the glory days. Leading our defensive charge were none other than Jamal Crawford and Eddie Robinson. Crawford used every bit of his height and quicks to take the Wolves guards out of their game. Robinson played like a rover in football. He cut off passing lanes, shut down baseline drives and altered the Wolves' shots around the basket. Oddly enough, neither of these guys provided much scoring. But make no mistake, we couldn't have won the game without their efforts.

IF these two players can accept whatever roles Cartwright assigns them, and they can provide the kind of effort we saw tonight on a consistent basis, I think we'll find that the Bulls have quickly become one of the deeper teams in the league.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
How special was ERob's defense tonight ?

Everyone seems to be raving about it

Without having the benefit of seeing the game can anyone detail exactly what he did and how he was going about what he did

Was he hawking ? Playing the passing lanes ? fronting his man and denying entry passes ? taking charges ? weakside swats? just getting good position and disrupting shots ?

Some descriptive analysis would be mucho appreciato

If this is the new Fast Eddie and how he distinguishes himself/establishes his value proposition a starting line up of :

Curry
Marshall
Robinson
Rose
Williams

could work very well

·
Registered
579 Posts
ERob played all that. passing lanes, altered shots etc.
I think if he keeps up this effort ala Rotweiller-style, he should start. If BC will keep his word that the guys who plays the best D starts then I think he will be a big factor. JC also did well. and Fizer actually passed the rock under the basket instead of forcing bad off the mark shots. This is also what BC should be drilling Fizer on. None of these guys have to shoot...we have enough offense. JC, Fizer ERob should concentrate on D.

Now the question is who is the starting PG??? Do we want the penetration and quick passin of JWill...YES...Do we want the D of JC...Yes
I still think once the roles have been establish, as long as they are winning, there shouldn't be any complaining.:rbanana:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
jamal made the opposing point guards force bad shots, he is always a threat to block their shots

fizer pulled down 7 boards in only 15 minutes, thats tyson chandlerish if you ask me, he only scored 4 points, but the 7 boards in only 15 minutes is more then enough

marshall was solid, western conference 6'9 is different from eastern conference 6'9, marshall will probably end his career as a center like uncle cliffy

rose was a stud who made some eyeopening passes on the open court

erob was a defensive stud who hit the passing lanes and played with some lonny baxter hustle

stats aside, hassel is our franchise future shooting guard plain and simple, he has shown me time and time again that he has the talent to start in the NBA, he is a stud, the guy can do it ALL, NO weaknesses at all!!!.. well, other then being an averaged sized shooting guard at 6'5(note the sarcasm), i cant think of anything that would prevent him from succeeding as a starting sg for the bulls some day

jay will has won me over, 7 dimes and 7 points is exactly what BC wanted, i was waiting for jay to dish that many assists, but jamal will still be a big part of the team

eddy curry is the next superstar center, he WILL MAKE THE ALL STAR TEAM THIS YEAR, yes, yes, i said it, 17 points in only 19 minutes

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Originally posted by <b>SPMJ</b>!

Curry is the next big thing at the 5. All one needs to do is look at him play. After shaq, no center in the league scores as easily as he does. He's big, quick/agile, and already has developed some solid post moves.
What?
I saw the game against the clips (and 2 other preseasons), and he looked like he was a couple years away from being considered even in the top 10 centers offensively (and he was playing against backups and "scrubs". I really like Curry and he does have a good knowledge of the game (better than Tyson's), but to say he scores easier than everyone except Shaq is crazy talk....

There's a list of centers from Illgaskus to Olowakandi who have much better offensive games.

Oh yeah Eddie Robinson is a great player .... I think the Bulls should do everything within reason to make him a key part of there team....

I definately agree with a few years of development he has the ability to be a top center in the league, but he as ALOT to learn. But hey he's got all the time in the world.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Originally posted by <b>THE'clip'SHOW</b>!

There's a list of centers from Illgaskus to Olowakandi who have much better offensive games.
:uhoh: Kandi is such a force that he averaged 11ppg on 43% shooting last year. Yeah, it will take years for Curry to match that....

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Originally posted by <b>johnston797</b>!

:uhoh: Kandi is such a force that he averaged 11ppg on 43% shooting last year. Yeah, it will take years for Curry to match that....
Yeah Kandi sucks soo bad...thats why he's gonna get numerous max contract offers.....:eek:

But I don't want to talk about the clips johnston797, what do you think of a starting lineup of JC, Jalen, Eddie, Marshall, and the other Eddie... is that gonna be the lineup? I think that is by far there best lineup.... I do think Jay could take the starting PG spot though.

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
I think it is too early to judge how good/great Curry will be. For sure, he's our #1 center, and he's proving he should be.

What will convince the world that Curry is one of the top few centers in the NBA will be a few more years of steady or spectacular year-over-year improvement. Or if he scores 40pts/game and grabs 20reb/game this year, of course :)

P.S.

My predicted starting lineup still stands:

Marshall PF
ERob SF
Curry C
Rose PG
Hassell SG

·
Registered
481 Posts
I was very encouraged by Eddie Curry's aggressiveness tonight. Sure, he showed once again that he has very good moves and is a great finisher but one thing I hadn't noticed before was his aggressiveness. I loved when he had a tech for using his body a la Shaq when he turned around (although truth is it wasn't a good call by the ref) and unlike with Chandler, I view it as a positive sign when Eddie screams after a bucket. If he can keep that level of energy up, Curry is going to be a beast!

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Yeah, Eddie's shot wasn't falling at all last night (which isn't surprising since he is just coming off of an injury and only had one practice). Still, Robinson was a monster defensively, he really reminded me a little of Pip on defense, being all over the floor, getting his hands on balls, and making good things happen. This guy will really be impressive when his shot starts falling which I know it will (he's nearly a 50%career shooter and contrary to popular belief, most of those aren't dunks...yeah, I know his jumper is ugly).

Lets just hope he didn't injure his ankle last night. I was a little disturbed by Jalen's comments that they need to "keep Eddie healthy and keep him WANTING to be on the floor." That makes it sound like Eddie's "injuries" are as much a mental thing as anything else. I don't see why anyone would have to make Eddy WANT to be on the floor. You would think he would automatically want that.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ace20004u</b>!
Yeah, Eddie's shot wasn't falling at all last night (which isn't surprising since he is just coming off of an injury and only had one practice). Still, Robinson was a monster defensively, he really reminded me a little of Pip on defense, being all over the floor, getting his hands on balls, and making good things happen. This guy will really be impressive when his shot starts falling which I know it will (he's nearly a 50%career shooter and contrary to popular belief, most of those aren't dunks...yeah, I know his jumper is ugly).

Lets just hope he didn't injure his ankle last night. I was a little disturbed by Jalen's comments that they need to "keep Eddie healthy and keep him WANTING to be on the floor." That makes it sound like Eddie's "injuries" are as much a mental thing as anything else. I don't see why anyone would have to make Eddy WANT to be on the floor. You would think he would automatically want that.
Sup Ace.

Any comparison to Pippen, even in the smallest way, is a bit far fetched. For that matter, any comparison of E-Rob to Pip, D.Miles, T-Mac or whomever optimistic fans compare Eddie to are a bit premature. Eddie has proven himself to be a high-energy guy off the bench, and has yet to sustain a productive clip as an NBA starting guard or forward. Until I see this production in the regular season (remember E-Rob had a good preseason last year as well), I'm not sold on the guy.

Hopefully Eddie stays healthy, so as fans we can see what this guy is made of. Wait and see, my friends, wait and see. I remain cautiously optimistic w/ E-Rob.

VD

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Vin Diesel</b>!

Sup Ace.

Any comparison to Pippen, even in the smallest way, is a bit far fetched. For that matter, any comparison of E-Rob to Pip, D.Miles, T-Mac or whomever optimistic fans compare Eddie to are a bit premature. Eddie has proven himself to be a high-energy guy off the bench, and has yet to sustain a productive clip as an NBA starting guard or forward. Until I see this production in the regular season (remember E-Rob had a good preseason last year as well), I'm not sold on the guy.

Hopefully Eddie stays healthy, so as fans we can see what this guy is made of. Wait and see, my friends, wait and see. I remain cautiously optimistic w/ E-Rob.

VD
Not much man! I disagree. I think that defensively the comparison to Pip is very valid (hence the reason I made it). Of course, this is for 20 minutes that he played in one game and not a comparison I would make all teh time. I was simply saying that E-Rob looked like Pip on defense last night and well, I think he did.

Obviously E-rob has a lot to prove and I stated my concern in my post as well. Still, E-rob performed at a very high level for the Hornets (of course he couldn't get the start over Jamal Mashburn). IMO, he has shown that he has some ability. He has yet to show that he can come out and consistently bring the avility on a nightly basis. If he does show that then I will be happy.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I'd have to disagree with comparisions of Robinson's defense to Pippin's. There are many ways to play defense just as there are many ways to score.

I agree that ERob stepped it up last night. He successfully employed his length and quicks to disrupt the Wolves offensive schemes.

In his heyday, Pippin used his long arms and athleticism to his advantage. However, what went unnoticed quite often was the ungodly physical strength he possessed which allowed him to direct his opponent to spots on the court where they'd be inneffective offensively. For example, remember the Bulls championship series with the Lakers? Jackson started Jordan out on Magic Johnson defensively. But Magic was simply too big and too strong for Jordan to handle and this mismatch was puting Jordan into early foul trouble.

Enter Scottie Pippin who made Magic's life miserable. Johnson could no longer back his defender down into the post. Pippin's strength turned Magic into a perimeter player exclusively. And that, as much as anything else, had alot to do with the way the Bulls dominated the Lakers in LA.

No matter how much weight lifting Eddie does, he'll never match Pippin's physical strength. That doesn't mean he can't become an extremely effective defender. He'll just have to get the job done differently than Pippin would have.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DickieHurtz</b>!
I'd have to disagree with comparisions of Robinson's defense to Pippin's. There are many ways to play defense just as there are many ways to score.

I agree that ERob stepped it up last night. He successfully employed his length and quicks to disrupt the Wolves offensive schemes.

In his heyday, Pippin used his long arms and athleticism to his advantage. However, what went unnoticed quite often was the ungodly physical strength he possessed which allowed him to direct his opponent to spots on the court where they'd be inneffective offensively. For example, remember the Bulls championship series with the Lakers? Jackson started Jordan out on Magic Johnson defensively. But Magic was simply too big and too strong for Jordan to handle and this mismatch was puting Jordan into early foul trouble.

Enter Scottie Pippin who made Magic's life miserable. Johnson could no longer back his defender down into the post. Pippin's strength turned Magic into a perimeter player exclusively. And that, as much as anything else, had alot to do with the way the Bulls dominated the Lakers in LA.

No matter how much weight lifting Eddie does, he'll never match Pippin's physical strength. That doesn't mean he can't become an extremely effective defender. He'll just have to get the job done differently than Pippin would have.
IMO, Pippens greatest defensive assett was his long arms and tenacious demeanor. Pip played the passing lanes very well and was very good at getting his hands on the ball. In that regard E-Rob was very similar last night. Sure, E-Rob can't use his strength to body up and shift guys around like Pip could, of course, I said "E-Rob reminded me a little bit of Pip". I didn't say "E-Rob was a mirror image of Pip".

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Pippen amazed on D against Magic and some of the best players in the history of the NBA. He is considered by many to be the best on-the-ball defender of this generation.

Robinson had one good preseason game guarding Maurice Evans, Reggie Slater, and Kendall Gill.

VD

1 - 20 of 28 Posts