Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Rebuild fast, slow, or in the middle?

• Make trades for vets. (Immediate gratification is good.)

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Keep our young guys and watch an exciting team develop.

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Find a middle ground. (Copout answer)

Votes: 10 34.5%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that we've seen the young guys play for a couple of weeks, it's becoming clear that the Blazers are faced with a choice:

1. They can use some of the young guys and/or the draft pick to package with other assets to trade for experienced veterans in an attempt to get back to a contending position quickly; or

2. They can choose to let the ending contracts simply expire, keep what promises to be a very good draft pick, and let the young guys develop into a contender after a few years, and probably a few more lottery picks.

If they choose the latter route, I'd expect the Blazers to try to buy out Patterson's and Anderson's contracts and next year's roster would look something like:

PG: Telfair, Free Agent signing using MLE
SG: Outlaw, Monia, Frahm
SF: Miles, Khryapa
PF: Zach, #5 draft pick
C: Joel, Theo, Ha

While I doubt that lineup would win more than 30 games next year, in a couple of years as players get experience and maybe a couple more lottery picks are added, it could be a pretty exciting team.

So which route would you rather see the Blazers go?

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
PatterNash can't make this decision until they figure out which course they're on with a Power Forward. If its Zbo - rebuild slow fill in the pieces. If its not - everything is up in the air. I'm not sure Zbo is the answer long term. He is not a dominant player like Amare is or Karl Malone was. He's alot like Shareef.....manages to get his points and rebounds....yet doesn't make a difference in the outcome of the game.

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
actually, I think if you add a decent coach, a solid shooter, and some nice veterans to come off the bench, this squad could make some serious noise. They might not make the playoffs next year, but they could give a few headaches out.

If I were Nash I would:

Hire Eric Musselman as coach.

Let Damon, Nick and Reef walk. Bye Bye

Attempt to sign Bobby Jackson. I think he would be an interesting backup for Bassy. A nice scoring punch off the bench, and some veteran leadership.

I would sign Wesley Person just to come in and help out the young guys, maybe hit a shot or two, and bring some veteran qualities as well.

I would also look at drafting a big man later in the first or early in the second who might be able to log some minutes as a backup four.

So this is the team as I see it:

pg - Sebastian Telfair/Bobby Jackson
sg - Travis Outlaw/Wesley Person/Sergei Monia
sf - Darius Miles/Viktor Khyrapa
pf - Zach Randolph/Theo Ratliff
c - Joel Przybilla/Theo Ratliff/Ha

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I would probably package Van Excel and a big contract like Theo or Darius Miles for something good or just expiring contracts and a few draft picks, someone like Minnesota might be interested. See if we can get under the cap. Isaiah Thomas would take Darius Miles, he's a fan of him. We They have Penny Hardaway as an expiring contract. They could throw in players like Ariza and or Sweetney to backup Randolph. Trade sign and trade Shareef for a nice young center like Dalembart or an SG. I'd like to see us get under the cap so we can resign Pryz to a fair amount. I'd also like to acquire someone like Eric Snow, a good defensive player, good locker room guy, and someone that can mentor Telfair.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I voted "middle ground" - and no, it is NOT a copout answer.

Here's my reasoning: the Blazers don't really have the pieces to make a trade or two and realistically have a title shot. This is not like the '99-'00 team that was stacked with talent and was able to package young players together to get Scottie Pippen and Steve Smith. So trying to reload, while it'd be nice to win more games, won't really get the Blazers any closer to the ultimate goal of winning a championship. Instead, it will prolong mediocrity and jeopardize the development of potential future stars.

On the other hand, it's a bad idea to just let everyone walk and try to build a team with disgruntled vets left behind (best of luck to Nash in packaging Ruben Patterson and Derek Anderson), inexperienced guys (Telfair, Outlaw, Khryapa) who need to learn how to win in the NBA, and a handful of promising players who are nearing their primes (Miles, Randolph, Przybilla) but aren't leaders. I don't want to see Portland become another Chicago, where it takes seven years to get back to respectability.

Basically, the Blazers need to go young, primarily, but they also need to hold onto, or acquire a veteran or two who can show these guys how to win close games, how to execute late in the game, tips on smart defense, etc. Theo Ratliff may fit this category, in terms of players to keep around as "leaders"... it'll also be key to find the right coach - someone who can teach and can make the right adjustments in games. Can we clone Larry Brown?

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NateBishop3 said:
actually, I think if you add a decent coach, a solid shooter, and some nice veterans to come off the bench, this squad could make some serious noise. They might not make the playoffs next year, but they could give a few headaches out.

If I were Nash I would:

Hire Eric Musselman as coach.

Let Damon, Nick and Reef walk. Bye Bye

Attempt to sign Bobby Jackson. I think he would be an interesting backup for Bassy. A nice scoring punch off the bench, and some veteran leadership.

I would sign Wesley Person just to come in and help out the young guys, maybe hit a shot or two, and bring some veteran qualities as well.

I would also look at drafting a big man later in the first or early in the second who might be able to log some minutes as a backup four.

So this is the team as I see it:

pg - Sebastian Telfair/Bobby Jackson
sg - Travis Outlaw/Wesley Person/Sergei Monia
sf - Darius Miles/Viktor Khyrapa
pf - Zach Randolph/Theo Ratliff
c - Joel Przybilla/Theo Ratliff/Ha
Nate, I like your plan, but please include the use of the #5 pick to draft a PF (probably Taft or Splitter). With Zach's knee surgery, I'd like the insurance of another young stud coming along the pipeline just in case. Jackson would be a terrific pickup at the backup PG spot.

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
If the Blazers can make a "quick" move that gives them a serious shot at a championship in the short term, I would want them to go for it.

My concern about letting the young guys develop is that I'm not so sure that they will necessarily ever get to the point that they are good enough to contend for the title. Aside from the '77 Blazers, it's very rare that a young team has the ultimate success.

Personally, I'm not worried about how long it will take, I'm patent. Hell, I've waited this long for the Blazers to win a title. What's another 19 years? I just want it to happen.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
My extreme makeover

e_blazer1 said:
PG: Telfair, Free Agent signing using MLE
SG: Outlaw, Monia, Frahm
SF: Miles, Khryapa
PF: Zach, #5 draft pick
C: Joel, Theo, Ha
While I like your analysis, and agree with it. I think I would go about the extreme makeover a bit different

I think we might be able to put more faith in Viktor and Travis and still get a better product on the floor.

1) Buyout DA and let him go to a team of his choice :D
2) Trade Zach and Frahm for a high 2005 draft pick. Maybe #1 (Delayed trade until after July to team under the cap). Then draft a center to eventually replace Ratliff
3) Trade Ruben to a team with cap room for a late 1st rd pick. Draft Aaron Miles for a backup PG for Telfair
4) Trade NVE (non guarenteed 2005 salary) + Darius non BYC for an established FA vet in a S&T. Other team can waive NVE for salary relief, yet retains Darius
5) S&T Damon for a veteran role playing combo PG/SG
6) Resign Rahim
7) Get a very good experienced coach for the team. One which demands respect

We also need to draft with an emphasis on height and defensive abilities

PG: Telfair, See #3
SG: See #4, Monia, See #6
SF: Khryapa, Outlaw
PF: Rahim, Our 2005 draft pick
C: Joel, See #2 , Theo, Ha

Zach + Frahm = Good center prospect
Our pick = Backup PF, maybe a future starter
Ruben gets us a backup PG