Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
2003 Western semi finals, Canucks vs. Minnesota game 7. Bertuzzi scores on a breakaway to give the Canucks a 2-0 lead in the second period. I thought we had won it, and I was so pumped. I've never been more excited that I was whe he scored that goal.(we ended up losing 4-2 by the way :curse: )

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
hockey in general would be 2002 in Salt Lake City and having both mens and womens taking gold...

NHL, Gilmour's wrap-around in '93 for the Leafs...Gilmour in the '93 playoff run, after catching a few of the games on digital TV was just awesome to watch, and Im not even a big Leaf fan...

·
Burned
18,772 Posts
From memory...

The Legendary Mike Miller said:
And the OLDEST trophy competed for in NORTH AMERICA, LORD STANLEY'S CUP, has made it's way through the LINCOLN TUNNEL, to the MEADOWLANDS, to the GARDEN STATE! The NEW JERSEY DEVILS are the 1995 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!!!!
I have that in my Zen Micro. I can't listen to it in public because it still chokes me up - even after hearing it 2,000 times.

·
Tru Warier
13,699 Posts
'94 Vancouver riot after we lose Game 7 to the Rangers :biggrin:

Reactions: ChristopherJ

·
Burned
18,772 Posts
Yao Mania said:
'94 Vancouver riot after we lose Game 7 to the Rangers :biggrin:
:curse: Canucks.

:curse::curse::curse:

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Well, you'll have to excuse me if I pick a mix of levels for hockey moments.

I'm originally from Prince George, British Columbia, and when the Cougars moved there from Victoria, I could not get enough of them. My favorite memories have to be of watching a young, up-and-coming Eric Brewer. I always thought he was good then, but it never ocurred to me that he'd be THAT good. Dan Hamhius also came through Prince George, but I never saw him play. My personal favorite was Joel Kwiatkowski, who was traded for Sheldon Souray (whom I also watched play as a Cougar) who has at long last cracked into the show, and I feel happy for him. I was fortunate enough to see guys like Jarome Iginla play junior for the Blazers, Robyn Regehr, Blair Betts, Nolan Baumgartner, Scott Hannan, Patrick Marleau...the list goes on and on. Ronald Petrovicky, a former Calgary Flame, was a star in the W for the Cougars and Zdeno Chara as well. One of my favorite memories is of my father taking me to a Cougars game and telling me that Chara would never make it in the NHL because he couldn't skate (and, to be fair, he really wasn't much of a skater back then). I still rib him about it to this day. Another fond memory is of the great playoff run that engulfed the entire city one year, as underdogs we managed to make it pretty far if I recall correctly. I have very strong memories of guys that never really made it in the NHL - Chris Mason, Quinn Hancock, Peter Roed...

Anyways, when I was ten I moved to Calgary and dealt with a poor franchise until last year, which paid me back in full for my years of coping with poor teams. I also have good memories of the Hitmen's rise to relevance and cheering for guys like Brad Moran, Pavel Brendl, and Ryan Getzlaf. But my all-time favorite hockey moment can't be categorized into just one...it's a summation of the '03-'04 NHL playoffs and the electricity that it brought the city, and the intensity. I'd have to say watching Saprykin scoring his OT game winning goal at the Saddledome on the big screen TV's with my friends is right up there...the place was absolutely wild.

Now, of course, I make my residence in the relative backwoods of North Dakota, far removed from all of that.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
The same moment as ghoti recalled. When the New Jersey Devils won Lord Stanley's Cup and they became Stanley Cup Champions. That brought joy to the state of New Jersey! When the Devils and the Nets were both in the finals that was the best moment I think in my life. :biggrin:

·
Tru Warier
13,699 Posts
KidCanada said:
Were you there on Robson street when it happened?
No, I was like 14 back then! My brother's friend was thinking of driving his car there so it'd get smashed and he can claim insurance haha

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
The last time the Wings won the cup.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
team canada beating soviet union in 1972. classic

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
^^ A great moment, just too long ago to be a memory for me!

My favourite was the 1991 Canada Cup, it was the year Lindros was holding out from Quebec, but he played with Gretzky and everyone on the Canada team.

Sept 12 to be exact - it was the semi final vs Sweden and my Dad got us tickets - Golds at the glorious Maple Leaf Gardens. Canada won 4-0 and went on the beat the US in the final.

Second favourite hockey moment - Salt Lake City Olympics 2002.
My girlfriend (now fiance) was big into figure skating then and I had missed her two previous competitions. The final competition was in London at the University of Western Ontario at the EXACT same time as the gold medal game. The arena complex @ UW is fantastic though, and they had a sports bar overlooking the curling rink that was jam packed with father and boyfriends watching the game. I didn't miss a minute of it, and her skates were actually during both intermissions. All the guys kept coming in announcing who was skating when so we could watch the whole game. She even managed to skip the rest of the competition to catch teh whole third period. Afterwords we got into the crazy celebration in downtown London

·
Star in the Making
4,780 Posts
Favourite Hockey Moment has got to be Gretzky's last game in Canada... I was at the game in Ottawa... defilnetly great... especially the standing ovation at the end... remarkable..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts