Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious to see who everyone's favorite writer is.

My favorite right now has to be John Hollinger, sad that it took me this long to start reading his stuff.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Scoop Jackson!

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Well, he's not exclusively an NBA writer, but I would say Bill Simmons.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Don't really have a favorite. But Sam Smith from Chicago and some idiot from Kansas City (can't remember his name) are two of the worst writers ever. They're both complete idiots.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
My favorite writer is Dan Rosenbaum. He wrote a few articles for RealGM that I think helped a lot of basketball fans understand how the salary cap and the luxury tax affect teams' decision, they were great articles. Also I love reading his posts on the Bulls board, especially when he goes off on the age limit.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
PhillyPhanatic said:
Just curious to see who everyone's favorite writer is.

My favorite right now has to be John Hollinger, sad that it took me this long to start reading his stuff.

I agree. His stuff is pretty solid. Is he new at ESPN? I hadn't really remembered seeing him until lately where they've got a new article of his up pretty much every week.

And how could I dislike someone who says Dwight Howard should be the ROY.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
My favourite writer, though he's not an exclusive NBA writer, is Eric Neel. I like the fact that he's not one of the obnoxious, know-it-all writers who assume the GMs, coaches and fans are all dumber than they are. Neel generally writes to illustrate the beauty or excitement that he sees in something like a Barry Zito curveball or a Sacramento Kings' back-cut. He's clearly knowledgeable about the game, and he doesn't spend his time being negative but rather explaining why a sport, or element of the sport, is so much fun.

And he's a very good writer, too, stylistically. That helps.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
I rarely read NBA articles, because there just aren't many great writers writing for the sport of basketball, but if you put a gun to my head, I'd say Hollinger as well. They don't write often enough for me, is what the real problem is.

Reactions: underhill_101

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I'd have to say Scoop Jackson as well

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
I used to like reading David Aldridge's articles on ESPN but they fired him. I still think hes the best basketball insider though and I like seeing him every once and awhile on TNT

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I'm gonna back Minstrel and go with Eric Neel. The guy does a great job at illustrating both the beauty and tragedy within sports. He talks about the cool and interesting and glorious rather than harping on weaknesses or showing off his own knowledge. He's just fun to read.

Other guys I like are Bill Simmons, and of course the late, great Ralph Wiley.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
paul shirley

1 - 15 of 15 Posts