Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 16.0%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we're all pretty much resigned to the fact that the Lakers probably won't make the playoffs. Our two largest needs are a consistent inside force and a somewhat competent point guard. Getting a consistent inside guy in the draft is very difficult. However, two of the best point guards should be around by the time our pick comes up.

So who do you take? Raymond Felton of the North Carolina Tarheels or Jarrett Jack of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets? Someone else?

I'll post my thoughts a little bit later.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Someone else: Chris Paul or Salim Stoudamire

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I voted for Jack but I wouldn't mind getting Salim or Paul.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think Paul will be there around our pick, and trading makes more sense for Salim, he'll still be there in the late part of the first round.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I don't really have much of a preference between either of these two guys. I'd take either one and be happy. But if I had to make the choice I guess I'd take Jack.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Jack, he wins with crappy players. Plays crazy physical defense and just looks mean and intense out there. Felton is great but isn't as clutch and sometimes is wild as hell dribbling the ball. Plus, Kobe would love that guy, haha.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
I love Jack more than any guard in the draft outside of Paul. Paul won't go beyond pick #3.

Salim is nothing more than an Atkins clone. Would be a total waste of a pick.

I hope we don't take a forward with the lottery pick.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Felton, Felton, Felton.

You don't know how someone's offensive game will translate in the NBA completely. You do know about defensive tenacity and speed however, and Felton has both. He mans the guy he guards very well and always sticks on him. Good one on one defender, and he also plays good d on his man to prevent passes into the guy he is guarding.

Our defense is what need works and Felton will be huge improvement because he can slow down the quick point guards in the NBA. Something the Lakers have needed for years. Offensively, even if he isn't a good shooter he can penetrate and break down a defense for a layup for a entry pass.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
I wouldn't mind Jack if we can't get felton, however we do not need any pg who can't play D, we already have two of those: Atkins and Sasha.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Best thing about Jack is that he's a 6 foot 3 200 pound point guard that is pretty quick...he's huge...ala Chauncey Billups, and we all know how thats working out.

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
Give me Felton. He is a guy who will actually control tempo, bring intensity on both ends, and make crisp clean passes while creating for guys. Athletic too, the kid is going to be a player. I think he is going to be a stronger version of the player TJ Ford was (sad saying was). Felton is lightning quick up and down the floor, and knows exactly what he is doing with the rock. Not much of a shot, but Atkins could provide shooting at backup point.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Felton, for reasons already mentioned. That said, I wouldn't exactly be disappointed if the Lakers picked Jack. Quite frankly, I'd be just about as pleased. Good problem to have if the Lakers are struggling between Felton and Jack.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
-D! said:
It would help if we had a list of the lottery teams that need PGs..
Eastern Conference

Orlando Magic - Jameer Nelson and Steve Francis

New Jersey Nets - Travis Best, Jason Kidd, and Jacque Vaughn

New York Knicks - Stephon Marbury and Jamal Crawford

Toronto Raptors - I have no idea what they need...

Milwaukee Bucks - TJ Ford, Erick Strickland, and Mo Williams

Charlotte Bobcats - Cory Alexander, Jason Hart, and Brevin Knight

Atlanta Hawks - Tony Delk, Royal Ivey, and Tyronn Lue

Western Conference

Minnestota Timberwolves - Anthony Carter, Sam Cassell, and Troy Hudson

LA Clippers - Rick Brunson, Lionel Chalmers, Marko Jaric, and Shaun Livingston

Golden State - Baron Davis and Derek Fisher

Portland Trailblazers - Damon Stoudamire, Sebastian Telfair, and Nick Van Exel

Utah Jazz - Howard Eisley, Randy Livingston, Raul Lopez, and Keith McLeod

New Orleans Hornets - Speedy Claxton and Dan Dickau

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
ClayVTrainum said:
Eastern Conference

Orlando Magic - Jameer Nelson and Steve Francis

New Jersey Nets - Travis Best, Jason Kidd, and Jacque Vaughn

New York Knicks - Stephon Marbury and Jamal Crawford

Toronto Raptors - I have no idea what they need...

Milwaukee Bucks - TJ Ford, Erick Strickland, and Mo Williams

Charlotte Bobcats - Cory Alexander, Jason Hart, and Brevin Knight

Atlanta Hawks - Tony Delk, Royal Ivey, and Tyronn Lue

Western Conference

Minnestota Timberwolves - Anthony Carter, Sam Cassell, and Troy Hudson

LA Clippers - Rick Brunson, Lionel Chalmers, Marko Jaric, and Shaun Livingston

Golden State - Baron Davis and Derek Fisher

Portland Trailblazers - Damon Stoudamire, Sebastian Telfair, and Nick Van Exel

Utah Jazz - Howard Eisley, Randy Livingston, Raul Lopez, and Keith McLeod

New Orleans Hornets - Speedy Claxton and Dan Dickau
This may be biased coming from a Lakers fan, but I don't think there's a PG rotation in the league worse than Chucky Atkins and Tierre Brown -- and that goes for playoff and lottery teams alike. But even teams appearing to be steady at the 1 spot that pick ahead of us may have their reasons for wanting another PG. They may have plans to trade their current PG and go with the new drafted one, or the PG they currently have may be a free agent soon, etc, you never know.

Having said that though,

Orlando Magic - They just got Nelson and have began starting him. Can't see them drafting another point this year.

New Jersey Nets - Preparing for the possibility of losing Jason Kidd, they may be interested.

New York Knicks - You never know what these guys. If they have plans on trading Marbury then it's a possibility.

Toronto Raptors - Will certainly shop Skip around this off-season and may be interested in drafting his replacement.

Milwaukee Bucks - Since TJ may never play again, the Bucks may want to look at another PG.

Charlotte Bobcats - Brevin Knight has played well enought to warrant MLE offers from teams. He'll probably bolt from the Cats. Since the Cats will have either the 1st, 2nd or 3rd pick it'll either be Bogut, Williams or Paul for them.

Atlanta Hawks - A PG rotation almost as bad as ours. But this team will most likely end up with the first pick and they won't take a PG with it. If they don't though they'll probably take the best player available because their whole team sucks.

Western Conference

Minnestota Timberwolves - Tough call here. They've had a terrible season, and Sam Cassell could be attractive both as a player and as an ending contract. They're probably stuck with Troy Hudson though. I doubt they go after a point guard.

LA Clippers - Almost no chance they'll take another PG with Livingston waiting to become the starter next year. Although the Clippers have done stranger things...

Golden State - They need size, not another guard. They're already paying out big bucks to Baron and Fisher.

Portland Trailblazers - Took Telfair last year and will want to give him a chance before drafting another point.

Utah Jazz - Will probably have the top PGs on their radar unless there's on in free agency they plan to throw a bunch of money at. I'm sure they want Bogut, but they won't be the odds on favorites for the #1 pick and will likely miss out on him.

New Orleans Hornets - Need help at the one, but this is another team highly likely to get the first pick and will probably take Marvin Williams or Andrew Bogut.

So by my estimation, teams that will probably be considering point guards are:

Raptors
Bucks
Bobcats
Hawks
Jazz
Hornets

All of those teams should end up with worse records than the Lakers, and if the odds play out, will pick before them. 3 out of those 6 will probably take Bogut, Williams and Paul. At least another two will take Euro stiffs like Splitter, Andriukevici.... or whatever the hell his name is, which should leave the Lakers with realistic chances at Felton and Jack. *Hopefully* But if none of the teams that need PGs land in the first 2 or 3 slots we may be screwed.

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
spiraling said:
Take Jack if he is still avaible, if not take Daniel Ewing.
I disagree. I feel that taking Ewing with a lottery pick would be an absolute waste. He has Joe Forte written all over him. Personally, think that Felton, Paul, Williams, and Jack are the only starting quality PGs in this draft. I'd be shocked if anyone else emerges as a starter in the NBA.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts