Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a story that will be building for quite a while. No. 3, 4, 5 picks in the draft. All PG's.

Which team came out with the right decision when drafting a PG this past season. It appears they're all deserving of starting but Bickerstaff and Sloan are so damn stubborn they don't want their rookie floor generals to start, even if they are the best option. Although Williams finally started tonight.

However, look at these numbers from tonight:

Chris Paul, New Orleans: 21 points, 8 assists, 5 rebounds, 2 steals (in W) - Magic had no answers for him or David West last night.
Deron Williams, Utah: 21 points, 10 assists, 4 rebounds, 1 steal (L) - to his credit, most of the team is hurt.
Raymond Felton, Charlotte: 15 points, 5 assists, 1 rebound (L) - still splitting time with Brevin Knight. my question is why?

Now based on what you've seen of these young men so far in their college careers and first few pro games, where would you place them in the hierarchy of NBA floor generals... by the end of the season.

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
I said before the draft that Felton has the best potential of all of them, but at the time he had some deficiencies in his game that needed to corrected if he was to truly play the best he possibly can which was why I was hesitant with Charlotte picking him at 5. I have only seen 3 Bobcat games this season and Felton did not see major minutes in any of them. He makes good decisions with the ball most of the time... but I always feel uncomfortable sometimes because when he pushes the tempo, he can be out of control, yet he can be sort of inconsistent in a half court game. That is where I feel that Paul and Deron were better than him in college.

In the pro game, I can't really say much about Paul or Deron. Paul has been impressive. He scores, he passes, and he can even rebound despite his size, but thats only what I've seen in the box scores. I haven't seen any games from the Hornets or the Jazz to be honest, but on numbers alone, Paul is looking good. As for Felton... he looks like that hes fixed some aspects of his game. His shooting has gotten a lot better. Hes playing under control, and he turns the ball over less. Hes still the quickest and most athletic of the 3, and hes got great basktball smarts, but for some reason, I still think his game needs refinement. Brevin Knight is proven and a veteran, but hes not really that good. Felton has not exactly been Mr. consistency though (he is a rookie, and a PG no less), sometimes he is either briliant or looks completely lost. Knight is a nice player, he knows how to run an offense, he knows howt o get the ball to the right players, has quick hands but his size hinders his on the ball defense. He can't really score that well either. Hes effective, so I can kind of see why Bickerstaff starts him but Felton really needs to get more consistent minutes as the season progresses. Still, consistency is kind of a problem. I remember one game against Boston earlier this season, Felton hits a 3 but then hes missing layups on reckless drives and is jus getting lost running pick and rolls, then another game he'll run the offense, drive and score at will and dish all over place. But once Felton hits a stride, I could see him starting by All star break.

I'm a Charlotte homer though...

·
Registered
698 Posts
Ray Felton is the fastest
Deron is the strongest
Paul has it all.

Felton has not supplanted Knight because Knight is one of the best passers in the NBA. I expect he will at some point, once he finds consistancy, but that is one great PG duo. Felton has all-star potential.

Deron I think will be the worst of the three win its all said and done but he will still be very good. He had a good game tonight despite the loss.

Chris Paul has been sensational. Putting up stats like crazy isn't what makes him so good. Noone expected the Hornets to start this strong. He has been clutch in the end of games, tonight he got a steal, hit a three, and made his free throws in the final minute to seal the game. He hit 5 free throws in the final minute to put away the Atlanta Hawks. Against the rockets he hit two long floaters and 2 FT's in the last minute to come away with the victory.

The most amazing thing about the past 2 games/wins , during which he's averaged 23/10/6/3.5 and 2.5 turnovers, is the Hornet's have been missing PJ Brown, Speedy Claxton, and JR Smith.

When all is said and done I expect all three of these players to be the premier PG's in the league.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Felton and Deron will be above average point gaurds

But Chris Paul is just special.. I'll have to go with Chris for now, and the future

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
I liked Paul before the draft and I still like him, although it is close.

He's putting up 17/6ast/5reb/2stl a game (so far) while playing 36mpg. Surprising rebounding numbers from a 6'0, 175lb frame.

Deron is playing well, but I still can't believe the Jazz passed over Paul for him. I think he'll be a fine starting PG for many years, but think Paul's a notch ahead.

Felton has played well also with the minutes given to him; he should be starting. He is damn fast and is reminding me some of Tony Parker. I think he's a boderline A/S in the future, he just needs minutes.

I think when it's all said and done, the best careers will be 1.) Paul 2.) Felton 3.) Deron.

As far as this year, I think Paul will be sniffing the elite, after he likely takes ROY. Felton might have to wait until next year to get serious minutes, but when he does, he should make a name for himself. I think this year will establish Deron as a solid starter, but I don't know how much better he gets.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Slightly OT, but just wondering where ya'll think Telfair would fit in with this lot of terrific young PGs?

·
Banned
234 Posts
All of them have looked good in their respective situations and it's way to early to say who is the best. If I just had to rank them I would say Paul, thne Felton, then Williams.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Paul is the best right now..Maybe Deron will become the "NEXT JASON KIDD".....I'm not a fan of Felton but he will be an above average player...

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
Deron Williams looked very good vs. The Grizzlies. He can get anywhere he wants on the court with his size and he is quick enough to turn the corner and defend small PGs. His shot is also better than in college.

·
Banned
4,660 Posts
BBB said:
Slightly OT, but just wondering where ya'll think Telfair would fit in with this lot of terrific young PGs?
I'd take Telfair ahead of Felton and Williams, and probably Paul as well. All three of the rooks are excellent passers, but Sebastian is on another level. His vision and passing ability are reminiscent of a young Jason Kidd.

Paul's the better player now, but, in the end, I feel Telfair will be the one to develop into the league's premier point.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
1. Paul
2. Felton/Williams
3. Williams/Felton
4. Jack - don't sleep on Jarrett Jack-in limited minutes he is really doing a decent job. I think he will be trade bait in the offseason.

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
Felton is a Carolina guy, but I have to go with Deron Williams here. Chris Paul is really good, but I think his height will haunt him eventually in the league. Felton is going to be a good player, like a TJ Ford type with his blazing quickness and point guard abilities. The key with these two is, they're working with great abilities, but I don't think they'll apply them within the team the way that Deron will.

Deron Williams just looks great. He is in complete control out there. You can tell he knows the ins and outs of the game better than anyone, and his sharp decision making is going to put him at the head of a great offense one day. He controls the offense without dominating the ball. That is a rare quality.

·
Stinging the West!
2,551 Posts
The other night Paul dropped 25pts, 12 assists, 7 rebounds, and 5 steals....
He's going for rookie of the year, he's so quick and effective, open mans get surprised about how open they are

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
vigilante said:
Then theres that other rookie point guard, who is just as good as these guys. His name is Jose Calderon.
yup...i have to agree with vig....Calderon might be the best "pg" out of the bunch...Calderon has absolutely no problem with getting like 12 assists and 0 points ON ZERO FGA'S...i think of the bunch...he is the best pure pg...but Chris Paul has the all around package....but i might live to add that Jose can put up points as well..and he has shown it...the game agaisnt NJ he had 20 points

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
7M3 said:
I'd take Telfair ahead of Felton and Williams, and probably Paul as well. All three of the rooks are excellent passers, but Sebastian is on another level. His vision and passing ability are reminiscent of a young Jason Kidd.

Paul's the better player now, but, in the end, I feel Telfair will be the one to develop into the league's premier point.
Telfair is averaging 3.6 apg on 2.6 TOpg in 30 mpg. He has had a few great isolated games over his short time in this league where he showed what he can do, but those were against some pretty weak teams (early in the season last year against the Warriors, for example). Sorry, he's no where near a young Jason Kidd.

·
Registered
681 Posts
In a recent interview Jason Kidd called Steve Nash, Deron Williams and TJ Ford the best young point guards in the NBA (Although Nash isn't really too young anymore) so take that for what it's worth. I know this is the cop-out answer, but I honestly have no idea who I would take between Chris Paul and Deron Williams. They are both AMAZING point guards and I believe they are truly the future of the position. Last year's PG draft was fool's gold. Many thought they would be the future, but I think that Paul and Williams will be HOF's one day, while Harris and Telfair will be solid and Livingston will be pretty special himself. Felton is a grade below Paul/Williams and Jack and Calderon a grade below Felton. Felton is a terrific young PG, but he is more of a complimentary PG in the NBA, meaning he could play a Tony Parker or a Chauncey Billups type role, while Paul and Williams are like Kidd and Nash. They can lead a successful team while also being the best player on that team. I don't see Felton being special if he is asked to be "the man".

·
Registered
568 Posts
Chris Paul is just amazing, and IMO has the most potential in this draft class. I remember when he was going to be #1 pick overall, but people said he wouldn't do good because of his frame. 17/6/5 in you're rookie season if just amazing especially for a PG.

Paul is the best all around PG of them all, and Calderon is the best passing PG of them all.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts