Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Market is drying up fast. Not looking good for Jared Sullinger and Tyler Zeller. Considering that I'd like Boston to use their Bird Rights to sign one/both to large 1+1 deals with team options (the Amir Johnson special) for potential star trades, this is a good thing.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
8 mil a year? What?

Man, this makes the Mozgov deal look just that much more terrible. What a horribly run franchise.

·
Premium Member
100,010 Posts
I know he was awful in the Finals, but was he really worse than Mozgov who was planted on the bench?

Ezeli is young, unless there is knowledge out there that his knees are permanently messed up.
Popular opinion was that Harrison Barnes was the one losing millions of dollars in the Finals, turns out it was Ezeli. He didn't really have a place in that particular series because of the matchup, but overall I think he's clearly worth more than this.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
I agree with those assessments. Ezeli is a real steal at that price... just like Aminu and Ed Davis were last offseason. Blazers stay finding good value on the market.

·
Premium Member
100,010 Posts
I agree with those assessments. Ezeli is a real steal at that price... just like Aminu and Ed Davis were last offseason. Blazers stay finding good value on the market.
Yeah, except they paid $70M for Evan Turner. I don't see where he fits on this team at all.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
Yeah, except they paid $70M for Evan Turner. I don't see where he fits on this team at all.
Yeah.... that one was highly questionable. They must have been really unhappy with Moe Harkless.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
I believe they're going to lose Crabbe and Gerald Henderson. Harkless and Leonard are still RFAs.

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
Ezeli is not that great and makes a lot of mistakes defensively, but the Blazers look to be becoming Warriors-lite in style of play, so the fit is really good and should be seamless for Ezeli. Ezeli is an active and athletic big who provide size without sacrificing speed. For the price, nice deal.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
I'm still not 100% sure the Blazers are going to be as good this coming season as they were this past season. This team relied on Allen Crabbe fairly heavily to be their 3rd offensive option throughout the season. I'm not seeing Evan Turner filling that role.

And is Ezeli an upgrade on Ed Davis? How about Shabazz Napier over Brian Roberts?? Maybe a little???

I could see them taking a 3-to-5 win step back this season instead of climbing the standings like most people project them to. Not a fantastic offseason by them IMO despite the fact that each of their signings in a vacuum are pretty good. Well... with the possible exception of that Turner contract.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
I'm still not 100% sure the Blazers are going to be as good this coming season as they were this past season. This team relied on Allen Crabbe fairly heavily to be their 3rd offensive option throughout the season. I'm not seeing Evan Turner filling that role.

And is Ezeli an upgrade on Ed Davis? How about Shabazz Napier over Brian Roberts?? Maybe a little???

I could see them taking a 3-to-5 win step back this season instead of climbing the standings like most people project them to. Not a fantastic offseason by them IMO despite the fact that each of their signings in a vacuum are pretty good. Well... with the possible exception of that Turner contract.
They'll definitely miss Crabbe if they don't match his contract. It's a lot of money for a bench shooter who averaged 10 ppg last year and by all accounts wants a larger role.

I'm not sure I agree with signing Turner, but I can understand where they're coming from. They wanted Chandler Parsons as a playmaking forward to help the halfcourt offense, spread the floor, and take some of the pressure off McCollum/Lillard to always have the ball. They missed out on him, so they got the second best playmaking forward available in Evan Turner, who happens to be a horrendous shooter. Ideally they'd want more spacing or Turner on a much friendlier deal, but I can see where they think he'll fit. Lillard and McCollum are both scoring guards and Turner's immediately the best passer on the team. He should be able to play well if they stagger his minutes so that he's the backup PG with McCollum at the 2 when Dame is off the floor. I don't think Napier's going to play at all.

Turner's shooting shouldn't be too big of a deal if they start Aminu at the 4. They're reminiscent of a really poor man's Golden State. Aminu can spread the floor and somewhat play the Draymond Green role (with no playmaking ability). Turner is essentially their Iguodala (with no defense, so maybe Shaun Livingston) as a big playmaker. Then you have Plumlee as a good passing and role playing big (like Bogut), and your main guard scorers.

I'm not sure it's going to quite work out, but it's an interesting experiment. They have some good big man depth with Ezeli and Davis, and if Vonleh ever looks like an NBA player, even better. Not sure they'll bring back Leonard. Harkless had a good postseason, too, so he could be somewhere in the rotation.

I think they'll still be competitive for about the same position in the West. They won't be in the top 4 most likely, but should be on par or better than OKC and Utah.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
A year from now when he's an MIP candidate, remember who told you who Evan Turner was.

Evan Turner is a mother ****ing gangster.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts