Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although an announcement from the club won't come until Tuesday, the Miami Dolphins have chosen Jay Fiedler as their starting quarterback for Sunday's regular-season opener against Tennessee, league and team sources have confirmed for ESPN.com.

Fiedler and challenger A.J. Feeley, who battled for the starting job throughout camp and the preseason, were apprised of the decision by head coach Dave Wannstedt in meetings Monday morning. It is believed that Fiedler retained his starting job in a very close call over Feeley and that the decision was arrived at by the staff Sunday evening after a lengthy review of the merits of both quarterbacks.

While the decision to stick with the incumbent was not a surprise, some observers felt as recently as a week ago that Feeley would get the nod.

This will mark the fifth consecutive season-opening start for Fiedler, who has averaged 10.4 starts since joining the Dolphins as a free agent in 2000.

Most observers felt that, after missing the playoffs for two straight seasons, the Dolphins would go in a different direction at quarterback. Those suspicions were fueled when the team acquired Feeley from Philadelphia in an early March trade in which Miami sent a second-round pick in the 2005 draft to the Eagles.

Feeley, a notoriously poor practice player, struggled at times in camp and in preseason games. The fourth-year veteran completed 23 of 41 passes for 244 yards, with no touchdown passes and one interception.

Fiedler, meanwhile, completed 20 of 33 passes for 199 yards, with one touchdown pass and no interceptions.

A ninth-year veteran who had started just one regular-season game before joining the Dolphins, Fiedler has posted an impressive 35-17 record as a starter. He is a player who is more a complementary-type quarterback, one who is typically steady and will not lose games, but also won't win many games with big plays, either. While he has a legion of critics, Fiedler is much respected in the Miami locker room.

There was even some sentiment, after the Dolphins acquired Feeley, that Fiedler might be released. Obviously, that was not the case, and he arrived at camp determined to retain his spot atop the depth chart. Feeley will have to settle once again for being a backup, despite a 4-1 record as a starter, and the belief by some in the NFL that he possesses more than enough skill to be a starter someday.

Fiedler, 32, has completed 899 of 1,514 pass attempts for 10,551 yards, and the former Dartmouth standout has 61 touchdown passes, 58 interceptions and a 78.1 passer rating.
LINK

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
I guess once again the Dolphins season has ended before it started. :laugh:

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
BOOOOOO

i hate wadstedt. So we just wasted 20 million dollars and a second round pick. Go us.

·
Registered
881 Posts
As a Dolphin and football fan, I can assure anyone out here in BBB land, there has NEVER been such a monumental waste of an off season as the one the Fins are about to get through. I mean, if the apocalypse was upon us, somehow, someway, Fins' management would be involved.

From Marino to Ricky, McMicheal to Boston, Feeley to Ogunleye, Norv to Foester, it only seemed appropriate that this Hurricane of an offseason mess was delayed a little with Frances' plowing through Florida at just the right time.

I am extremely eager to see how this season plays out, and hoping and praying for Wannsteadt and his ultra conservative *** to be booted to the proverbial curb.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I have never ever liked Fieler, I think that Feely will be the QB of the future though. I think we will see him when the dolphins start to struggle or fielder goes down with an injury

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Originally posted by <b>CrossOver</b>!
As a Dolphin and football fan, I can assure anyone out here in BBB land, there has NEVER been such a monumental waste of an off season as the one the Fins are about to get through. I mean, if the apocalypse was upon us, somehow, someway, Fins' management would be involved.

From Marino to Ricky, McMicheal to Boston, Feeley to Ogunleye, Norv to Foester, it only seemed appropriate that this Hurricane of an offseason mess was delayed a little with Frances' plowing through Florida at just the right time.

I am extremely eager to see how this season plays out, and hoping and praying for Wannsteadt and his ultra conservative *** to be booted to the proverbial curb.
We've had a horrible offseason, no team deserves so much misfortune. But I have to say, Rick Spielman has done a hell of a job with all the obstacles that have been thrown at him.

·
Registered
13,950 Posts
Originally posted by <b>dmilesai</b>!
Why?

Start Feeley. He cost a 2nd round pick and has a better arm.

Oh well, Feeley SHOULD get some time this year.
getting feeley was the stupid thing. starting him would be even dumber. fielder certaintly isn't a pro bowl caliber qb but he's a solid guy that can get the job done. with a running game, he can be effective. they wasted money and a pick by getting feeley at all, not by not starting him.

·
Beer Drinker!!!
8,247 Posts
Titans - L
at Bengals - ?
Steelers - ?
Jets - ?
at Pats - L
at Bills - L
Rams - ?
at Jets - L
Cardinals - ?
at Seahawks - L
at 9ers - ?
Bills - ?
at Broncos - L
Pats - L
Browns - ?
at Ravens - L

Thats 8 losses!!!

·
Premium Member
12,829 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rocketeer</b>!

getting feeley was the stupid thing. starting him would be even dumber. fielder certaintly isn't a pro bowl caliber qb but he's a solid guy that can get the job done. with a running game, he can be effective. they wasted money and a pick by getting feeley at all, not by not starting him.
I also think the Phins wasted a pick, but I think the smart thing would have been to start Feeley. If Feeley doesnt pan out, we have Fiedler to come in. Fiedler knows the offense so he wouldnt be such a big risk. But, I think Wanny shouldve thrown in Feeley to see what he could do. Wanny went against the majority on this one and picked Fiedler. IMO the worse decision was his decision to start Minor. Minor played horribly this preaseason.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I agree, losing Ricky Williams is going to make Wandsteddt play a bit more aggressive. With Ricky our offensive philosophy was run, run, run and pound the ball with Ricky and score as many points as we could the first half, and then hope our defense could preserve the lead throughout the second half. Losing Ricky should make Wandsteddt drop the conservativeness and play a bit more aggressive. We need to attack, and keep on attacking on offense. With Chambers, Bookers, McMicheal, and Konrad you have to be an idiot not to pass the ball.

·
Beer Drinker!!!
8,247 Posts
Originally posted by <b>freakofnature</b>!
The Dolphins went 11-5 with Fiedler and Lamar Smith and advanced to the second round of the playoffs. The Dolphins ALWAYS find a way to finish above .500. Their D will keep them in every game.
We have crappy QB's/RB's and an inexperienced OL!!!

Lets not forget that Ogun is gone which will really hurt our pass rush!!!

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Originally posted by <b>HEATLUNATIC</b>!

We have crappy QB's/RB's and an inexperienced OL!!!

Lets not forget that Ogun is gone which will really hurt our pass rush!!!
That year we had crappy QB's/RB's and an inexperienced OL as well. Freak is right, this team always finds a way to win.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'm all for Fiedler starting, I knew that once we got Feely that Fiedler will start we wasted a 2nd round and I think we have his 8 million dollar contract- correct me if I'm wrong, 8 million is way to high, 3 million is more like it.The fins will be a 500 team this season, we have defense- taylor, bowens, seau, thomas yeah our ol might be have the same potential as last year but its younger, Fielder is going to have a good year we have chambers and booker with konrad and mcmicheal and the running game is going to be average konrad will probably run a little more and we all know Fiedler is not afraid of running and that probably why wannstedt picked him b/c he knows the offense, has a good starter record, can throw with the occasion pickoff and can run

·
Premium Member
12,829 Posts
I really hope Wanstedtt is not such a conservative idiot like he's been in the past. But I think Im getting my hopes up. I dont think it's possible to be all that aggressive with Fiedler at the helm and Wanny as the Head Coach. :cry:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts