Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankingsindex

#2 - UCLA
#12 - Washington

Receiving Votes

Arizona 12
California 6

Next year should be a great year in the Pac-10. UCLA is on schedule to make another Final Four appearance, Arizona is reloaded and will look like the Arizona teams of old, Washington is going to dominate the Pac-10 in the post, Oregon has a ton of talent and it should finally come together, if Powe stays (which he shouldn't) Cal will be in the tournament again. USC is up and coming and Floyd is doing a great job out there, they are my sleeper pick to suprise the Pac-10 next year.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,650 Posts
I'd love to see UCLA (and other Pac-10) teams make another charge to the Final Four next year, but the conspiracy theory fan in me tells me otherwise. "Why?" do you ask....

Florida-UCLA can't compete in Nielsen ratings with UNC-Illinois championship

The NCAA tournament championship game between Florida and UCLA drew an 11.2 Nielsen rating for CBS, down 25 percent from last year's final.
Same reason that the 2001 Duke/Arizona was one of the worst, one-sidedly officiated games--the NCAA will cater to higher ratings, which essentially favors east coast teams.

Time will tell, but this much is true--UCLA, Arizona, and the rest of the Pac-10 will have to compete (once again) against all odds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bruindre said:
I'd love to see UCLA (and other Pac-10) teams make another charge to the Final Four next year, but the conspiracy theory fan in me tells me otherwise. "Why?" do you ask....

Florida-UCLA can't compete in Nielsen ratings with UNC-Illinois championship



Same reason that the 2001 Duke/Arizona was one of the worst, one-sidedly officiated games--the NCAA will cater to higher ratings, which essentially favors east coast teams.

Time will tell, but this much is true--UCLA, Arizona, and the rest of the Pac-10 will have to compete (once again) against all odds.

Good post, it's funny how nobody knows about "the Prince" before the final four, not many knew of Jordan Farmar, most probably think Afflalo is an average basketball player. You could just tell most of the announcers, media, and fans, had no idea what was going on other then who the fathers of the Gator players were. It was all Florida, Noah, Green, Horford, and their familiy ties to stardom.

What do you hear about UCLA? How does this team matchup against the great UCLA teams? John Wooden is in the hospital, Wooden isnt attending any tourmanet games, the Pac-10 champion? Is that still a conference?

I really found it funny how the media portrayed UCLA as an independent team. The Pac-10 means nothing to most of the country and that includes the national media. The Pac-10 had one of the best records in the tournament, and its best team all year long (UCLA) made the championship game, but still all the talk was about UCLA's tradition.

The Pac will compete against the odds year in, year out, until we have a major television deal with ESPN.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,095 Posts
TucsonClip said:
Good post, it's funny how nobody knows about "the Prince" before the final four, not many knew of Jordan Farmar, most probably think Afflalo is an average basketball player. You could just tell most of the announcers, media, and fans, had no idea what was going on other then who the fathers of the Gator players were. It was all Florida, Noah, Green, Horford, and their familiy ties to stardom.

What do you hear about UCLA? How does this team matchup against the great UCLA teams? John Wooden is in the hospital, Wooden isnt attending any tourmanet games, the Pac-10 champion? Is that still a conference?

I really found it funny how the media portrayed UCLA as an independent team. The Pac-10 means nothing to most of the country and that includes the national media. The Pac-10 had one of the best records in the tournament, and its best team all year long (UCLA) made the championship game, but still all the talk was about UCLA's tradition.

The Pac will compete against the odds year in, year out, until we have a major television deal with ESPN.

yup i agree. Its espn or its nothing.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,650 Posts
TucsonClip said:
The Pac will compete against the odds year in, year out, until we have a major television deal with ESPN.
I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. A lot of the folks at ESPN, and the college basketball establishment, would rather banish the greatest college basketball program in the obscurity of a conference on the left coast with no media attention.

God forbid you even regularly televise anyone from that conference, right? Gotta push the Dukes, North Carolinas, Kentuckys and Kansases of the world before you recognize the West Coast has got bragging rights on not only the greatest program in college basketball history, but the greatest conference in college basketball history.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bruindre said:
I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. A lot of the folks at ESPN, and the college basketball establishment, would rather banish the greatest college basketball program in the obscurity of a conference on the left coast with no media attention.

God forbid you even regularly televise anyone from that conference, right? Gotta push the Dukes, North Carolinas, Kentuckys and Kansases of the world before you recognize the West Coast has got bragging rights on not only the greatest program in college basketball history, but the greatest conference in college basketball history.
True, I honestly hope we never have a major deal with ESPN, because I like Fox Sports for the fact I can watch almost every Arizona game on Fox Sports or their college sports package.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top