Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The College Insider website is back up partially, but not completely yet. They have put the the MM Top 25 poll for Jan. 5, and the next one will be out tomorrow. Since I don't know what happened to our moderator, who usually posts it, I'll put it here for now.

http://www.collegeinsider.com/mmpoll.htm

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well, it is finally up, but I question the thought that went into making this "list". How is Milwaukee not in the top 25? They have beaten two of the teams in the top 25 (UIC and Detroit), and lost by a combined 6 points to two more (SIU and Santa Clara). Also, a case can be made for GB. They don't have any "power" wins, but they are winning the games that they should.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with Pnthr. UWM needs to by higher in this list. I am as big a Phoenix fan as they get. In fact, I have front row seats just down from the opposing teams bench. We are always in the other coaches ear. While I am very happy that GB is winning the games that they should, the real test comes this Saturday. Competing against the well coached athletic teams will be the huge test. Some of the teams that GB has beaten definitely has talent, but I question the coaching. It should be fun. I would suspect that there will be a pretty good crowd. I am sure that UWM will bring plenty of fans.

·
Registered
56 Posts
GB has definitely been the biggest surprise in the HL this year! Although I am not a GB "fan" since they always put a pretty good beating on me when I went up their to play :upset: I do have a good amount of respect for their program and enjoy the fact that another team from WI is doing well. :D With that being said, I think the game on Sat. will be a good test for both teams. UWM hasn't been on the road much (with the exception of Loyola last Sat.) in HL play, and GB hasn't played, like you said, any athletic, talented, well coached teams (I think UWM fits that bill ;) ). I know that UWM is organizing some fan busses and I think that their should be a decent sized UWM contingent at the game. (UWM had about 250 fans at the Loyola game last Sat.). I hope that since the game is on TV it doesn't make people from Milwaukee just stay at home to watch the game. Is is safe to assume that it will be a sellout? IMO their hasn't been a UWM vs. GB game with this much significance in some time. No doubt that the stakes for the game in Milwaukee will be even higher. Does GB still travel with a pretty good fan base? I know that they ALWAYS do for the Milwaukee games, but what about the other games? Good luck on Sat..........should be a great show!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I definitely agree that Milwaukee should be in the Top 25. It does seem like they belong there. I don't know why UIC is still in there, they really haven't done too much to prove their position.

This Saturday's game between Green Bay and Milwaukee might be a preview of the Horizon League championship, with the way things are going. If Green Bay wins, they should set themselves up for a great shot at the regular season title, and, from the way the conference has turned out so far, the only games that will give them a lot of trouble will be the game in Milwaukee, at Detroit, and possibly at UIC. I don't know what to make of UIC, they haven't done anything in the conference to prove themselves.

The same actually goes for Milwaukee with this game. They'll probably have an even better chance than Green Bay if they win, because Green Bay will still have to come down to Milwaukee to play. Games that might give Milwaukee trouble would be at Detroit and possibly at Wright State. I'm not completely ready to say that Wright State is one of the best in the conference, but they made an excellent case for it when they beat Detroit at Detroit last Saturday.

I don't think this Saturday's game is going to be sold out, but it will probably be the one where the most tickets are sold, unless the Bracket Buster game has a very good opponent. Last year, there were about 5800 people, but if you also look at the Butler game from last year to this year, there was a drop of about 200 people. I would say that, with the way the Phoenix have been playing, and after a sweep of Butler, 6000 would be a good estimate. I think that the fans seeing Green Bay sweep an opponent that they know has been good might bring more fans, despite how Butler is now.

This will be a big game this Saturday, and I know Milwaukee and Green Bay are probably both training intensely for this game. I just hope that Milwaukee doesn't make the same mistake they made last year and prepare so much for this game that they don't for Youngstown State, and that ends up being a harder game than they anticipate. I remember that was what they did last year when they were preparing for Butler, and it cost them the Green Bay game.

Here's a different question, though. Has the Milwaukee fan base dropped since moving to U.S. Cellular Arena? I thought they were averaging about 5000 a game at the Klotsche Center last season, though the place didn't look like it could hold 5000 people.

·
Registered
56 Posts
UWM attendance

Here's a different question, though. Has the Milwaukee fan base dropped since moving to U.S. Cellular Arena? I thought they were averaging about 5000 a game at the Klotsche Center last season, though the place didn't look like it could hold 5000 people.
I wouldn't say that the attendace has really dropped much. You have to remember that UWM has had a really "unique" home schedule so far. They were home for a few games early on (no real big name games, with the exception of Southern Illinois - who is only well known to the basketball junkies), then they were on the road for entire month of December, with the exception of the game against UIC on the 23 of December - no students were around and it is obviously right before Christmas. They went on the road for three more games, and played Detroit on January 5 and Butler on the 8th (again, no students are on campus). I think that with the combination of having no students around for the "bigger" conference home games, as well as not being able to build any real momentum at home (i.e. winning a few in a row and building up some interest by local media), it has been tough to draw fans. There are many other "entertainment" options in Milwaukee, and the city has kind of an out of sight, out of mind attitude. UWM has been on the road so much, I think people forget about them, then bam, they are home for one game and gone again. Hopefully, now they can start to get some fan momentum in league play - but two of the conference frontrunners (preseason) have already been in and out of town.

Anyways, this info is from the Loyola message board, so I don't know where it came from or how accurate it is, but take it for what it is worth.

"HL home attendance as of January 10, 2004:

Wright State 5152
Butler 4855
UIC 3985
UWGB 3591
CSU 3469
UWM 3176
Detroit 2802
YSU 2332
Loyola 1990"

The Klotche center had a capacity of 5,000, and was filled several times, but we definitely did not average 5,000 a game. I do not know the exact numbers off the top of my head, but I am guessing that UWM averaged 3,000 to 3,500 per game last year. FYI, the YSU game tomorrow night is back at the Klotche Center, not the US Cellular Arena.

I anticipate the game against GB will be the biggest home crowd by far this year.

·
Registered
56 Posts
updated attendance figures

Thanks to the guys at the Wright State board. ;)

Wright State board

"HL home attendance as of January 10, 2004:

Wright State 5152 (up 791 from last year)
Butler 4855 (down 1058 from last year)
UIC 3985 (down 258 from last year)
UWGB 3591 (down 703 from last year)
CSU 3469 (up 1647 from last year)
UWM 3176 (down 1090 from last year)
Detroit 2802 (up 202 from last year)
YSU 2332 (down 39 from last year)
Loyola 1990 (down 1020 from last year)

Note: Cleveland State drew 11,500 for it's home game against the North Carolina Tar Heels - an average of 3,469 (up 1,647 from last year) is rather sad.

Take out the UNC game, and they average 1,800. Their current average of 3,469 will probably fall to around 2,000 by the end of the season."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.