Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fifteen years after the departure of the Jets, the city of Winnipeg has arrived at a triumphant moment that many thought would never come.

NHL hockey is returning to the Manitoba capital.

The True North Sports and Entertainment group announced on Tuesday that they have completed a deal to purchase the Atlanta Thrashers and move them to Winnipeg in time for the 2011-12 season.

The sale is still pending NHL Board of Governors approval, which should occur on June 21 when the board meets in New York. The transfer of ownership requires 75 percent approval from the Board while relocation only needs a majority result.

Both True North and the Atlanta Spirit ownership group signed off on the deal that had been in the works for several weeks. Legal teams representing the Spirit group, along with teams from True North and the National Hockey League spent Monday night and Tuesday morning completing the final details of the purchase.

The franchise price is $170 million, which includes a relocation fee of $60 million. As determined by the NHL Board of Governors, the relocation fee will be distributed among the other 29 teams.

The team will play out of the MTS Centre, which opened in 2004 and has a capacity of just over 15,000 seats.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=367433

WOOOOOOOOO! Greatest day of my life!!!

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Re: Finally The Nhl Has Returned To Winnipeg!

Enjoy it buddy. I'm pretty excited to see Winnipeg lace them up next season.

Just waiting to see what they call themselves.

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yeah were all hoping the team is called the Jets but I really wouldn't be surprised if they ended up choosing a different name. The top 3 rumored names are Jets, Falcons and Manitoba Moose. Yesterday I skipped school and partied downtown all day to celebrate. I actually ended up on the front page of the sports section in the Winnipeg Free Press today! Im the guy in the Jets jersey on the right. GO JETS GO!

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/citys-nhl-dream-comes-true-122927063.html

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts

The franchise price is $170 million, which includes a relocation fee of $60 million
.. ****, that's really not much money for a pro sports franchise. $110M? Pretty sure Joe Johnson's last contract was worth more.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts

.. ****, that's really not much money for a pro sports franchise. $110M? Pretty sure Joe Johnson's last contract was worth more.
ATL has been losing money hand over fist for years, and it was the only offer. They either had to accept, or keep throwing money out the window.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts

Don't let the door hit you on your way out, as they say.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts

Although there weren't many fans in ATL, the ones that were there seemed pretty hard core. Sad to see them lose their team, but happy for Winnipeg.

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Honestly **** Atlanta. They had like less than a 100 people show up to the "Save our Thrashers" rally. It's a joke that cities like this, Phoenix and Nashville are even given a chance in the NHL. I'm hoping to see Quebec City land the Coyotes in the near future. The game should be played where people actually care.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts

Although there weren't many fans in ATL, the ones that were there seemed pretty hard core. Sad to see them lose their team, but happy for Winnipeg.
East coast transplants. **** them

·
I'm perfectly calm Dude
13,413 Posts

I normally could give a **** about hockey, but good for winnipeg.. keep the hockey in the cities that actually care about it and will support it

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts

Why did they lose the team originally?

Anyways I don't agree that warm weather cities can't support a hockey team. It just better be a winner in those cases. You got a team that is a loser so congrats. Hope they fire the GM and HC

·
I'm perfectly calm Dude
13,413 Posts

Anyways I don't agree that warm weather cities can't support a hockey team. It just better be a winner in those cases
Cause owners in the nhl made the mistake of thinking america cared about hockey, they continue to keep making the same mistake with soccer.. outside of a few cities.. which the support is there purely through large population, america cares about 3 team sports,baseball, basketball and football and thats not changing anytime soon

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts

There are bottom tier teams in the NBA & MLB with half empty stadiums too.

·
Site Founder
15,518 Posts

Cause owners in the nhl made the mistake of thinking america cared about hockey, they continue to keep making the same mistake with soccer.. outside of a few cities.. which the support is there purely through large population, america cares about 3 team sports,baseball, basketball and football and thats not changing anytime soon
You ought to go to a Kings game, your mind will change pretty quickly about "American hockey fans."

Rabid and loyal, we have been waiting for a ****ing Stanley Cup for 45 years. It pains me to see Vancouver get one before us...but then again, we were are really at the doorstep. Got me some nice season tickets for next season! **** the Canucks!

·
Site Founder
15,518 Posts

Anyways I don't agree that warm weather cities can't support a hockey team. It just better be a winner in those cases. You got a team that is a loser so congrats. Hope they fire the GM and HC
Atlanta is a two-time loser in the NHL, they will never get a sniff again. Or they shouldn't anyway.

Flames to Calgary.
Now Thrashers to Winnipeg.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts

I have no idea what's going on in this thread, I don't speak Canadian.

·
Site Founder
15,518 Posts

Honestly **** Atlanta. They had like less than a 100 people show up to the "Save our Thrashers" rally. It's a joke that cities like this, Phoenix and Nashville are even given a chance in the NHL. I'm hoping to see Quebec City land the Coyotes in the near future. The game should be played where people actually care.
That's not really a fair assessment, since the deal was pretty much done anyway. I wouldn't even waste time to go to "save some team" rally if I knew there was no chance the team would stay anyway.

Winnipeg lost the Jets because Winnipeg is tiny also. It's about size. So Winnipeg is a one-time loser in the NHL just like Quebec was. Does it really make a difference where the team is, if its a small market?

Your argument about "the game should be played where people actually care" is a knee-jerk reaction. Phoenix, Nashville, and Atlanta all have (had) very rabid fans as well.

Face it buddy, your city already lost once in the NHL and had to steal another city's team in order to try it again. Let's see if Winnipeg can make it a goal this time. Otherwise, if they lose again, they should be put at the top of the "do not return" list.

·
I'm perfectly calm Dude
13,413 Posts

You ought to go to a Kings game, your mind will change pretty quickly about "American hockey fans."

Rabid and loyal, we have been waiting for a ****ing Stanley Cup for 45 years. It pains me to see Vancouver get one before us...but then again, we were are really at the doorstep. Got me some nice season tickets for next season! **** the Canucks!
LA has the second largest population in the usa... they are popular because there is a large population there..same with chicago and new york, where the blackhawks and rangers are a distant fourth to the big 3 sports

·
Site Founder
15,518 Posts

Enjoy it buddy. I'm pretty excited to see Winnipeg lace them up next season.

Just waiting to see what they call themselves.
"Coyotes" would be appropriate. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts