Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Let's try it this way:

Would you say it's a fair assessment?
No, disagree. I think if the Pistons had Mike James or whoever the backup PG was starting Rasheed wouldn't of been enough firepower.
Shaq put up 26.6ppg (on .631FG%) / 10.8 / 1.6. Clearly the best stat-line from either teams.
He didn't lead the team in FGA because Kobe Bryant was out of his mind. Shooting under .400FG% in the Finals is unacceptable (see what i did here? ;) ).
It was a losing effort, yes. That's the whole point. And Snaq didn't guard Billups or Rip, obviously. Did Lebron guard Stephen Curry?
Compare Shaq's statline to Billups. Its the best, but not light years better. Lebron was the teams point guard, only guy that can create his own shot except Mozgov and also the power forward for 15-20 minutes a night. He's clearly more valuable to the Cavs than Shaq was to the 04 Lakers. Not to mention his team overachieved in the finals, the 04 Lakers underacheived even when you account for a gimp mail man. I didn't expect Shaq to guard Billups or Rip, but he could of shut down Sheed.

One can say it's not fair, but the rule about the Finals MVP award is that you give it to a player of the winning team, even if said player is not the better player on court.

Same thing about the regular season MVP award, btw, if the most valuable player in the league is on a losing team, he won't get the award. I don't think
Tiny Tim should have won the MVP in 1972-1973 although he had a season for the ages (that will NEVER be replicated) and Dave Cowens ended up winning it with "pedestrian" statline.

Now, one can defend that the "rules" of the NBA Finals MVP should be changed. No problem. But 2015 Lebron James was NOT 1968 Jerry West.
There is no "rule." If they're going to only give it to winning teams they should make it a rule. Thats my point.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
No, disagree. I think if the Pistons had Mike James or whoever the backup PG was starting Rasheed wouldn't of been enough firepower.

Compare Shaq's statline to Billups. Its the best, but not light years better. Lebron was the teams point guard, only guy that can create his own shot except Mozgov and also the power forward for 15-20 minutes a night. He's clearly more valuable to the Cavs than Shaq was to the 04 Lakers. Not to mention his team overachieved in the finals, the 04 Lakers underacheived even when you account for a gimp mail man. I didn't expect Shaq to guard Billups or Rip, but he could of shut down Sheed.
The 13ppg on .453FG% Sheed?

There is no "rule." If they're going to only give it to winning teams they should make it a rule. Thats my point.
Look at the history of the award and tell me there's no "rule".

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
The 13ppg on .453FG% Sheed?

Look at the history of the award and tell me there's no "rule".
Look at the rules and tell me there's a rule. I'll help you, look up the definition of the word rule.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Are you really using +/-?
Should I use this?

That’s sort of like giving World Series MVP to a pitcher who went 2-0 but in games that finished 11-9, right? Not really. Andre Iguodala was the rightful recipient of the Finals MVP and certainly deserved to win it by more than the 7-4 margin he had over LeBron. Why? Despite LeBron’s prodigious numbers, his offensive efficiency was garbage — and that’s being kind. Iggy was like a wall, holding LeBron to just eight uncontested shots prior to Game 6 and forcing The King into an 11-46 shooting performance when he was D’ing him up.

As I said he soaked up all the shots. Maybe I should've used this….

That’s the stat of a desperate man. A man who has no answers with the loss of teammates Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love. Why did LeBron 35.8 points per game in the NBA Finals? Because he took so many shots that it’d have been impossible not to. His shooting nights, with Iguodala draped all over him: 18-38, 11-35, 14-34, 7-22, 15-34 and 13-33. That’s a .398 shooting percentage from the floor. Did LeBron try to do too much?

His overall shooting percentage from the regular season was .488, which was .090 worse than what he shot in the Finals. For the entire month of January, LeBron never had a single-game shooting percentage lower than .400. There are dozens of stats that basically say the same thing: LeBron shot really, really poorly in the Finals.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/06/lebron-james-had-the-worst-awesome-performance-in-nba-finals-history

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
James won the award

MIP = Most Invaluable player

The one who defends him won the MVP.

·
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine
8,475 Posts
So a player that shot 38% while having a minus +/- was the most valuable player in the Finals? His numbers were remarkable but from Game 4 on he was basically soaking up as many shots as he could and padding his stats
I feel like everything else in basketball apart from scoring is irrelevant to you.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Look at the rules and tell me there's a rule. I'll help you, look up the definition of the word rule.
Don't be condescending,bro. It doesn't suit you.

The NBA Finals MVP has been awarded for 46 seasons. In 45 of them it went to a player of the winning team. The exception was in the first season of the award, for Mr. Logo.

West (or Wilr) didn't win it in 1970
Kareem didn't win it in 1974
Julius didn't win it in 1977
Moses didn't win it in 1981
Shaq didn't win it in 2004
Kobe didn't win it in 2008
Lebron didn't win it in 2014.

There's a pattern, here.

Is it an Oficial Nba Rule? I don't think so. Is it "rule" as "this is the way we do things"? Yup.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Don't be condescending,bro. It doesn't suit you.

The NBA Finals MVP has been awarded for 46 seasons. In 45 of them it went to a player of the winning team. The exception was in the first season of the award, for Mr. Logo.

West (or Wilr) didn't win it in 1970
Kareem didn't win it in 1974
Julius didn't win it in 1977
Moses didn't win it in 1981
Shaq didn't win it in 2004
Kobe didn't win it in 2008
Lebron didn't win it in 2014.

There's a pattern, here.

Is it an Oficial Nba Rule? I don't think so. Is it "rule" as "this is the way we do things"? Yup.
So back to what I said, make it a rule or give it to the most valuable player. Obviously four of the voters weren't aware of "this is the way we do things."

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
There will always be people going agaist the norm. Popey Jones received one (regular season) MVP vote once... ;)
You sure you don't mean PJ Brown?

41 - 52 of 52 Posts