Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmm, why doesn't DMiles play anymore..seems like he had a great game when he was in. He got like 5 mins of run in the 2nd half. I was so seriously pissed off at Cheeks during the game I didn't even care if we won or lost. Also Damon getting 42 mins tonight..2 much! Hew can't defend an 8th grader, play Q,give him some minutes,its the only way he will get better. Then Cheeks sits there and pouts like a litle girl with his hand in his face..it drives me crazy...here's a though..get up off you azz and cheer on your team and for once run some set plays.
:soapbox:

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
dude...settle down.

It is his 2nd game as a Blazer, you can't expect him to all the sudden be in the game just yet, when things get close.

Would it have been nice to see him play more minutes? Sure..

But who's minutes do you want him to replace?

Damon? Then who's the PG?

Sheed? (he had a good game)
Zach?
Patterson?

like I said, settle down.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I'm not sure why Miles didn't play more and why Damon played so much but let's not go overboard about Cheeks. The Blazers won the game and probably would have won by much more if Dixon didn't have a career night. Cheeks isn't the main problem in Portland. The players are not performing well on consistent basis and the talent level is not what it used to be. Firing Cheeks would be a stupid move at this juncture.

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MAS RipCity</b>!
Hmm, why doesn't DMiles play anymore..seems like he had a great game when he was in. He got like 5 mins of run in the 2nd half. I was so seriously pissed off at Cheeks during the game I didn't even care if we won or lost. Also Damon getting 42 mins tonight..2 much! Hew can't defend an 8th grader, play Q,give him some minutes,its the only way he will get better. Then Cheeks sits there and pouts like a litle girl with his hand in his face..it drives me crazy...here's a though..get up off you azz and cheer on your team and for once run some set plays.
:soapbox:
I hope you aren't serious.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Cheeks couldn't afford for this game to be a learning experience for Miles. Miles contributed in the time we gave him, but we had to go with guys who knew each other down the stretch. That's all.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
MAS...

...you are complaining about the TV coverage of Cheeks essentially. You aren't hearing what is said in practice or the locker room or the huddle. You're just criticizing his expression on TV? Come on now. Cheer the team on? Why, cuz they're beating the Wiz? He wants more from these guys. He'll cheer them on when they win the championship.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
so Hap and antibody--

do you honestly think the future of this team the way it is currently constructed is to play Damon 43 minutes a game? personally, the thought of watching the Damon Toronto Raptors redux just plain sickens me. it's a plan based on a crappy player hogging the ball incessantly, driving up numbers for himself without any hope for team success.

I actually liked watching Woods play all of his 4 minutes at backup point. sure, they pressed us and at times we screwed up. but I also noticed that even when things looked shaky and Woods was barely evading doubleteams, we still had the ball in Randolph's hands with 16 seconds on the clock.

if all Cheeks plans to do in the absence of McInnis, is to play Woods 4 MPG, then we truly do need to fire him. it shows a complete lack of imagination on a team that is not going to make the playoffs anyway.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Here are my thoughts on the two issues here:

-- Miles's minutes. Personally, while I am VERY pleased with what I've seen so far, I am glad that he's going to be eased into the lineup. He probably only knows 2 of the 4 plays, so he needs a bit more time.

-- Damon's minutes. Damon played very well offensively tonight (although he was getting torched, as normal, on defense), and it helped us win. The thing is Damon's going to be playing a ton of minutes, if Mo's history and our current roster is any indication, and that's neither good for our future (since Damon's 30 years old and out of here when his contract expires) nor our present most nights (since he won't shoot 50% from the field very often, but he will be constantly weak on defense).

The thing is, I don't know if pushing Q into the backup 1 role is a good thing for him, even if it is the only option Nash has left Mo with...

Ed O.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Originally posted by <b>theWanker</b>!
so Hap and antibody--

do you honestly think the future of this team the way it is currently constructed is to play Damon 43 minutes a game? personally, the thought of watching the Damon Toronto Raptors redux just plain sickens me. it's a plan based on a crappy player hogging the ball incessantly, driving up numbers for himself without any hope for team success.
maybe when Darius has more of a handle on the team Damon won't play 43 minutes..

I think it's a little too soon to be complaining about Miles lack of minutes in his 2nd game.

I actually liked watching Woods play all of his 4 minutes at backup point. sure, they pressed us and at times we screwed up. but I also noticed that even when things looked shaky and Woods was barely evading doubleteams, we still had the ball in Randolph's hands with 16 seconds on the clock.
I too liked Woods play tonite.
if all Cheeks plans to do in the absence of McInnis, is to play Woods 4 MPG, then we truly do need to fire him. it shows a complete lack of imagination on a team that is not going to make the playoffs anyway.
damon was hot, they tried to ride him out.

of course, he was being lit up on the defensive end too.

I think we're putting a little too much into the fact Woods played 4 minutes, and Miles played 19.

I actually think the team that played best in tonites game had Person in it, and Woods. (albeit, it was 4 minutes).

·
Registered
990 Posts
Myth buster (no longer applicable)...

Damon is still a quick PG (?).

Damon is no longer the quick PG that he use to be. It is now painfully obvious that Damon is incapable of beating anyone off the dribble without a pick (multiple picks in a single possession at times).

I watched in tonight’s game as Dixon and Blake basically took turns at running a one-man press on Damon the length of the floor.

He had not a prayer of blowing by one of these players (which is typically what quick, athletic players do when being player that tight so far up the court). He slowly worked the ball up when the tactic was employed (either having to pass it out or barely beat the 8 second count).

Damon is not the athlete he use to be and the notion that he is quick is no longer true (his quickness is now very average as far as PG’s go).

-----

Damon had a good offensive showing against Washington (he hit a lot of big shots) but he appeared to run out of gas mid way through the 4th (due to the heavy minutes).

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Steve Blake burnt Damon a few times...nuff said about that....

Did anyone else watch the game????When Darius played..we did good...when he went out..they went on some pretty solid runs. I just think that Cheeks has the coaching ability of a 2nd grader...if someone is doing good...wouldn't you give them some run?

FIRE CHEEKS! BRING ON SCOTT!

·
Registered
731 Posts
An element that I don't see much talk about is that this Blazer team doesn't yet "know how to win". One of Cheeks' major goals is probably for this team to learn how it wins. Another is for the team to play together more of the time.

This was a winable game. However, when Q was in, the opposition pressed Q and prevented him from starting the offense. He responded in an OK manner, by going one on one, but the rest of the team was standing around. Damon was also shooting well. I can't fault Cheeks for keeping this game mostly in Damon's hands.

I think Q will continue to get time at PG. I especially think, as he learns to handle the pressure, his time will go up. Rome wasn't built...............

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: MAS...

Originally posted by <b>NathanLane</b>!
...you are complaining about the TV coverage of Cheeks essentially. You aren't hearing what is said in practice or the locker room or the huddle. You're just criticizing his expression on TV? Come on now. Cheer the team on? Why, cuz they're beating the Wiz? He wants more from these guys. He'll cheer them on when they win the championship.
Dude,when we had the lineup of Damon,Wes,Rube,Zach,and Dale in..it was one of the toughest things I had to watch in a long time, no ball movement,crappy shots,no defense,not going after rebounds..most of it was due to Damon not knowing how to run a team...Damon was bailed out when he had Zach and Sheed and Darius on the court at the same time with him because those guys make plays. I wanted them to win,but I could have cared less had they had lost,it would have been Cheeks' fault. Myabe people don't realize how much I like DMiles' game, he brings a ton to this team,and not using it...its just plain stupid.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Originally posted by <b>antibody</b>!
...The Blazers won the game and probably would have won by much more if Dixon didn't have a career night....

But that is a point as well.. no offense Antibody.. but most teams have one player have a career night against us during the season...

it just seems to happen.. they see Portland on the schedule and its like Pablov's dog.... they start to salivate.. :drool:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Playing Qyntel would have possibly lost us the game.

Damon had a GREAT night offensively, and well, Qyntel is a turnover waiting to happen.

I see him in the FUTURE as a threat, but now hes only good for a few impressive drives on fast breaks. At least, thats all i have seen this season to be blunt.

His jumper is streaky, and he is not careful with the ball. If there is any argument about who should have played more, it should be geared towards Darius.

8 points/ 4 rebound in (i believe) the first quarter? Comon, let the kid play. But i do agree with what Cheeks did down the stretch.

We won the game, so dont trip too much.\

PS. After blowing the lead in the 4th i almost said to myself that i give up on this team...Thank the lord we pulled it out, cause i would be in shambles...haha.

:D :laugh:

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Ed, our team only knows three plays and we run two of them pretty well! Miles should be on top of it before they get off the plane in Memphis.;)

As for Damon he had a great three quarters and shot the lights out , he should have been in that hot. Q will have his time but you don't bench a guy when he's stroking threes like that no matter who it is. Damon also had 10 assists. No complaints!

Let's hope this momentum can last into Wednesday and our boys can put a hurting on Bozo and crew!

I don't see why we couldn't win all three games on this trip. None!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Trader Bob</b>!
But that is a point as well.. no offense Antibody.. but most teams have one player have a career night against us during the season...

it just seems to happen.. they see Portland on the schedule and its like Pablov's dog.... they start to salivate.. :drool:
I disagree with that. I don't think most teams have had one player have a career night against the Blazers this year. Portland held the Wizards to what...81 points. I know they didn't have a few good players but it's still only 81 points. Anyone is bound to get lucky in the NBA on a certain night.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts