Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Binghamton is headed towards it's 8th straight 20+ loss season under Dempsey. Attendance is down 15% since his first season and 70% (!) since 2009. The program has not ever hosted a tournament game since the format changed and only one postseason victory in 8 years.

Surely this is not what the Bing AD thought they were signing up for 8 years ago?

Year after year we are preached patience and growth, followed by minimal OOC success and complete annihilation in conference play.

Bing, what will it take to move on? Will it ever? The talent has been there. It's obvious a change needs to be made. Please put us out of this misery and move to D2 if this is what you want.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Bing has had the players that other coaches could have easily had winning seasons with. Dempsey is obviously a good recruiter but once he gets past "yes" he's lost. It's way past the time for someone else.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Disagree with the talent assessment of Bing. They have been untalented and poorly coached. Not sure why he's still there for any reason besides maybe that they haven't had any players put anyone into a coma since he's started?

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
Disagree with the talent assessment of Bing. They have been untalented and poorly coached. Not sure why he's still there for any reason besides maybe that they haven't had any players put anyone into a coma since he's started?
This... Occasionally they have a kid or two that can play. The rest suck... It's just a bad program with a guy who stinks plowing them into the ground every year. Dempsey should have been put out of his misery long ago...clueless coach but bing doesn't seem to care.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: mNY12

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, you are probably right, sitting at the bottom the expectations are lower. I mean talent to at least be .500 in conference and somewhat respectable.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I wouldn't expect any change. At this point, it seems like the university is satisfied to offer a D1 athletic program but that is about as far as it goes unless a well-moneyed donor wants to get involved.

Now, I haven't watched a Binghamton game in years and even if I did I wouldn't be qualified to judge who is and who isn't a good in-game coach -- but the statistical evidence suggests that Dempsey is not very good in-game. Twice in the last three years, Binghamton has run up fully respectable OOC results and then absolutely tanked in AE play. From an RPI perspective, their OOC opponents are generally on the same level as AE teams (once you take out the Michigan State or Notre Dame outliers)

Of course, in OOC play the opposing coaches have scouted you and your team for maybe a few hours of pre-game film study. Once conference play arrives opposing coaches know your tendencies and your team over many years. And the record indicates that every AE coach (except maybe Geno Ford!) knows exactly what's coming and is fully prepared for it. This should work both ways, but the record shows Dempsey and Binghamton on the short end of that score pretty consistently. If we sucked in both the OOC and in AE play then it's a crap shoot as to what the problem is. Given that the problem is conference play (and with no disrespect intended to the membership, this isn't exactly the ACC) the biggest problem seems to be that the coach is the proverbial sucker at the card game.

A limited number of D1 level athletes combined with a limited coaching staff equals lots of angst about whether you'll finish 7th, 8th or 9th in the AE each year.

·
Premium Member
33,156 Posts
Youth, injuries, road games-coach/fan speak excuse bingo.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I'm not sure Dempsey has been given a fair shake at Bing to get things going and deserves a bit more time. Rome was NOT built in a day. Give him a few more years to mold the program into something you can all be proud of.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,725 Posts
I propose a trade. AE sends Binghamton to the NEC for Merrimack. The NEC gets a boost to it's academic reputation and AE gets a school who wants to compete at the division one level.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well said... I've tried to stay engaged but you put on ESPN+ in barely-HD to watch them down 20 to Maine in the first half... It's rough

·
Registered
164 Posts
he got a three year extension in 2018. So as of right now his last year is next year. which should be his last. hoping they pul the trigger this year and give him his last year's pay as fairwell present.

i like dempsey nice guy but binghamton is a top 3 job in the league. The only thing we do not have is the wins. If i was binghamton i would call Al Walker back to see if he still has a couple good years left. Al got paid less, graduated players, no one was getting arrested and finished 6,4,5,4,2,6 in conference over his 6 years. the first three being the 1st in binghamton's D1 history. The crazy part of this is Dempsey has never achieved walker type of success. not once. literally Al got fired a year after finishing 2nd place. Dempsey has finished better than 7th once in 8 years and in that one year he finished 6th. walker has 51 conference wins in 6 years compared to Dempsey's 27 in 8 years. walker did this with a much better league. how crazy is that?

I know they are not bringing Al back but jesus if we are not going to try and win the league can we at least find a guy who can get al waker type success.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Walker got fired because the people running the school and the athletic department at the time were delusional psychos who thought that Binghamton was going to be the next Michigan or Duke...

To be fair, I think Walker was what he was -- a coach that could build competitive teams in the AE but was never going to build long-term success. He probably would have won an AE title once every 10 years and been competitive or mid-pack in most others. At the time, it wasn't good enough -- now most Binghamton fans would be thrilled with that. Doubt that he's the right guy anymore -- he's been away from the college men's game ever since he left Vestal. Probably living a more lucrative and less stressful existence as an NBA scout.

·
Premium Member
33,156 Posts
Bing admins probably pee themselves a little bit and break into cold sweats at the thought of conducting a men’s b-ball coach search. For that reason, I’m on the Dempsey re-hire watch.

Reactions: mNY12

·
Registered
128 Posts
Bing admins probably pee themselves a little bit and break into cold sweats at the thought of conducting a men’s b-ball coach search. For that reason, I’m on the Dempsey re-hire watch.
Binghamton ran into a budget crunch the past couple of years -- I think that influenced the decision to extend Dempsey. Would have been tough to spend millions on a search and new coach while faculty and staff were being asked to suck it up.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Walker got fired because the people running the school and the athletic department at the time were delusional psychos who thought that Binghamton was going to be the next Michigan or Duke...

To be fair, I think Walker was what he was -- a coach that could build competitive teams in the AE but was never going to build long-term success. He probably would have won an AE title once every 10 years and been competitive or mid-pack in most others. At the time, it wasn't good enough -- now most Binghamton fans would be thrilled with that. Doubt that he's the right guy anymore -- he's been away from the college men's game ever since he left Vestal. Probably living a more lucrative and less stressful existence as an NBA scout.

i was being sarcastic. i dont think we should bring him back just trying to prove the point that binghamton fired a guy who was leaps and bounds better than what we currently have. basically everyone wanted walker gone but turns out he was the best coach we had out of the 4.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts