Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so mad right now at the stupidity of Doc Rivers during this game right now I am about to scream.

We have Isiah Thomas coaching us. That is how stupid Doc Rivers was tonight. Instead of using the momentum of the late 3rd quarter run he benches the players getting us the lead and brings in the rookies and Ricky Davis to start the forth quarter.
There is a time for learning the game for the young guys and then there are times you are fighting for home court in the playoffs. Tonight was a night to win.

I knew I gave my tickets away tonight for a reason. I wasn't meant to see this travesty in person.

I never get this upset about a game. I have seen and seen live so many dumb losses by the Celtics (especially the last year and a half) and have never been this mad.

I don't understand why Doc Rivers is the coach.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Quoting myself, because I'm too lazy to make a new argument.

Lanteri said:
Ummmm Doc Rivers isn't a bad coach. We wouldn't even be close to doing as well as have this year if Rivers wasn't coaching. He's not great, but he is certainly not the worst coach in the NBA. This is the same coach that took a team with one star player (Pierce) 3 rookies, a 2nd year guy, and role playing big men and turned them into a .500 basketball team that hustles, and is one of the best offensive teams in the league. The defense needs work, but that's more of a personell issue, rather than a coaching issue. With 3 rookies getting significant PT, and a bunch of guys that weren't asked to play defense (Pierce & Walker) under previous coaching, I'd say he's done a damned good job.

Your out of your darn mind if you thing Doc is the worst coach in the NBA.

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I seem to remember a certain coach getting us to the playoffs last year. Does that mean he is a great coach?

If you think Doc didn't cost us this game tonight then you didn't watch it.

I guess you don't care as much as I do because you don't pay thousands of dollars for tickets to watch him blow games we should have won.
I don't mean to sound all high and mighty because I have season tickets but I am sure you can understand my frustration with what transpired tonight.
Last year I understood what went on as a transition but tonight and this year doesn't get that benefit of the doubt. I really get the impression that Doc wants us to lose games. There is no thyme or reason to the way he sets his rotations at all.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Well can't say we weren't warned by the Magic fans. We wanted a coach who develops players, but I never thought that Doc would go this much into it.

We're way too good to be playing around with that right now.

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
aquaitious said:
Well can't say we weren't warned by the Magic fans. We wanted a coach who develops players, but I never thought that Doc would go this much into it.

We're way too good to be playing around with that right now.
This goes beyond developing players. Consistantly leaving in the rookies to lose games isn't really teaching them how to win. Especially in this case because they keep making the same mistakes over and over again.

Here is a link to a very telling picture.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/050326/483/bxg10503260352

The best players sitting on the bench during the forth quarter, says it all doesn't it.

Doc Rivers does his best Rick Pitino impression every game. I now understand why Pierce just tunes the man out. After awhile can you blame him? This isn't high school. It's the NBA. There is no need to be on the sidelines yelling 100% of the time the players are on the court.
It doesn't work.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I've noticed that this is a trend with Doc Rivers this year. I've read a few comments on this board about Doc sitting out the starters in the majority of the 4th when we have a good lead. Maybe that's why we haven't been able to keep leads very much this season? I don't like it one bit. :curse:

·
Premium Member
8,260 Posts
I don't want to suggest that maybe we're overreacting but, but we're overreacting a bit. Save our playoff hopes? Are you serious? Did y'all notice that we are 7-3 in our last ten? Yeah, we lost the last two, but have you noticed the shoot percentages?

38.3% against the Knicks.
37.3% against the Bulls.

You can have a high power coaching you and you're going to lose games if you're shooting like that. Lets calm ourselves.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Re: FIRE DOC RIVERS NOW!

Save our playoff hopes
Dont Forget You're In The Atlantic Division.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Re: FIRE DOC RIVERS NOW!

Q8i said:
Dont Forget You're In The Atlantic Division.
Yes I know we are in the Atlantic and the West is a harder division, but you cant forget that over here we have Miami questenably the best team in the league, we got Detriot who won the championship last year and the celtics are very good, I do agree that last night wasnt a good coaching or shooting night for the Celtics, but on ESPN they ranked the top 5 teams that has a shot for the championship, and the celtics were one of them!

I dont think you should fire Rivers for 1-2 bad games resently, I mean the coach tells them to do stuff like steal the ball or dont shoot the 3, but guess what in the end they mite end up shooting the 3 and not trying on defense, players play there way most of the time, I bet Rivers didnt tell Reaf to take that 3 at the end cause he didnt make one all night, but guess what he took it even though Doc didnt want him too....in the end, players are players, and coaches are coachs, they dont always agree and follow the same path.

But by the way I dont think Rivers is playing Pierce enough, and hes was playing Perkins too much, even though i like Perkins, he's just giving some players too much playing time, and that cause the starters to not get as much.

·
Registered
610 Posts
As much as I love the celtics..
Id HATE to play for any organization in Boston.
Damn, We lose 2 games and people is ready to fire Rivers..
We only won 36 games the whole entire season last year...
Doc has came in and turned this team into a great Fastbreak team.
If he uses the bench this year. Just think of how much confidence they're coming out with next year.

Doc's a good coach.. People at Boston should praise him for the job he's done.

PdP

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
PhearDaPierce said:
Doc has came in and turned this team into a great Fastbreak team.
No, he didn't.

If he uses the bench this year. Just think of how much confidence they're coming out with next year.
Or he could overplay them and destroy their confidence.

Dude needs to learn how to maximize his players' abilities. He has spent too much time trying to figure out good lineups.

·
Registered
472 Posts
agoo101284 said:
I don't want to suggest that maybe we're overreacting but, but we're overreacting a bit. Save our playoff hopes? Are you serious? Did y'all notice that we are 7-3 in our last ten? Yeah, we lost the last two, but have you noticed the shoot percentages?

38.3% against the Knicks.
37.3% against the Bulls.

You can have a high power coaching you and you're going to lose games if you're shooting like that. Lets calm ourselves.
AMEN!

What did the veterans do to deserve playing over the rookies? Walker, Davis, and especially Pierce have been missing a ton of shots lately, how can you blame Doc for that??? When all three of the top scorers shoot poorly at the same time there's no way this team can win. Walker has been rushing his shot, Pierce has been taking bad shots, and Davis is having shots that are normally money in the bank go half way down then come out. Even Raef has been rushing his shot and has been missing shots he would normall nail. The only players that seem to be taking consistently good shots are Allen, Payton, Banks, and Blount (never thought I'd be praising him for anything!). Doc has been playing Jefferson, Allen, Banks, etc. hoping they can use their energy to get something going and at times it has worked. Unfortunately you can't count on winning games like that. The main thing that Doc did last night that I really questioned was taking Allen out when he put Davis in early in the game instead of putting Davis in for Pierce. Pierce was doing absolutely nothing positive and Allen was cutting through the lane and making the Bulls work on defense.

IMHO, Pierce has played terribly the last too games period. He's been running his mouth way too much and his play hasn't backed it up. He needs to shut up and play! When Doc put him back into the game late in the fourth everyone on the floor, in the stands, and watching on TV knew that once he got the ball he wasn't going to give it up until he shot it. He managed to hit a couple of big shots late, but he also threw up some serious garbage and wasted too much time trying to go one on one (or one on four as it was on one play) instead of seeing which one of his teamates was open.

Anyway, this game shows why I said I'd rather not face they Bulls in the playoffs in the thread on possible first round opponents. They have some good young talent (like the C's), and now they have beaten the C's in Boston without Hinrich. At this point the Bulls are probably hoping to face Boston in the first round because we don't scare them.

This is gut check time for the C's. I don't think they are nearly as good as they played throughout most of February and March, but they are MUCH better than they have played the last two games. They are at the point right now where they could step up and really tear it up the last few games and go into the playoffs on a roll, or they could sulk and whine and get schooled in the first round. I still believe in this team and I still believe in Doc so I'm betting on the C's to suck it up and play like they are capable of playing. The last two games are history, lay them to rest and move on.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
We won 11 out of 12 and everyone thought we were awesome....now we lose 2 in a row and people want to fire the coach! That's just crazy talk as far as I'm concerned. As for Doc playing the young guys, that's fine with me because Paul and Ricky have been TERRIBLE TERRIBLE in the last two games. As for Kendrick getting too many minutes??? He played 6 minutes and played well...he needs more and for that matter so does Marcus Banks, the kid has been TERRIFIC yet he only got 10 min last night.
To me Al seems to have hit the rookie wall, he's the only young guy I see truly struggling right now. I don't know how he's gonna climb over that wall but I hope he does soon. Antoine and Raef have been steady, Tony Allen is doing very well..the problem has been Paul and Ricky not hitting water from a boat yet continuing to shoot. The team shot 19% in the 4th quarter yesterday!
This is just a bump in the road, let's not over react....I mean I hope we all didn't expect them to win every game until the end of the season.

·
Registered
610 Posts
whiterhino you're absolutely correct..
Look at Kentucky for instance.. Ever who watched the UK game last night.
Saw first hand at what it does when you give your bench some confidence..
UK's bench beat Bogut and the rest of Utah.
Hell.. Us Celtic fans have saw first hand of our bench taking over games..
"The lollipop Kids" got it done in a few games...

lol.. Lost 2 in a row and we're all ready to kick Doc out haha.. Still can't get over you selfish fans... Pathetic.

PdP

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
PhearDaPierce said:
whiterhino you're absolutely correct..
Look at Kentucky for instance.. Ever who watched the UK game last night.
Saw first hand at what it does when you give your bench some confidence..
UK's bench beat Bogut and the rest of Utah.
Hell.. Us Celtic fans have saw first hand of our bench taking over games..
"The lollipop Kids" got it done in a few games...

lol.. Lost 2 in a row and we're all ready to kick Doc out haha.. Still can't get over you selfish fans... Pathetic.

PdP
You're missing the point. I don't care if Rivers puts the rookies in in the fourth quarter as long as they are playing well. Rivers takes out the players that are playing well in the fourth quarter in favor of players that are shooting horribly (see: Pierce, Davis). Walker was playing very well only to be benched in the fourth. Say if Tony Allen is on fire for the first three quarters. You leave him in. Doc is still trying to find a rotation, but a good coach would've already had one by the all-star break.

Kentucky's bench is better than Utah's starters sans Bogut.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Point taken..
But just because of one mistake you can't say "FIRE THE GUY"
He's only human ya know ?

PdP

·
Registered
352 Posts
PhearDaPierce said:
Doc's a good coach.. People at Boston should praise him for the job he's done.

Thank you, just cause of one or two games you don't fire a coach that has done a great job this season

·
Banned
40 Posts
Have any of you been watching this team all year.? This isn't a new thing. Doc had this problem in Orlando and he is doing it here in Boston. The guy is a horrible coach. It has nothing to do with Boston, he was worse then this in Orlando and for the record I have never liked Doc as a coach. It has nothing to do with losing two games.

I bet you think Terry Francona is a good manager because the Red Sox won the World series. When in fact we won the world series despite him not because of him. I can't believe how clueless some of you are.

"Great job" Are you being serious? Just wiat till the playoffs when he decides we should have Delonte West running this team over Gary Payton and we bow out in the first round.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
I don't know why this is a discussion. Doc is not a great coach. He's an average coach.

You can't fire him now, nor can you until next season. He needs some time to prove himself, and to show that he's the best .500 coach in the NBA right now.

And please don't keep saying "one mistake" for every thread that has been made about this. If you tally up all the "one mistakes" you'd get like 500 for the whole season.

His substitution patterns suck. Why do you need to play the 2nd unit together? And why can the 1st unit only play together? Why can't you mix in the guys that are playing well and take out the guys that aren't?

Why are you loving Al when he's been awful the past few games, and why are you loving West over Banks when West hasn't done anything save 5/6 games this WHOLE SEASON?

Why are you taking out Banks after one small mistake (taking a 3 on 2 jumper, with the defenders going backwards, which btw is a good shot, not a mistake) and keeping West in after he messes up an 3 on 2 ally oop that had the ball going into the 3rd row of the crowd?

Why in hell's name are you taking out Antoine Walker when he's hot with a few minutes to go? Why are you taking out Tony Allen in the Bulls game when he's playing the best out of everyone and Pierce has done ****?

And my most important question, why in ****s name are you letting Antoine shoot 3s and not benching him for it? This guy is your *****, you can do whatever you please with him. You got one of the most talented passes from the low post and you're letting him shoot 3s. You got one of the best and smartest rebounder in the League and you're letting him stay outside the paint, and you're telling him to guard the other teams point guard on switches.

For Fans sake Doc, start thinking, it would be a great time for it.

:topic: On the Francona topic, yes he's not a great coach, (he's all right, better then Grady :D) BUT he outcoached Torre last year in the playoffs.
He used pinch running, pinch hitting and defensive and offensive subs great, and deserves a lot of credit for that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts