Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rose and Hardaway's all star benefit was slapped together in just 10 days and it sure looked like it. Down on the main floor of the U.C. they had a total of three concession stands open and during the third quarter they ran out of food. There was absolutely no security to speak of inside or out. If you had to go to the bathroom you were guarranteed to return to your seat higher than a kite. I haven't seen so many posse's since the last time I watched How the West Was Won.

During timeouts and between quarters they trotted out different rap groups that nobody ever heard of and we were forced to listen the long version of the only song each group probably knew.

There were halftime activities planned including a three point shooting contest between Hardaway and Rose, but everything was cancelled because the couldn't clear the floor of all the posse's and hookers. Yes, I said hookers. Lets put it this way...there was more exposed flesh wandering around than you'd see on the screen at a Russ Meyer Film Festival.

And here's something I'm going to need an explanation for. One team wore white uniforms and the other team wore black uniforms. Yet on the scoreboard the team names were designated WHITE and DARK. What am I missing here?

As for the game, and I gag at the thought of even describing it as a game, how would you like to be treated to 48 minutes of half assed dunks, missed passes, and botched crossovers? Most of the time players didn't even bother to cross half court to play any kind of defense. At different points during the second half both teams emptied their benches on to the court forcing us to watch a game of eight on eight.

The whole night was a mess and a waste of time. Somebody got cheap and didn't hire any traffic cops to work the intersections after the game. Getting out of there was a nightmare.

I've learned my lesson. Never again will I waste my time on one of these summertime all star classics.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I had a great time. Althought I paid for $10 dollar 3rd level tickets and then last minute got 4 100 level , 10th row tickets for free since I work for the city and did the flyers & banners for the Pep Rally at Maloclm X college.
Anyway I also thought it should've at least been a little more structured as far as the game goes and the entertainment. Maybe next year they will be more prepared. Don't know why they didn't wait til mid-August just to buy more time to organize this event. I got Jalen Rose's autograph on my ticket, he was standing around at halftime across the bench (112-113 section, which was my section) so I ran down and got his autograph!!! I nearly got a T-Shirt from the parachute but this big fat guy grabbed it fromof my friend's hand. she said she was gonna give it to me since I'm such a basketball NUT.

·
Registered
58 Posts
yeah...but at least they didn't run out of beer.

It was hilarious when they trotted out "Suga" a female rapping duo straight outta oak park and everyone booed them because they stunk.

I got my tickets 4 days ago ($35), and sat 2nd row main floor, right near the tunnel where the players came out from. Safe to say it's probably as close as I'll ever get. Got to meet Tim Hardaway, say wassup to JWill, Maggette, and CWebb (and his aluminum shoes).

The game was kinda weak, but it was more in the spirit of fun. I'm sure they raised some good money too. The UC looked more filled than some games during the regular season. The demographics were reversed as well if you know what I mean. Not your normal Bulls crowd. I rode the bus down there, talked with little kids, it was their first UC game, and they were pumped. Hell, I know I couldn't even afford my seats if it was a regular game.

The Matrix scored, what 52 points? And it was cool to see Stephon Marbury and Jay Williams go at each other. Marbury did this crazy thing rolling the ball around on the floor past everyone and then laying it up. Can't really describe it. And then Jay tried to do this crazy crossover around Steph's head...

Sadly there was no Curry, Chandler, or anyone else from the Bulls. I thought that was kind of weak. Besides Rose, Fizer, JWill, and Tim Hardaway (who didn't play), there was also Shawn Marion, Bobby Simmons, CWebb, Juwon howard (who dunked on and knocked down Melvin Ely, that was hilarious), Nazr Mohammed, Michael Finley...ok so it wasn't the biggest names. Travis Best was there in street clothes. Oh yeah, and the celebrity refs were the Hangin' with Mr. Cooper guy and Cedric the Entertainer.

Sad to say Fizer still shot like 40%, there was one point when he stepped out from 16 feet and threw up an airball...flashes of the regular season.

Parts of it were weak, but from where I sat, it was pretty damn cool. I needed a summer hoops fix anyway. At the very least, it was better than the Rocky Mountain game they televised on ESPN. That one gave me an upset stomach.

I hope they do it again next year, but organize it better. All your points were valid, HJ. I might be a little biased though. If I wasn't two rows from the action, I'd probably have a different opinion. I haven't seen any other charity all-star games, so I don't know how they play in those. Definately no D, there were maybe 2 fouls called, and not really an out of bounds either. It would have been nice to see some real competition, but I didn't think that was going to happen anyway. Overall I had a great time. Missed out on the bathroom scene though...

·
Registered
6 Posts
highlights:

-Jay Williams and Stephon Marbury crossin' each other over crazy style.
-"The Matrix"
-"Suga" getting booed.
-da hotties at the UC...I swear, there was one honey that looked like Halle Berry! YUMMIEEEE!!!
-the players interacting with the crowd (I gotta give a shout out to J Rose for making BullsManiac dream come true!)
-me

lowlights:

-Marcus Fizer

J-Lo will be mine...oh yes!...she will.
:yes:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Originally posted by I Love J-Lo
highlights:

-Jay Williams and Stephon Marbury crossin' each other over crazy style.
-"The Matrix"
-"Suga" getting booed.
-da hotties at the UC...I swear, there was one honey that looked like Halle Berry! YUMMIEEEE!!!
-the players interacting with the crowd (I gotta give a shout out to J Rose for making BullsManiac dream come true!)
-me

lowlights:

-Marcus Fizer

J-Lo will be mine...oh yes!...she will.
:yes:

Highlights:
Marbury vs. JWill
The Matrix

Lowlights:
Jesus wasn't in da house!
CWebb's silver sneaks!
TYson, JC & Eddy didn't make it either! But Fizer did!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Even if I had been living in chicago....

Originally posted by gettinbranded
I've been to these before, so I avoided it. HJ's description is just what I expected.
....I do not think I would have gone! But, IF I HAD gone, I am sure I would have left before half of it was over!! LOL....sounds like I would have made the right decision NOT to go Gettinbranded!!!....cept for the Halle Berry part...I must concur...YUMMIE!!! LOL:yes: :grinning: :love:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Jay-Will Vs. Starbury

You say that they were crossing each other over. Who got the better of the match up? I'm wondring because I love Jay but Steph is my 2nd favorite player next to T-Mac

·
Registered
58 Posts
Jwill vs. Starbury

Considering Starbury is one of the kings of playground ball, I'd say Jwill held his own...one thing for sure, the kid is not afraid of anyone! They were doing mainly doing crazy tricks and stuff, not really playing...

Steph had better tricks from years of street ball (he did a move straight out of NBAstreet where he dribbled, dropped to the ground and rolled, picked up his dribble and scored), but JWill came back with this move where I could have sworn he bounced it off Marbury's head...

Considering the turn out, and from the people I was near, I would say it was still a success. They raised money for a good cause, the players looked like they had fun, most of the fans did too. I guess they dropped the ball when it came to spending $$ on staff at the UC, but hey, live and learn.

I hope my seats next year are as good. Maybe I should just stick to negative comments... ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was at the game but I left at half because of prior arrangements (plus it wasn't much of a game). The highlight was definetly the Jay Will vs. Marbury street match up. Jay did the best move I thought where he went around the back of Marbury's head and through Marbury's legs and then spun off and scored. It was great. Watching Marbury dish to Marion was also great. All in all it was a half assed effort at a half assed game.:mad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts