Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Site Founder
15,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kobe has to go.

I have loved the guy for seven+ years, but he is really trying my patience this year.

I can list a thousand reasons, but the biggest one of all is that he hasn't resigned with the team.

The team offered him the max. He turned it down, wanting to be "courted." :rolleyes:

The truth of the matter is, he is already gone. He wants to get away from Jackson, who is about to be extended, and he wants to get away from Shaq, who is also about to be extended. There is no way he stays, so let's decide what we can get for the guy.

Do we want players now, or cap room later?

The thing that has been trying to me the most is he is clearly not a team guy this year. We have Malone and Payton defending the guy nightly from rowdy arenas and idiot fans, yet where is the love from Kobe for these two guys, who sacrificed millions of dollars in an (apparently futile) attempt to get the bling-bling?

I'm sick of this whole Shaq-Kobe situation, and have been for years. It has finally boiled over the top for me. I'm convinced: he's gotta go. :sour:

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately I think Kobe is either clueless about how his trial has affected the mentality and emotions of the Lakers players and organization or is just in denial about it. Not resigning with the team when he was offered the max isn't too big of a deal, I think it's fine that he wants to see who is interested in him this summer. But still, I could have done without this whole trial. For all the bad things Shaq has done and said to Kobe, Jackson and probably a lot of teammates, he has been consistently dominant the past 4 seasons and single handedly brought Karl Malone and Gary Payton to L.A., which a lot of fans love to overlook for whatever reason. Kobe's passion and dedication have been great, and his play has been almost as good as Shaq's the past 4 seasons; but if he bails on the Lakers because he's too stubborn to play within the triangle, screw him. This isn't about maximizing every last ounce of Kobe's ability, it's about the team winning. If the team can win with the tri with Kobe playing to 85% of his ability versus not really playing the tri with Kobe's playing to 100% of his ability, then so be it, Kobe won't consistently play his absolute best. Unfortunately Kobe doesn't want that type of situation, he wants an offense run around him when that makes 0 sense with the most dominant low post 7 footer in the game.

In the end, I just hope Kobe realizes he's never going to win a title for the rest of his career if he leaves L.A. and doesn't sign with one of the top 5 teams in the L. Maybe that'll keep him in L.A. One can dream, no? :(

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Go Fish (Yes, go Fisher)

I would have to agree with Ron on almost all he's said.. I've loved Kobe and everything but he hasnt showed me much this year (Partly because I dont think his mind is even on basketball). Unfortunatly before everyone jumps on me. I dont think Kobe will even be in the NBA next year.. I just dont feel confident in this case. Until I know what happened I wont say anything. Just my thoughts

I just hope Kobe realizes he's never going to win a title for the rest of his career if he leaves L.A. and doesn't sign with one of the top 5 teams in the L. Maybe that'll keep him in L.A. One can dream, no?
Now that could be true and most likely is but what about Shaq if Malone and Payton don't resign (I think Payton would, Malone maybe not)? Would Shaq be able to win a championship without Kobe having George and Cook if those 2 don't come back? Doubt it.

Well I would assume the Lakers would go after a nice free agent, but could they win a championship that way? :confused:

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Now that could be true and most likely is but what about Shaq if Malone and Payton don't resign (I think Payton would, Malone maybe not)? Would Shaq be able to win a championship without Kobe having George and Cook if those 2 don't come back? Doubt it.
If the Lakers lose Kobe and get nothing in return for him (certainly possible, but IMO not probable), the Lakers are an OK playoff team with very little chance of actually winning a title with just Shaq, Malone, Payton, and CBA scrubs. They'd certainly be a good team, just not a title contending one.

Well I would assume the Lakers would go after a nice free agent, but could they win a championship that way? :confused:
If they got Tmac, you bet your azz the Lakers could win a title. Unfortunately, that's probably never going to happen.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
First of all, I agree that Kobe's gonna be outro after this year. It hurts to think about it but I can't see anything happening that would keep him here. Yes, Shaq has been great in past seasons -- and he still is -- but to continue building around a player who's past his prime, extremely injury-prone and generally apathetic about basketball doesn't make sense to me. Shaq has another good 3 seasons in him at best, and to alienate Kobe by telling him to continue to take a back seat to him is gonna be what pushes him away for good.

I'd love for him to stay, but I don't blame him one bit for wanting to see what offers will be on the table for him. He doesn't owe the Lakers a thing.

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
20,601 Posts
It was bound to come to a head, where Shaq and Kobe were going to split ways, its a shame its going to come with Kobes legal situations as well... I think mentally leaving Los Angeles and the Lakers will help Kobe refocus on basketball, and not have to worry about Phil or Shaq riding him... Kobe could focus on making the team better, helping them win, not being in fights wtith Shaq... i wonder who are free agents next year...

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ron</b>!
I can list a thousand reasons, but the biggest one of all is that he hasn't resigned with the team. The team offered him the max. He turned it down, wanting to be "courted." :rolleyes:
First, please give me another of your thousand reason's as to way Kobe has to go. Second, Kobe can make more money by opting out can't he? His refusing the extension does not mean anything.

The truth of the matter is, he is already gone. He wants to get away from Jackson, who is about to be extended, and he wants to get away from Shaq, who is also about to be extended. There is no way he stays, so let's decide what we can get for the guy.
How do you know that Jackson and Shaq are going to be extended? Jackson has had heart problems, and if he wins the title this year, he will have coached the most titles, so I could easily see him retiring. And if Jackson retires, won't Shaq retire? That's what he has been saying all along.

Do we want players now, or cap room later?
We will never get equal value for Kobe in a trade, and if we let him walk, we will still be way over the cap. No win situation, unless we re-sign him.

The thing that has been trying to me the most is he is clearly not a team guy this year. We have Malone and Payton defending the guy nightly from rowdy arenas and idiot fans, yet where is the love from Kobe for these two guys, who sacrificed millions of dollars in an (apparently futile) attempt to get the bling-bling?
Kobe has had a lot of non-basketball issues to deal with, so I think you are being a little harsh. And second, how do you know that Kobe doesn't appreciate Malone and Payton? You don't know what he has said to them. Karl and Gary both have said they consider Kobe a friend, and they appear to have a good relationsip on tv, so I'm sure Kobe appreciates them even if he doesn't say it publicly.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
I think you guys are on crack.

I think there is about a 3% chance we wont see Kobe in a Laker Uni next season

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
The truth is that we should have gotten rid of Shaq last year, but no GM is going to have the balls to do that, so I don't blame Mitch

Shaq is sucking up all the salary cap and wants a even more bloated contract despite a rapidly decling game, especially on the defensive end, and in terms of all around effort

However, I think there is a high chance Kobe is back, if he isn't, the Lakers with be a 2nd round playoff team probably next season if they are lucky

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Originally posted by <b>KennethTo</b>!
The truth is that we should have gotten rid of Shaq last year, but no GM is going to have the balls to do that, so I don't blame Mitch

Shaq is sucking up all the salary cap and wants a even more bloated contract despite a rapidly decling game, especially on the defensive end, and in terms of all around effort

However, I think there is a high chance Kobe is back, if he isn't, the Lakers with be a 2nd round playoff team probably next season if they are lucky
I'm all for keeping Shaq as long as he doesn't get an extension. At his current salary we're likely going to be taking back as many bad contracts as we're giving away if we trade him. As long as we build for the future, Shaq isn't a bad player to have. He'll just do his thing while we build the team around Kobe. If it came down to dealing one or the other I'd probably deal Shaq because of his age, cap figure, and lack of durability. However, I think we'll be able to win another ring or two with this quartet of players.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts