Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You may post links to appropriate articles in your posts, but you cannot post the articles in their entirety. You can quote from the articles, but do so sparingly. Remember, you agree in the Terms of Use to be held legally responsible for your own posts on BasketballBoards.net. Always credit the source when quoting from an article.

thanks for the article but as you can see, our policy is to not allow full articles to be posted. I will post the link. truebluefan

http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-bull29.html

·
Registered
153 Posts
I wonder if the Bulls management unhappiness with JC's summer training will lead to his eventual trade? It may explain why his extension hasn't yet been signed.

Should make for an interesting training camp.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks truebluefan

Ralsfan there is no advantage to managment to sign JC or Fizer early. Krause will hold his cards as long as possible.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Is this raising or lowering the bar?

"This is a building year,'' Cart-wright said. "I'm speaking of Eddy [Curry] and Tyson [Chand-ler]. If we can make the same strides with them that we did last year as far as growth, we'll really have a couple of outstanding players. That's our goal.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RealFan</b>!
I wonder if the Bulls management unhappiness with JC's summer training will lead to his eventual trade? It may explain why his extension hasn't yet been signed.

Should make for an interesting training camp.
You'll find that I posted this statement back on 9/7:

As for why I'd rather trade Crawford..., my peeps tell me Crawford copped an attitude as far back as the Rocky Mountain Review. He resents Williams' presence on the team. He hasn't worked out with the other young guys at Berto almost all summer, choosing instead to spend the summer in Seattle. Even his teamates have grown tired of his immature response to the draft selection of Jay Williams and some fear he's turning into a head case.

http://www.basketballboards.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6488&highlight=Crawford

Now, 22 days later, Modrowski comes up with this revelation:

While Williams was playing for Team USA in the World Basketball Championship, Crawford either was working out in his native Seattle or playing with Michael Jordan at Hoops the Gym for much of the summer. The rest of his teammates worked out together at the Berto Center. Bulls management was not happy.

Truthfully, saying that "Bulls management was not happy" is an understatement. If Brunson and/or Overton show that they're still capable players, or if another solid PG is made available during the preseason, Crawford may find himself relocating to another NBA city via a trade. He's turned out to be a real brat with a very fragile ego. Who needs those kinds of headaches? Not Bill Cartwright, I'm sure.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BCH</b>!
If I recall correctly, Rose was not their either.
Not at Berto? If that's what you mean, you're correct. However, the Bulls are very happy with Jalen and out of respect for him as an accomplished veteran, Krause left him to his own devices this summer. Rest asured that whatever training regimin Jalen undertook over the summer, he did so with Krause's blessing. Jalen's absence from Berto this summer is a non-issue in management's eyes.:sleep:

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
I am not saying it was an issue, but it is a bit of a double standard.

I am not sure why they would necessarily be pissed at Crawford, who was playing at Hoops, just as it seems Jalen has recently (what happened to Krause's ban on Hoops>).

I could understand an argument that maybe Crawford has not worked out at all, but the guy showed considerable work ethic in returning from a torn ACL well ahead of schedule.

If the argument is going to be he needs to develop with his teammates then Rose has no business not being their either.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I am not saying it was an issue, but it is a bit of a double standard.

I am not sure why they would necessarily be pissed at Crawford, who was playing at Hoops, just as it seems Jalen has recently (what happened to Krause's ban on Hoops>).

I could understand an argument that maybe Crawford has not worked out at all, but the guy showed considerable work ethic in returning from a torn ACL well ahead of schedule.

If the argument is going to be he needs to develop with his teammates then Rose has no business not being their either.
It's really not a double standard. You see, much of a young player's agenda during the summer has to do with conditioning and individual tutilage. While there are daily pick-up games to be sure, the real reason Crawford should have spent more time at Berto was because, as Cartwright puts it, "We wanted Jamal here. The big thing for Jamal this summer was to get down here and work out and get stronger.''

Again, as a 30 year old veteran who performs at a high level year after year, the Bulls trust that by now Jalen Rose knows how to prepare himself for the coming season. But it's a much different story for players like Jamal, Tyson, Eddy and Trent and some of the other young guys. They are still developing, and in some cases, still growing. If anyone needed to prepare his body for the rigors of an 82 game schedule by getting physically stronger, it was Jamal Crawford.

Let me give you another quick example of what summer workouts are really all about. Eddie Robinson has been a workout warrior this summer at Berto. Yet he works out so early in the day that he's usually headed out the Berto doorways as other players are just arriving. And while he's been there all summer working out faithfully, he just started playing in pick-up games a few days ago. As a rehabbing player (you might consider Crawford a "rehabbing player" as well) Robinson made a committment this summer to do everything in his power to make sure his body doesn't break down during the season. Has Crawford made the same committment, or is he more interested in playing pickup games wherever he can find them? One can only hope he took care of business in Seattle.

For more insight, check out today's Sun-Times article:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-bull30.html

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
It raises the point of voluntary workouts yet again. I am glad Williams and Rose had reasons to be "excused" from voluntary workouts at the Berto.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
It raises the point of voluntary workouts yet again. I am glad Williams and Rose had reasons to be "excused" from voluntary workouts at the Berto.
Err, what exactly do the quotes around excused mean?

And for comparison, as far as I know, other teams don't typically have their veteran (several years in the league) players all working out with the kids at this point during the off-season.

With Crawford, I can understand the issue. He's missed time due to injury, isn't an established player, and is fighting for a job. Rose has none of those issues.

While it'd be nice if the whole team was there working out, it's my understanding that that's not how the NBA works. Vets generally aren't around until camp starts. Even then, they might be late if they're Latrell Spreewell and they have car trouble.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
The word "excused" implies that the workouts were not necessarily voluntary.

I don't think it was necessary for Crawford to be at the Berto this offseason. He has proven his work ethic. I understand the desire from the coaches, but to publicly question him, as Cartwright has done, might not be the best way to handle it.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Got it... I was confusing your stance on Rose and Crawford. I agree that it appears the voluntary workouts were in fact, not that voluntary regarding Crawford.

Such is life though. This seems to be a problem with most every pro sports team at some point. They'd like to see someone show... and he doesn't show.

I agree that publically calling him out may not be the way to go (especially with Crawford, who appears to be a bit over-sensitive), but to give Mr. Bill the benefit of the doubt, the Bulls do appear to have kept things quiet the whole summer, even though they have been less than happy with Jamal not showing up. Perhaps this change in tactics is due to the fact that saying nothing didn't help?

No matter the exact details though, I think it's fair to say that with direct quotes from the Bulls coach saying they wanted Jamal there, the "media fabrication" theory doesn't hold a lot of water.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts