Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this from the Bulls forum if anyone wants to check it out.

Originally posted by <b>unBULLievable</b>!
Clippers: Should Marcus Fizer stay in Los Angeles after the Bulls play the Clippers on Tuesday? The agent for the little-used forward has been talking to teams about a trade, reportedly with the Bulls' permission.

The Clippers believe they have a chance to sign Kobe Bryant when he becomes a free agent this summer and are looking to clear salary-cap space with expiring contracts. Though owner Donald Sterling often is criticized for not spending money, associates say he'll spend it for a star, especially a Laker such as Bryant. And Fizer becomes a free agent after the season.

One player the Clippers are trying to deal is 6-foot-11-inch Melvin Ely, who has fallen out of the rotation and has played in only one of the last five games. "Right now, Mel's not a guy who is in the top of the rotation," coach Mike Dunleavy said. "We have [Elton] Brand, [Chris] Kaman, [Chris] Wilcox and [Peja] Drobnjak."

Said Ely: "A change of venue for me wouldn't matter. I'm not going to just accept that I'm in the league and I get paid a whole lot of money and be fine with that. I'm trying to be the best at my position."

You've got to like an NBA guy who says "change of venue." The Harvey native could be a good tandem with Eddy Curry, also of Harvey. The Clippers also are said to be willing to part with combo guard Marko Jaric, who has another year on his deal

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-040126smithonbulls,1,4129148.column?coll=cs-home-headlines
Bulls Forum on BBB.net

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I'm prob the only Clipps fan on the board's that's not over joyed about all the Kobe theories.. It's kinda funny to me, that were even entertaining the idea.. I know I'm not telling ya'll anything you don't know already.. When I say that, Fizer's not a fit on this team, now or in the future!

·
Premium Member
8,261 Posts
I do know that the Clippers have made a few baffling moves in the past, but this one would take the cake. From what I understand, Ely is going without minutes because of Brand, Wilcox, Kaman, and Drobnjak ahead of him at PF and C. To fix that, they're going to take him and the starting point guard, Jaric, and send them to Chicago for another PF?

You can make a bad deal that rosterwise, makes sense and use that as reasoning. This deal though, is just stupid.

Also, were I a Clipper fan, I wouldn't be thrilled with the Kobe theories either. Resign Q-Rich long term and you'll have four good players in place (Kaman, Brand, Maggette, Richardson) to cover the 2-5 positions. If Jaric continues to develop, or the Clips spend money on a distributing point guard, you'd be better off than with Kobe.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Also, were I a Clipper fan, I wouldn't be thrilled with the Kobe theories either. Resign Q-Rich long term and you'll have four good players in place (Kaman, Brand, Maggette, Richardson) to cover the 2-5 positions. If Jaric continues to develop, or the Clips spend money on a distributing point guard, you'd be better off than with Kobe.
So True!.. I was wondering if I was alone in my thought's about the situation.. I guess not, huh?

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>agoo101284</b>!
If they resign Q-Rich, in the future that will hinder their ability to sign a FA pg. So with that, would you rather sign Kobe and draft a PG, or would you like to resign Q-Rich and draft a pg?

-Petey

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
How would signing Q hinder the clips ability to sign a point, the clips have tons of cap space. I really dont like Kobe and dont think he would fit with this team. So the clips should sign Q and with the rest of the money sign a point.

·
Premium Member
8,261 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Petey</b>!

If they resign Q-Rich, in the future that will hinder their ability to sign a FA pg. So with that, would you rather sign Kobe and draft a PG, or would you like to resign Q-Rich and draft a pg?

-Petey
First off, you don't have to give Q-Rich a max contract. Resign him and draft a PG (Jameer Nelson will likely be available to them). If they resign Q-Rich to the same deal they got Maggette for, they'd still have enough money to sign a free agent for over the MLE. I know this isn't the best FA class of all time, but short of Wallace and Kobe, they would have the money to get whoever they wanted.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by <b>Natty Dreadlockz</b>!
I'm prob the only Clipps fan on the board's that's not over joyed about all the Kobe theories.. It's kinda funny to me, that were even entertaining the idea.. I know I'm not telling ya'll anything you don't know already.. When I say that, Fizer's not a fit on this team, now or in the future!
Firstly, I never said I was happy about this possible trade. Secondly, if we are going to package Jaric and Ely, we should at least get a PG in return.
Thirdly, I am not getting my hopes up of Kobe coming to the Clippers.
First off, you don't have to give Q-Rich a max contract. Resign him and draft a PG (Jameer Nelson will likely be available to them). If they resign Q-Rich to the same deal they got Maggette for, they'd still have enough money to sign a free agent for over the MLE. I know this isn't the best FA class of all time, but short of Wallace and Kobe, they would have the money to get whoever they wanted.
That sounds good.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>agoo101284</b>!
With their cap holds, and draft pick cap holds, if the Clippers gave Q-Rich the same amount of money Maggette got last year, they would not have more then the MLE to spend. In fact they would be below the salary cap, but not to the point of what the MLE is so then they would get the MLE to spend.

-Petey

1 - 9 of 9 Posts