Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Sun times:

"He reminds me of myself,'' said power forward Marcus Fizer, whose dimensions are similar to Baxter's. "People say we're too small, but he works hard every day in practice, and it's starting to pay off. It's nice to have another guy like me in the league.''

Yeah, too bad he is a cheaper, better rebounding, more effort, less black hole player on the same team, making you more expendable.

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-bull21.html

here's the link

Fizer's allusion to their similarity is only in their similar abilities to do well given somewhat short yet wide and strong bodies.

But their games don't resemble each other's. Fizer is turning into a tweener that can't board. He has good scoring abilities in a lot of different ways. His rebounding will improve, I'm sure, as he begins to understand how to use his power and quickness, but he'll never be that "natural" rebounder and defensive playmaker that people demand from an elite player.

Baxter is a solid player, a strong rebounder, and showed a lot of offensive ability. I don't think teams are underestimating him that much...

My prediction: Baxter's strong play will demand minutes, but may also possibly push Fizer to elevate his level of play. This allows Chandler to switch to C for some spot minutes to make room for 3 Pf's, or it increases Marcus's trade value.

Either way, it's looking very good with Lonny Baxter. I was sorely disappointed earlier on when I heard that he was considering Europe over the Bulls.

I think we're going to see how much of a coach BC is by looking at the situation at PF. If Fizer stays in even when the Bulls are obviously losing games on the boards, and Chandler needs to be out of the PF spot (foul trouble, winded, or shifted over to C), then we would expect Baxter to go in and play wise minutes. But if Krause is looking to showcase Fizer for a trade, then he'll be left in.

·
Registered
936 Posts
"He reminds me of myself,'' said power forward Marcus Fizer, whose dimensions are similar to Baxter's. "People say we're too small, but he works hard every day in practice, and it's starting to pay off. It's nice to have another guy like me in the league.''

Sounds to me like Marcus is whistling past the graveyard. Mix in a touch of false bravado and what do you have? How about a player who's very aware he's not getting the job done on the court. In a very round about way he's made his lack of height an excuse for his lack of productivity by pointing it out analogously.

The sad part is, while he's admitting to his ineptitude on the court, he'd also have us believe it isn't his fault (though he works so hard, you can't blame him for being too small). That tells me he doesn't have a clue as to what it's going to take to get any better.

My reaction... :boohoo:

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Fizer averaged 5.6 rebounds/game in 25.1 minutes per game last season. I don't find those to be terrible numbers.

Granted, the numbers don't tell the whole story, but I am curious as to where the notion he doesn't rebound comes from.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Showtyme,
Are you aware that we have a Donyell Marshall on our team? He's going to get minutes at the PF spot as well. Of course that all depends on whether or not he's healthy. Other than this one point, I agree with your analysis. I believe that Baxter will prove himself a greater asset on the court than Fizer, making Fizer all the more expendable. The only reason to keep him around is as trade bate for a larger deal involving possible JC or EROb. This is not to say that Fizer can't play significant minutes on another team. I just doing fell like he fits the chemistry of our team, especially if Baxter continues to come on strong. In many ways Baxter's offensive skills are underrated. I think he's actually got a quick driving move to the basket. Actually I know he does, because I saw him do it at the RMR. Point is, that he's got enough quickness to his size to make some things happen. And from what I hear from his defense against Garnett tonight, it sounds like he might become a defensive stopper (given time).

-SuS

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
Hey, SUS...

Sorry about overlooking Marshall. Everyone says he'll get a lot of minutes at PF, but i've never thought of him as one... just because he's our team's best rebounder, doesn't really qualify him as a PF. I didn't want to create a logjam, but you're right, BC has said he might get minutes there...

That being said, I think Marshall should play the least amount of PF minutes as possible. As much as Fizer and Baxter are undersized, they are both as wide and strong as Marshall, if not more so.

It makes sense to use Marshall primarily at SF, in tandem with Robinson. Rose is going to get primary minutes at SG and he needs to be on the court as much as possible.

Baxter is too good to stay on the bench for a very long time, IMO.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
baxter can be cut if krause wanted to cut him, lonny is playing for a job, he HAS to play like he did against the clippers, or else he goes to europe, baxter isnt a better rebounder then fizer, or he hasnt proved it yet, thats like saying ron artest is better then jalen rose after a near quadruple double he had last year, it was only one game, dont be so naive guys

besides, fizer averaged 5.6 rebounds in only 26 minutes last year, not to shabby huh?

dont forget his 7 rebounds in only 15 minutes tonight, but then again, it was only one game

·
Registered
481 Posts
Fizer played well tonight. For once, he didn't seem too selfish. If he keeps focusing on the little things Bill wants, he'll be all right. Cause you know offensively, he'll get some opportunities, even without looking for them.

I still prefer Baxter though.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Originally posted by <b>laso</b>!
Fizer played well tonight. For once, he didn't seem too selfish. If he keeps focusing on the little things Bill wants, he'll be all right. Cause you know offensively, he'll get some opportunities, even without looking for them.

I still prefer Baxter though.
if fizer can find his role, then im all for keeping the guy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts