Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read this article
http://www.slamonline.com/magazine/features/kandiman/

The guy has only been playing basketball for a couple of years. I'ts ridiculous to say things like Eddie Curry is better. Kandi is probably the second or third best center in the league after playing for only a few years. All the guys he's compared to were playing ball before they could walk! Yeah imagine going into your first year of college having never played ball and don't even know the rules and trying out for the team! You wouldn't last 2 minutes.

The only thing I question is his motivation, he enjoys other things in life and not just winning on the basketball court. I think that could lead to contentment on his part from say ..just making the playoffs.

But I think if he really dedicated himself to ball he would be considered by everyone the second best center in the league and maybe even hold his own against Shaq more often than not.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I am not a Kandi hater. I think he is an all right player just not for #1 pick. I won't believe the hype until I see results to justify it.
Kandi has potential to be the #2 center in the league but he isn't there yet. Last year he wasn't top 10 in any category. He was between 10-16 in 6 blocked shot and rebounding categories. He was inconsistant. On Mar 25th he put up 26/17 against the Spurs. A week later against the Jazz, who have a weak C and with who they were competing against for the final playoff spot, he put up 7/7. This was not a one time occurance. To be the #2 C in the league you must be in the top 10 for sure and IMO in the top 5 in rebounding and blockshots, have a better offensive game and be much more consistant.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I'm so tired of people calling people so and so haters. Thats such an overused phrase. Kind of off topic, but its really getting to me.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by <b>tenkev</b>!
I'm so tired of people calling people so and so haters. Thats such an overused phrase. Kind of off topic, but its really getting to me.
I know but I didn't know what other phrase to use?:confused:

·
Registered
13,950 Posts
i don't question kandi's ability to be a good player but i also question his motivation. i think he is in it just for the money. the only time he played good basketball was the second half of the season that his contract ended. then he demanded way too much money from the clippers. i expect him to have a good year this year(or maybe just the second half of the year) so he can get a big contract. once he is making tons of money the lucky team that signed him will get an overpaid unmotivated 7 footer. and those don't help win many games. if i am wrong and he is motivated to be a good basketball player then he can be and be one of the best centers in the nba for a few years while other guys develop or come out of high school. if motivated he can be top 2-3 now and in about 5 years i could see him as about 5th best.

·
Registered
452 Posts
There was once was a player who had the same type of ability that the Kandi man had, played on the same coast, and had the same type of mentality.

Peter Vescey used to call him "Joe Barely Cares"

I see a lot Joe Barry Carroll in Kandi.

No way in hell would I give him anything close to the max.

Hitman

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
wasnt cato supposed to be the next big thing at center but ended up being overpaid? im not sure, can someone help me out here :|

·
Registered
13,950 Posts
yeah cato was supposed to be really good. and he could if he cared. same with dampier and i bet it will be the same with kandi after this year.(this year he still has money to play for) but cato actually could be an important contributer for the rockets this year as a backup center. maybe having ming will get him to work hard and fulfill some of his potential. but probably not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts