Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having a discussion about prospective additions to the C7, and mentioned adding either school for the growing central/southern Virginia market. Others thought Georgetown would already bring that market. My question, do the Hoyas get much tv, radio or print coverage in the Richmond area?

·
Registered
840 Posts
I was having a discussion about prospective additions to the C7, and mentioned adding either school for the growing central/southern Virginia market. Others thought Georgetown would already bring that market. My question, do the Hoyas get much tv, radio or print coverage in the Richmond area?
They get nothing more than a blurb in the paper and typically only if they are ranked. You don't hear them on the radio or see them on tv unless they are on one of the networks.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Georgetown doesn't register much in Richmond. Virginia Tech and UVA do, but not Georgetown.

·
Resident Arachnid of the MPT
21,701 Posts
Ya I'd say Georgetown only gets the perfunctory attention that any ranked team on the East Coast would get. Richmond college sports coverage is dominated by the ACC. Maryland gets significantly more coverage than Georgetown by virtue of being in the ACC.

VCU and Richmond are competing primarily with VT and UVA for coverage. I think being in the same conference has helped. Though it runs counter to logic being used in realignment, I believe VCU and Richmond are most valuable when they are in the same conference. This is why I have to come to accept and even embrace VCU's presence in the A-10. Some may recall that I was not an early fan of their invite.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
... Though it runs counter to logic being used in realignment, I believe VCU and Richmond are most valuable when they are in the same conference. ...
Having lived in Durham, NC for fifteen years this is no surprise to me. I get very angry that BC/UConn/UMass can't be in the same conference when, in fact, it would almost certainly benefit all of them.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
The "city" yes, the "University" no. They along with Nova are our best chances at advocates in the C7.

But to answer your question, the only DC area sports team that gets coverage in the Richmond metro area is the Redskins.

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
I think the problem with VCU getting an invite is that they are a public school. Nothing against them or public schools, but there is a lot of information that public schools are required by law to provide that private schools don't have to. If every school in the league is private, there is a lot of internal discussions that will never have to be revealed to anyone.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I think the problem with VCU getting an invite is that they are a public school. Nothing against them or public schools, but there is a lot of information that public schools are required by law to provide that private schools don't have to. If every school in the league is private, there is a lot of internal discussions that will never have to be revealed to anyone.
That is very true. Most Catholic organizations feel that they shouldn't have to be held accountable to the public.

·
6,341 Posts
The "city" yes, the "University" no. They along with Nova are our best chances at advocates in the C7.

But to answer your question, the only DC area sports team that gets coverage in the Richmond metro area is the Redskins.
not a baseball fan?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think the answer to the original poster's question is VCU gets more coverage, but that may just be because of the recent NCAA tournament.

I at first thought a C7 wouldn't ever extend an invite to a school that lacked soccer and had too small an enrollment. However, Richmond's dabbling in I-AA footy and men's lacrosse, two sports that most of the C7 are players in, means it is not yet out of the question. I still think there are a lot of earlier calls to make before Richmond would ever be considered. Xavier, Butler and UMass, plus Dayton all seem like they have more national appeal for the C7, to name just a few from our conference.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Georgetown doesn't get much run in Richmond, but that doesn't mean either VCU or Richmond are likely to get picked. There are bigger markets to be had if that's the biggest factor. SLU comes to mind.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the feedback. I had a hard time believing Georgetown was a factor in the Richmond area. I agree their are bigger markets, but the central/southern area of VA is growing. Thought both schools would be attractive especially Richmond because like Butler it is private and non-catholic.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That is the most insightful thing I have read on why VCU or another public might me excluded. Excellent point.

A more important question is, does Georgetown get you northern Virginia or Maryland? I say no.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
I think if the conferences go beyond 12 either to 14 or 16 Richmond is in the conversation.

I don't think they sniff it if it's at 10 or 12 which is what's being rumored. I don't think VCU is all that likely either since quality basketball is not the primary concern and more institutional profile and fit. Pete Thamel's article seems to imply we're a candidate, but I don't see it ultimately happening.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts