Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the INHD NBATV HD showing of tonights game blacked out in your area? It seems comcast has chosen to black out the game and try to force me to get NBALP. That's ****ed up. I think I just bought into the idea of satellite.

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
The Krakken said:
Is the INHD NBATV HD showing of tonights game blacked out in your area? It seems comcast has chosen to black out the game and try to force me to get NBALP. That's ****ed up. I think I just bought into the idea of satellite.
NBATVHD is out here in Vegas, too (blank screen) and I paid for NBALP.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DaBullz said:
NBATVHD is out here in Vegas, too (blank screen) and I paid for NBALP.
Are you on comcast?

I think Comcast intentionally did it. I called customer service and she gave me some bull**** story about how they now blackout NBA games, because its PPV. That has to be a violation of FCC regulations is it not? I mean, damn, I pay for HDTV, because I know that they play ALOT of bulls games on InHD. I should NOT have to pay twice just to watch one ****ing game.

I'm canceling.

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
I have Comcast HD in the Chicago area, and it's blacked out on the INHD channel here as well.

Of course here I get the game on Comcast Sports Net, but since they don't show road games in high def, I'm just missing out on the high def broadcast.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
No matter if you have satellite or cable, if you get Comcast Sports Net Chicago as your local sports channel, NBA TV was going to be blacked out. I have Comcast HD, and every other inHD/NBATV game shows up fine. I don't like Comcast, but this wasn't their fault, it's the NBA's stupid rules. I don't know as much about the NBA's TV rules, but that's how MLB does it, and I'd assume the NBA is the same (with football being unique)

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
I have LP through DirecTVand I couldn't get either of the LA games last night -- GS/Clips and then Bulls/Lakers blacked out.

Spent 40 minutes on the phone with customer service and two different reps -- neither of whom had any answer as to why I couldn't get the games.

I did manage to get my HBO subscription discounted by $10/month for 6 months for my trouble, though.

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
spongyfungy said:
Why would Comcast black it out? Is NBATVHD different from INHD channel?

krakken, where do you live?
Here in Vegas, NBATV is digital but not High Def. They sometimes show NBATVHD on INHD... INHD is like a smorgasboard of HD programming - stuff like PBS-like documentaries to movies in HD to sports (they show the Padres games in HD on INHD here during the season).

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
BullSoxChicagosFinest said:
No matter if you have satellite or cable, if you get Comcast Sports Net Chicago as your local sports channel, NBA TV was going to be blacked out. I have Comcast HD, and every other inHD/NBATV game shows up fine. I don't like Comcast, but this wasn't their fault, it's the NBA's stupid rules. I don't know as much about the NBA's TV rules, but that's how MLB does it, and I'd assume the NBA is the same (with football being unique)
This makes no sense. The game was in LA, and blackout rules are typically in force when the game is at home and it isn't sold out.

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
DaBullz said:
This makes no sense. The game was in LA, and blackout rules are typically in force when the game is at home and it isn't sold out.
Correct. I was blacked out and CSN Chicago is not my local sports feed. As I explained several times to the customer service reps, I am 2,500 miles from LA. Even if I leave now, I'm not going to be able to catch the game.

There was no reason for the game to be not broadcast.

Another odd thing was the Golden State/Clippers game showed up with a "channel not purchased" message, while the Bulls/Lakers game showed a "not available in your area" (blackout) message.

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
DaBullz said:
I think he was talking about if you live in chicago. Blackout rules apply for both and away teams.
If the local station does not broadcast the game, the blackout rule does not have to apply.

blackouts restrictions due to ticket selling out applies to only the NFL.

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Blackout rules according to DirecTV:

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr><td colspan="3">

</td></tr><tr><td width="15">
</td><td class="textdarkbluebold12" valign="top" width="21">Q:</td><td class="textdarkbluebold12" valign="top">How do blackouts work?</td></tr><tr><td>
</td><td class="textdarkblue12" valign="top" width="21">A:</td><td class="textdarkblue12" valign="top">
NATIONAL RIGHTS

If a national broadcasting service such as ABC, NBC, CBS or FOX has the national rights to broadcast an NBA, NHL<sup>®</sup> or Major League Baseball<sup>®</sup> game, customers may or may not be able to receive that game through their DIRECTV subscription(s), depending on the local market in which they live. If a service that DIRECTV carries -- such as ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, TBS or USA Network -- has the national rights to broadcast a game, subscribers will be able to receive it through their programming package, although some of these games are also subject to blackouts. Regional sports networks do not obtain national broadcast rights to professional sports.

LOCAL RIGHTS

If a local off-air broadcast channel (not ABC, NBC, CBS or FOX) or local cable system has the rights to broadcast a pro game in a certain region, customers in that area will be unable to receive that game through their DIRECTV<sup>®</sup> subscription(s). If a regional sports network that DIRECTV carries has the local rights to broadcast a game, customers within the region can receive that game through any DIRECTV<sup>®</sup> TOTAL CHOICE<sup>®</sup> or SPORTS Pack subscription, which includes customers' local regional sports network(s). Customers outside of the region will receive that game through the appropriate out-of-market pro sports subscription.

Click here to find out what your local regional sports networks are and which pro teams can be viewed on those channels.

</td></tr><tr><td width="15">
</td><td class="textdarkbluebold12" valign="top" width="21">Q:</td><td class="textdarkbluebold12" valign="top">Why do blackouts exist?</td></tr><tr><td>
</td><td class="textdarkblue12" valign="top" width="21">A:</td><td class="textdarkblue12" valign="top">Sports blackouts are a factor in every programming distribution service. Blackouts are determined primarily according to who has the rights to broadcast a given game in a given area, and are defined by the leagues.

DIRECTV does not arbitrarily institute game blackouts, but simply follows the restrictions set forth by the various sports leagues or by their rights holders, such as ESPN and TNT.</td></tr></tbody> </table>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts