Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A10 fans, there are interested parties in the Fordham Community curious about opinions away from the institution, so here is the question; given our history with the conference, current facilities and stated level of commitment, do you believe Fordham can compete in the A10?

Thank you for the feedback in advance.....

·
Banned
5,541 Posts

No.

·
Banned
335 Posts
It'll be a much more tenable conference for Fordham in a couple years.

Siena as one of the replacements for Temple/Xavier/Butler/et al should make it logistically more suited too

·
Registered
563 Posts
A-10 fans no one in the Fordham community cares about what some internet posters think whether they are on this board or the Fordham board for that matter.

Keep fishing Ramram. :whoosh:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It'll be a much more tenable conference for Fordham in a couple years.

Siena as one of the replacements for Temple/Xavier/Butler/et al should make it logistically more suited too
Good point and consistent with what I am hearing in discussions with people on campus. The most logical option for now, but things can change quickly - and still hearing the patriot League is in play. Good luck with your conference schedule.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Siena is a good choice no doubt, regardless of our future participation in the A10, additional schools like IONA, Hofstra and Fairfield could really generate interest in the NY Metro area.

One thing that has always been lacking in the A10 (and this has been true on the PL side for us also) is a traditional basketball rivalry. You have to go back 30 years to find one, our MAAC days.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
You mean a traditional rival for Fordham. St John's would be a natural, if only you could elevate your program to something approximating their level.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You mean a traditional rival for Fordham. St John's would be a natural, if only you could elevate your program to something approximating their level.
You are correct, but it would generate a lot of interest in this TV market.

As far as St. John's we have never competed with them, they have owned the City for 80 years - except the one year that Digger Phelps was the HC - but that is 40 years ago now.

·
Registered
563 Posts
A-10 fans do you think Fordham will have a better basketball program if we dropped football and put that 6 million a year towards our basketball budget? Wouldn't that be a better choice for Fordham as opposed to moving all sports to the Patriot League given the fact that FCS football provides nothing in terms of national recognition for Fordham? Is putting money into an FCS football program worth it if it holds back an A-10 basketball program?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
A10 fans, there are interested parties in the Fordham Community curious about opinions away from the institution, so here is the question; given our history with the conference, current facilities and stated level of commitment, do you believe Fordham can compete in the A10?

Thank you for the feedback in advance.....
Who in their right mind would answer yes to your question? Obviously something needs to change for us to compete consistently.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
A-10 fans do you think Fordham will have a better basketball program if we dropped football and put that 6 million a year towards our basketball budget? Wouldn't that be a better choice for Fordham as opposed to moving all sports to the Patriot League given the fact that FCS football provides nothing in terms of national recognition for Fordham? Is putting money into an FCS football program worth it if it holds back an A-10 basketball program?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Of course! I've never really seen the point of these schools trying to play football. As for whether Fordham can compete without a better facility, not consistently. Could they get lucky, and hire a young coach who is destined to become a legend, sure. Could they recruit a 6' 5" kid, who shows up the next fall 6"10", like Navy did with David Robinson? It happens, but you can't count on that. Even if they struck gold, they would be hard pressed to build on it, as the coach would get snapped up, and all of the problems would be there for the next coach. If the money was there, is there enough room to build a decent facility (6,000 seats), on the site of Rose Hill? They would have to play at Barclay's for one season while Rose Hill is demolished, and rebuilt. Fordham spends enough that they should at least be mid level in the A10, with the occasional 20+ win season. It's got to be the facilities that are killing them. I'm really going to be curious as to whether the lack of facilities will kill certain teams in the C7. Georgetown in particular, has possibly the worst facilities of any high level team in D1. Can they continue to draw enough with a diminished schedule, to be able to afford the high rent they pay to play in a pro arena?

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Fordham could build a new facility without demolishing the RHG. The reason we do not have a facility is not money or space, it is that it is not a priority for the administration.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
While I would have no real problem with adding Siena should we lose all of our Midwestern teams, and need to add a few to get back to 12, under no circumstances should we consider adding Iona, Hofstra or Fairfield. There are better candidates out there, and I'd much rather end up with 12 teams, than to add low value teams to get to 14, or 16.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
siena's commitment to basketball and fordham's commitment to basketball are ridiculously disproportionate. siena actually cares, fordham does not... in the least...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fordham could build a new facility without demolishing the RHG. The reason we do not have a facility is not money or space, it is that it is not a priority for the administration.
Ace you are correct, that is why competing in a conference that has superior venues is so difficult. Without a new facility it is hard to see us competing at a high level.

That is why the PL makes sense, as unpleasant as it may seem. I understand the disappointment that would cause initially., but in the long term it is more consistent with the overall development of the University.

I am confident that a move, which of course will be denied publically at this time, will get another look at The BOTs spring meeting. Not saying it is likely now, but it could be a season or two away.

Still believe that the view away from Rose Hill recorded that the state of the program is not helping Forfham at all - no one thinks we have a A10 level program, I am tired of the humiliation.

·
Registered
225 Posts
While I would have no real problem with adding Siena should we lose all of our Midwestern teams, and need to add a few to get back to 12, under no circumstances should we consider adding Iona, Hofstra or Fairfield. There are better candidates out there, and I'd much rather end up with 12 teams, than to add low value teams to get to 14, or 16.
With the BE7 taking the good teams and Umass leaving for the football BE, the line to join VCU, Duquesne, Fordham, St Bona, LaSalle, URI, Richmond, and St Joe's may not be as long as you think it is. Iona, Hofstra or Fairfield may start to look pretty good.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
I used to like Butler. At least a couple of the arrogant Butler posters are making that more difficult by the day.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Ramram continues to make things up and hope that those on this board are not alerted to the truth. The truth is that Jeff Gray, VP of Fordham, on his own asked the BOT this last summer to move all sports to the PL. The BOT dismissed it out of hand saying the alumni would not stand for it and we should focus on improving in the A-10 as opposed to running away. The focus is to play more games off campus and improve the facilities surround the RHG. Will that be enough? I have no idea but I know the BOT wants no part of moving us to the PL. Our AD has repeatedly said we are committed to the A-10. Ramram wants no part of the Fordham board because his posts are met with facts like I have just given you and his agenda driven speculation is shot down.

The most likely scenerio is that we do not do anything and let the latest round of movement shake out. The C7 will form their new conference and we will stay in the A-10 even if it loses 4 teams. Many at Fordham think that in reality that is the best thing that can happen to us, we stay in the A-10 that is not as strong but it is still a much better conference than the PL. The PL has been riding Lehihg and Bucknell for a few years now but McCollum and Muscala are seniors and those guys come along once in a decade.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I used to like Butler. At least a couple of the arrogant Butler posters are making that more difficult by the day.
Just think of them in a few years. Stevens will be gone, they will struggle, and they will be totally out of place as the only non-Catholic school in a league that never lives up to its hype.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
With the BE7 taking the good teams and Umass leaving for the football BE, the line to join VCU, Duquesne, Fordham, St Bona, LaSalle, URI, Richmond, and St Joe's may not be as long as you think it is. Iona, Hofstra or Fairfield may start to look pretty good.
Nonsense! GMU, Siena, Cleveland St., and Holy Cross would all be better choices. We don't need to add just anybody to have 14, or 16 teams. 12, or even 10 teams is better than adding low value teams.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts