Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other then the win/loss record and the double digit wins, I see a whole new team out there with Frank on board.

There was something missing since the start of the season that I couldn't put my finger on. Maybe it was the minutes played that were taking a toll, or the USA games that Kenyon, Rj and Kidd played that made them play a little lax, but watching the Nets now is noticably different.

I haven't felt this much excitement during their play since Kidds first year. I know it's only 5 games into Franks coaching tenure, but its such a drastic change I had to say something. I have alot more confidence in Jefferson now on the offensive end, and I know longer feel like we're going to lose a lead if Zoran and Rogers enter the game. Kidd is playing with the superstar ability he displayed when he first got here, and it is rubbing off on the other players. Just look at that full court pass he threw Kenyon tonight who then threw an oop to RJ without even thinking twice. We saw none of this energy around the time of the Grizzlie massacre.

Was it Scott all of this time that had us playing down in the dumps? Are they just stepping it up because of the sudden coaching change, or is Frank that good of a motivator??

Like I said, it is way too early to claim Frank to be the next Wooden, but I would have to say that he is a big part of the Nets swing in play.
Zoran is still a little bit wild out there, and Collins IMO is still a waste, but there aren't really other complaints i can think of right now. I just hope this can continue into the playoffs.

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
I think everyone was just tired of and tired of playing under scott. It seems like there is a whole new energy to the team now that Frank is in charge.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
I agree with pretty much everything you wrote, except that Collins is "a waste." He fits in well on this team and does the little things that are needed. If the other 4 starters are playing well, they don't need much offense from Twin.

Anyway, this is definitely the best the Nets have looked all year. This is the Nets we know, the 2 time Eastern Conference champions. It all starts with the defense. They have really put the clamps on their opponents in these last 5 games.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think fans are content with Collins as our center because he doesn't harm out team. But, we would be that much more dangerous with a center that had some kind of offensive ability, or a guy who had shot blocking presence in the middle.

Someone like Dalembert, Brad Miller (of course), Divac or Ratliff would be perfect for us. I'd even take Nazr Mohammed.

·
Let's Go Streaking!
6,994 Posts

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
It's definitely a different team than what we saw in the 1st half of the season:

From
The Bergen Record:

"That was then," said Kidd, who double-doubled oddly, with 18 points and 11 rebounds, but only four assists. "Now this is a different team in the sense of preparation and understanding what's at stake. ...

"Two different teams."

"We're playing harder for longer and defending the way we know how to defend," Martin said when asked to describe the difference in the Nets from the first Miami game until Wednesday's.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Definitely promising. The Nets are playing like a different team. They're passing, running plays and playing defense like it's the 01-02 season again. The perimeter offense is still shaky, but right now, they're getting the most out of the interior - again, like the 01-02 season. I'm looking forward to when the quality of opposition picks up again, so we can better judge the improvement.

It almost looks like Frank has simplified or changed Rogers' and Lu's roles. Rogers, instead of looking to score, has taken on Veal's utility role with bonus scoring. Lu isn't being asked to run the point anymore - he's just looking to spot up.

As for Twin, the Nets didn't start Maculloch, draft Krstic, and sign Zo and Deke, and even Rogers (played some C with Celtics) because the team is searching for his back-up. Twin should be a good back-up on this team, somebody who can step in, if not as a game-changer, then as a player who'll work hard and maintain the Nets' game-plan for 10-20 minutes, and spot-start when called upon. It's not his fault he's been forced to play a bigger role than he should. He has his strengths, he's a good character guy, and he's done his best, and that counts.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
A nice article about the new atmosphere:

Frank Is Winning Players' Respect

"It's never this easy," Frank said after practice Thursday. "We've been very, very fortunate. But we're still in the infancy stages. There's still a lot of feeling out to do."

Since he took over, Frank has made at least one move in every game that captivated the Nets and solidified his new role. By using his authority, he has expanded it.

GAME 1 In the moments before his head-coaching debut at Philadelphia, Frank charged into the locker room and compared himself to every player on the team who was ever considered an underdog, who was ever written off because he didn't have enough size or experience, and who persevered anyway.

Apparently, the Nets listened. They leapt ahead of the 76ers, 26-6, and after the most convincing victory of their season, by 94-76, Jason Kidd handed the game ball to Frank.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Coaching is more than drawing up X's and O's on a clipboard," Frank said. "You're dealing with people. All I can do is give my best effort, be honest, direct and sincere. The players determine if they respect me or not."

Being a Cowboy fan and reading alot of info on Parcells last season, Frank reminds me alot of him. Coaching is about dealing with many different types of personalities, which Scott had trouble doing. Frank on the other hand is doing a very nice just thus far, as well as Parcells and that leads to success in the game. Players like to be treated as human beings too, and when a coach can make an effort to get to know each player on a personal level it says alot about him. Players see that and in turn want to play good for him.

I like how he sat down with each individual player to discuss their role with the team.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Frank would have been a good Army sergeant. He understands the essence of leadership and the fundamental relationship, and its purpose, between the leader and the led.

Frank is only 33, but he's been training to be an NBA head coach for most his life. Scott had, what - 2 seasons as an assistant coach with the Kings before he took over the head job in NJ? On top of his other coaching experiences, Frank was an NBA assistant coach for over 6 seasons.

Instead of seeking a head coaching job right away, Scott should go in for a few more years of seasoning as a top assistant and then return to head coaching.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Here comes the Scott bashing...:D

But seriously, from all reports, Scott's motivation tools are limited to playing golf with players, joking with them, etc. He lacks the 'tough edge' that will command players' respects on the court. Not that it was total unacceptable, but obviously players didn't buy into it no more.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DeezNets</b>!
I think fans are content with Collins as our center because he doesn't harm out team. But, we would be that much more dangerous with a center that had some kind of offensive ability, or a guy who had shot blocking presence in the middle.

Someone like Dalembert, Brad Miller (of course), Divac or Ratliff would be perfect for us. I'd even take Nazr Mohammed.
Theo doesn't have very soft hands. Nor does Mohammed. Todd was our perfect center. Of course Miller and Divac would be upgrades. I love to see us offer Divac the MLE this year to tutor Krstic. Maybe offer Collins around to a team with cap space next year to also take on Rogers or another bad contract of ours. Would the Jazz take Collins, and Rogers for a 2nd round pick?

-Petey

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MightyReds2020</b>!
Here comes the Scott bashing...:D

But seriously, from all reports, Scott's motivation tools are limited to playing golf with players, joking with them, etc. He lacks the 'tough edge' that will command players' respects on the court. Not that it was total unacceptable, but obviously players didn't buy into it no more.
Hey, I'm not saying Scott will never be a good head coach, just that it doesn't seem like he's ready yet. His best-case scenario would have been to learn under Riley for about 4 seasons. He can't do that now, but maybe a few seasons under Hubie Brown and Jerry West will do him some good. Or, maybe a few seasons working under Larry Brown on the Pacers (where he could also get his revenge on the Nets). Two seasons as an assistant coach, compared to Frank's six, may not have been enough for him to develop adequate 'technical and tactical proficiency' to be a champion-level head coach. For good-quality competitors, like the Nets players, few traits are more motivational in a head coach than fundamental competence.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Are you sure Scott didn't have an ast. coach gig somewhere?

-Petey

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Petey</b>!
Are you sure Scott didn't have an ast. coach gig somewhere?

-Petey
Scott was an assistant for two seasons under Adelman with the Kings.

Given that quality coaches like Pete Carrill and Eddie Jordan were also assistants on that staff, it's quite possible in retrospect that Scott didn't receive adequate in-depth training and coaching experience on the Kings. Then, of course, he moved on to the Nets, where his assistants continued to do the bulk of the work.

If that's the case, Scott maybe should swallow his pride and spend another season or two of remedial coaching under an elite head coach and catch up on the stuff he missed the first time around as an assistant.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NYCbballFan</b>!
Scott was an assistant for two seasons under Adelman with the Kings.

Given that quality coaches like Pete Carrill and Eddie Jordan were also assistants on that staff, it's quite possible in retrospect that Scott didn't receive adequate in-depth training and coaching experience on the Kings. Then, of course, he moved on to the Nets, where his assistants continued to do the bulk of the work.

If that's the case, Scott maybe should swallow his pride and spend another season or two of remedial coaching under an elite head coach and catch up on the stuff he missed the first time around as an assistant.
I think alot of Net fans know he is a poor coach, or we could certainly find better, which is why we are not as upset. Although, it seems the media is bad mouthing the Nets as he won 2 conference titles. Now with that, do you think he would be able to go back to a lower level coach? I think also a guy like Hill came back after sitting out a while.

-Petey

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Petey</b>!

I think alot of Net fans know he is a poor coach, or we could certainly find better, which is why we are not as upset. Although, it seems the media is bad mouthing the Nets as he won 2 conference titles. Now with that, do you think he would be able to go back to a lower level coach? I think also a guy like Hill came back after sitting out a while.

-Petey
Former head coaches often recycle as assistant coaches. Scott can certainly do that if he chooses to, although his recent success makes him more of a popular name than many of them.

If he really is as poor a coach as rumored (and witnessed), then Scott's next step depends on where he wants his coaching career to go. He can keep the same cycle, if he's hired again as a head coach, or he can 'go back to school' and learn his trade.

Maybe he'll pull a Larry Bird - another player-turned-coach with dubious head coaching ability - and quit while he's ahead.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts