Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Banned
6,174 Posts
Voelkel scored 30 in a game and averages 14 on the season. Wtf

Sandro plays in a top euro league wtf

Rusin was not listed and I never saw him as a euro next level player anyways. There is some bad leagues out there though where it seems like anyone can play.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,730 Posts
Voelkel scored 30 in a game and averages 14 on the season. Wtf

Sandro plays in the top euro league wtf

Rusin was not listed and I never saw him as a euro next level player anyways. There is some bad leagues out there though where it seems like anyone can play.
LEB gold isn't the top level in Spain, but it is the 2nd highest level and may be a top 5 league in Europe.

·
Banned
6,174 Posts
LEB gold isn't the top level in Spain, but it is the 2nd highest level and may be a top 5 league in Europe.
My bad messed the up the two but impressive none the less. I just don't see how Sandro plays in this league. There are so many better pgs in college ball over the past few years. Guards are a dime a dozen.

·
Premium Member
33,160 Posts
Surprised on talent that Sandro 's first pro job is in that league but not surprised at all he's playing in it- kid is really smart and knows how to surround himself with other smart people. Probably has a really good agent.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Sandro is able to do it because I believe he has an Italian passport. A passport in an EU country basically means you can play in any EU country as a domestic player and not an "import" (read American). That means Sandro is competing for one of 12-13 domestic roster spots as opposed to 1-3 "import" roster spots. He's an end of the bench reserve, which is fantastic, but if you gave an EU passport to most good AE guards (Alvin Abreu, Mike Black, D.J. Irving, etc) they'd be able to land a bench role in a solid league.

Voelkel is playing in a lower level league in Australia so I'm not surprised he's killing it.

·
Premium Member
33,160 Posts
Over/Under on # of times a day Voelkel most likely gets recruited for Australian Rules Football and/or Rugby?

·
Banned
6,174 Posts
Sandro is able to do it because I believe he has an Italian passport. A passport in an EU country basically means you can play in any EU country as a domestic player and not an "import" (read American). That means Sandro is competing for one of 12-13 domestic roster spots as opposed to 1-3 "import" roster spots. He's an end of the bench reserve, which is fantastic, but if you gave an EU passport to most good AE guards (Alvin Abreu, Mike Black, D.J. Irving, etc) they'd be able to land a bench role in a solid league.

Voelkel is playing in a lower level league in Australia so I'm not surprised he's killing it.
Did voelkel get the Irish passport or citizenship he was looking for? Are you surprised how well he is scoring in Australia? Do you think European teams pass on voelkel for not passing an eye test? I would think voelkel would be destined for bigger leagues.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Did voelkel get the Irish passport or citizenship he was looking for? Are you surprised how well he is scoring in Australia? Do you think European teams pass on voelkel for not passing an eye test? I would think voelkel would be destined for bigger leagues.
I believe he did get an Irish passport, so I definitely think he can play at a decent level in Europe. I think not passing the "eye test" definitely worked against him, and despite their team oriented style of play in Europe, point forwards like Voelkel aren't in very high demand in higher level Euro leagues -- they want their forwards to score, and he is going to be very undersized...

I think he can play at that level, I just don't know if someone will give him a shot.

I'm not that surprised about his scoring in the league he is in in Australia, because it isn't a very high level league (lots of young kids and old guys, it isn't anywhere close to the level of the NBL, the top league in Australia)...

·
Banned
6,174 Posts
I believe he did get an Irish passport, so I definitely think he can play at a decent level in Europe. I think not passing the "eye test" definitely worked against him, and despite their team oriented style of play in Europe, point forwards like Voelkel aren't in very high demand in higher level Euro leagues -- they want their forwards to score, and he is going to be very undersized...

I think he can play at that level, I just don't know if someone will give him a shot.

I'm not that surprised about his scoring in the league he is in in Australia, because it isn't a very high level league (lots of young kids and old guys, it isn't anywhere close to the level of the NBL, the top league in Australia)...
But you have to shoot to score.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Someone mentioned Gerardo Suero (ex-UA) in another thread... in the "where are they now?" spirit, I became idly curious. He's playing in the Dominican Republic. Looks like he's playing for the SD Lions (and is their leading scorer in the new 2015 season), and before that for the Atlantic Hurricanes, both in the Dominican league.
Suero is one of the saddest situations I've ever seen in the America East when it comes to blindly listening to the advice of people who were completely and utterly blind themselves to the world of basketball...

He had zero shot at the NBA as a 1-and-done from the America East, and the manner and way in which he left basically completely poisoned the well when it came to landing a gig in Europe or Asia (he obviously has the talent to play over there, but legit teams do not invest in players who they think are unreliable or could bolt on them at any chance).

So he wound up back in the DR, with no degree, playing in a league that doesn't exactly pay well. Had he stayed in college one more year, he could be playing somewhere in Europe or Asia that pays well... or, worst case scenario, he'd be in the same exact league he's in now but with a college degree...

·
Premium Member
33,160 Posts
But you have to shoot to score.
I'm trying to be as polite about it as possible, but... it really is not a good league, so I'm not surprised by his numbers. He can bull his way to the hoop against those guys with ease.
If I had to guess he's probably scoring the same way in that league as he did in HS. He was a pretty big scorer in HS.

Reactions: Patch

·
Premium Member
33,160 Posts
Yeah while it was funny at the time that Suero legitimately declared for the NBA Draft as an underclassmen, it's actually quite sad really.

·
Premium Member
33,160 Posts
Per NMH Basketball twitter, Hector Harold will play professionally for UMF Grandavik in Iceland's Premier League. Congrats to Hector!

Reactions: Catcountry21

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Per NMH Basketball twitter, Hector Harold will play professionally for UMF Grandavik in Iceland's Premier League. Congrats to Hector!
"Yeah, Burlington was a pretty big departure from Pasadena, but surely there's somewhere even more northern and remote I can play ball."

But for real, congrats to him.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The BFP piece on Taylor Coppenrath was already posted in the current Cats' thread.

Even more fun, Coppenrath and the Orange-beaters from the 2005 NCAAs are one of five featured in the Guardian (UK)'s article, Five March Madness one-hit wonders: where are they now?. (Article dated March 2015 but I just saw it now.)

The article contains a video of part of the UVM-Syracuse game, as well as the video cited below:
After graduating as the greatest player in school history, Coppenrath played with the Celtics’ and Pacers’ summer league teams, but he’s since carved out a permanent career overseas. After stops in Greece and Italy, he’s now in his eighth year playing in Spain. Coppenrath’s current squad is the Autocid Ford Burgos, a team based in the northern city of Burgos.

Coppenrath says he’s adjusted to the culture, but still struggles at times with the native tongue. “My Spanish has improved, but it still lacks,” he tells the Guardian. The team recently released a video with his highlights and him speaking some Spanish.
"Mi jugador favorito... Larry Bird."

1 - 20 of 84 Posts