Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,891 Posts
Pretty sure Marqus Blakely just signed with the Korean Basketball League. Was watching the video below and thought I recognized him about 1 min 30 seconds in - http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/jul/23/what-happens-in-vegas-the-strange-world-of-the-korean-basketball-league-draft

Quick google search returned this - http://m.philstar.com/314195/show/0daad821647f94b03cf95ddd4c693c59/?

Interesting concept with their tryout and draft in Vegas. Best of luck to him.
Very cool. At surface level sounds like it will be a great league for him. Some very good former college players were drafted- Marqus should do well there.

Sounds like they avoided some of the former NBA veterans due to behavioral issues.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Voelkel signs with the London Lions of the British Basketball League.

http://www.londonlionsbasketball.com/
I did not know he had Irish citizenship... that would mean he wouldn't count as an import on any EU team, not just in Britain. Interesting.
Brian Voelkel Is Next Lion

London Lions have signed defensive king pin, Brian Voelkel for the upcoming season as the roster grows.

The 6’6” Forward attended Vermont University in the NCAA’s America East Conference where he was voted Defensive Player of the Year in 2014. The three time All-Defensive team member was also the Rookie of the year in his first year in College. In his final year Voelkel averaged 7 points, 8 rebounds and 6 assists.

Voelkel is 23 years old and is currently playing in Australia where his team have entered the Playoff’s. So far with the South West Slammers he is averaging an eye popping 15 points 17 rebounds and 7 assists. Having Irish citizenship also means Brian won’t take up an import slot.

Lions’ Head Coach, Nigel Lloyd commented, “I believe Brian will do whatever it takes to win, his work ethic is second to none and speaks to how we want Lions basketball to look like, the only player in NCAA Division 1 history with 1000 rebounds and 600 assists, that’s doing some work”

A record breaker all round, he was the first player to get a triple double in AEC history, Brian is delighted to be coming to England, “I am grateful for the opportunity the Lions have given me, I want to work hard for the team and fans”

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I know very little about PRO ball outside of the bigger European leagues. Is this a move up?
I think the London Lions must be a step up from Australian basketball, but considerably below even the lesser Euro leagues. But I don't know much about it, either.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I know very little about PRO ball outside of the bigger European leagues. Is this a move up?
I think the London Lions must be a step up from Australian basketball, but considerably below even the lesser Euro leagues. But I don't know much about it, either.
The top league in Australia is considerably higher level than the BBL, however voelkel was playing in a second tier Aussie league so the BBL is probably a step up although not a big one

·
5,807 Posts
The top level in Australia is run very poorly, they can't decide if they want to be a summer league (winter with the rest of us) and play in front of a few hundred people while everyone is outside at the beach, or be a winter league and compete with every other mainstream sport down there; every three years they change their mind on when they what time of year they want to play. They lost teams in most major cities; recently an investor was scared away from the league after trying to restart one of the more popular teams in the third-largest market that folded nearly 10 years ago, and blamed the league's indecision on what time of year they want to play in future seasons. Plus, their TV deals fall apart at the start of every season.

The league Voekel just left is a level below that, but is actually run well. That said, it's strictly semipro, where some players are paid, some are not, and talent-wise is equivilant to DII. Moving to the UK is definitely a step-up from where he is, yes, but the BBL is more stable then a promotion into the top league of Australia.

·
Premium Member
32,891 Posts
Love Voelkel but any pro league where he's averaging 15ppg/17rpg will have weaker "pro" talent.

The BBL is pretty low on talent as well, but Voelkel is certainly doing it right in terms of the experience of being a lower level pro- he's been to Australia and will now be in London- one of the most expensive cities in the world- on someone else's dime. Definitely getting to be in some cool places.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
The top level in Australia is run very poorly, they can't decide if they want to be a summer league (winter with the rest of us) and play in front of a few hundred people while everyone is outside at the beach, or be a winter league and compete with every other mainstream sport down there; every three years they change their mind on when they what time of year they want to play. They lost teams in most major cities; recently an investor was scared away from the league after trying to restart one of the more popular teams in the third-largest market that folded nearly 10 years ago, and blamed the league's indecision on what time of year they want to play in future seasons. Plus, their TV deals fall apart at the start of every season.

The league Voekel just left is a level below that, but is actually run well. That said, it's strictly semipro, where some players are paid, some are not, and talent-wise is equivilant to DII. Moving to the UK is definitely a step-up from where he is, yes, but the BBL is more stable then a promotion into the top league of Australia.

While I don't disagree completely (the 1990's were the peak of the league) the attendance part is off. With the "ladder teams", you may see 1,000 - 3,000 fans. The bigger squads (Perth, Adelaide, Cairns, etc.) see anywhere from 4,000 - 12,000 fans a game.

·
Premium Member
32,891 Posts
I see voelkel continuing to move up levels. The guy has skills that produce at any level plus he plays defense.
Agreed- he especially should be able to advance in Europe given he doesn't count as an import.

Total team player whose game should be well-respected in Europe. Basically polar opposite of something like the D-League.

·
Banned
577 Posts
Voelkel Irish(?) passport would that make him eligible for their national team? At least closer to get noticed I say this knowing nothing about Irish basketball but gonna go ahead and assume their national team in basketball sucks. But would be cool to say you did that same goes for Accoaui in Lebanon.

·
Banned
6,174 Posts
Agreed- he especially should be able to advance in Europe given he doesn't count as an import.

Total team player whose game should be well-respected in Europe. Basically polar opposite of something like the D-League.
It seems like teams have been scared away by his lack of looking or playing like a basketball player. It's crazy to think Sandro is playing in a much better league. The only way he will get respect is by earning it......which he will. He just produces.

·
Banned
577 Posts
Rusin re-sign with his Slovak(?) team Taylor re-sign with his team too I think or will with someone soon but between those two OShea and Rugg when was last time there were even 4 Vermonters playing professional basketball at some level here or abroad at the same time?

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
"Defensive kingpin" Brian Voelkel's new team, the London Lions, will be playing the UMass Minutemen August 22:
London Lions will play host to the University of Massachusetts Minutemen at the Copper Box Arena last this month.

Coach Nigel Lloyd takes the reins for the first time with his new-look Lions team on Saturday August 22 (6pm), with most if not all of the squad available for selection.
“Brian Voelkel will have played at this level most recently and if we can get our imports in by then as well it will be a thrilling game for London.”
The last time the Lions faced an NCAA Division programme at the Copper Box, Iowa in 2013, the game sold out, and tickets for the visit of UMass are expected to go fast.
Visit londonlionsbasketball.com for more information.
http://www.newhamrecorder.co.uk/sport/london_lions_to_host_ncaa_squad_1_4182442

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
"Defensive kingpin" Brian Voelkel's new team, the London Lions, will be playing the UMass Minutemen August 22:

http://www.newhamrecorder.co.uk/sport/london_lions_to_host_ncaa_squad_1_4182442
Since we're talking overseas pros, this is an absolutely great read from Grantland that gives some good info on the vastly different tiers and experiences of playing overseas, or trying to keep the dream alive, and it mentions one-time Binghamton Bearcat and basketball journeyman Brian Freeman. http://grantland.com/features/jon-solomon-profile-german-basketball-import-exposure-tour-international-players/

21 - 40 of 70 Posts