Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,891 Posts
Legend. Best basketball player ever from state of Vermont. Pretty amazing non-NBA professional basketball career. What a storybook career- went out a Champ at all levels.

It's going to be wild when Sorrentine and Coppenrath are on the sidelines coaching UVM one day :)

But in all seriousness until then #UVMneedsabigmancoachlikeyesterday

·
Premium Member
32,891 Posts
Is it expected that TJ will come work at UVM someday?

Also, is he considered a good coach?
Maybe?

Yes- amazing recruiter, but he's going to need to get away from Brown to probably truly show how good of a coach he is from W/L perspective, I don't think Brown will ever win in the Ivy given rise of other programs (specifically Harvard/Yale/Columbia) and Brown is by far the weakest Academic Ivy putting them at an extreme disadvantage to compete.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Good for him, he had a great career. Do you think he made enough money over in the Europe that he doesn't have to work if he doesn't want to?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I talked to Tay at length over the weekend for the book I'm working on, and we spoke a lot about his decision to retire. He definitely seemed at peace with his career coming to an end -- and felt like there wasn't much more for him to accomplish as a pro -- but the biggest thing was definitely about wanting to really spend much more time with his family now that he and his wife have their first child.

For those talking about him being a college coach -- it certainly could happen down the road, and he's a brilliant basketball mind. But honestly, with his personality, I think his heart really lies in being a teacher and being with his family, as opposed to the constant grind of being on the road all the time as a college coach...

·
Premium Member
32,891 Posts
Good for him, he had a great career. Do you think he made enough money over in the Europe that he doesn't have to work if he doesn't want to?
Yes- to live in Vermont wouldn't have to work. To live somewhere else with higher cost of living, then would have to work.

·
Premium Member
32,891 Posts
I talked to Tay at length over the weekend for the book I'm working on, and we spoke a lot about his decision to retire. He definitely seemed at peace with his career coming to an end -- and felt like there wasn't much more for him to accomplish as a pro -- but the biggest thing was definitely about wanting to really spend much more time with his family now that he and his wife have their first child.

For those talking about him being a college coach -- it certainly could happen down the road, and he's a brilliant basketball mind. But honestly, with his personality, I think his heart really lies in being a teacher and being with his family, as opposed to the constant grind of being on the road all the time as a college coach...
I wasn't being serious about Coppenrath becoming an assistant coach for UVM w/ Sorrentine. Obviously, for TJ it's his profession so it is what he'll be doing, but TC may never become a coach for reasons you mention above.

I would like to see him be a part of the program working with big men someday in an advisory type role with no travel and can just be in Burlington, but the grind of the travel for 50K a year is counter to why he's retiring as a pro basketball player in the first place.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Taylor is only 33 years old with a family. He will definitely have to work again. There's is no way a 10 year career in Europe in the second division earned him enough money that he'd be all set for life.

It's great that he earned his teaching degree at UVM so he'd have a second career after his playing days are done. It helps to be a local legend because getting teaching jobs in Vermont is not that easy. Tom O'Shea just got the most overqualified high school assistant coach in the state of Vermont!

·
Banned
6,174 Posts
Taylor is only 33 years old with a family. He will definitely have to work again. There's is no way a 10 year career in Europe in the second division earned him enough money that he'd be all set for life.

It's great that he earned his teaching degree at UVM so he'd have a second career after his playing days are done. It helps to be a local legend because getting teaching jobs in Vermont is not that easy. Tom O'Shea just got the most overqualified high school assistant coach in the state of Vermont!
I thought I heard he made around 250k a year before salaries dropped big time in Europe which was pretty early. I'm guessing on average he made 175k over 10 years on the high end and 150 on the low end.

He should of made 1.5 to 1.75 mil.

Someone living in his area could making 50k for 40 years and plenty make less which would be 2 mil. He could not work again but idk his wife's career or the lifestyle he would want to live.

·
Premium Member
32,891 Posts
IIRC his first couple of years overseas his first few contracts were for high dollar amounts and then post-2008 after global financial crisis the Euro contracts were no longer the same, but he still made low six figures annually.

Without knowing exact numbers, I'd estimate Taylor made probably approx north of 2M over his 10 year career, especially once you factor in annual investment returns/compounding. And remember- playing at his level professionally all his expenses were taken care of. Figure he probably bought a house in VT with his earnings, but what's a nice 3b+ house in St. J cost? 300K? 400K max?

If he has any investment acumen of his own- or even if he does not and knows how to identify a financial advisor that does, conservatively with a very simple allocation you should be able to return 9% a year. Even after Gov takes its cut that's still a healthy VT annual earning.

So....You can easily see how someone could live in Vermont off the interest generated by 2M. Even 1.6M or 1.7M subtracting the house. New York or LA or SF or Boston? No way, still need a job in those places especially if they end up having 2+ children.

That all being said, it's a moot point as he seems passionate about becoming a teacher and having a career away from hoops. Doesn't seem like the type that wouldn't want to work as well.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I don't want to get into specifics, but Taylor never made below six figures and that is AFTER taxes and that isn't including room, board and meals... 2nd division spAin is still top 5 in the world...

·
Premium Member
32,891 Posts
I don't want to get into specifics, but Taylor never made below six figures and that is AFTER taxes and that isn't including room, board and meals... 2nd division spAin is still top 5 in the world...
Yep- Wasn't his AEK contract high as well? Pretty sure he cleared 500K from just his first two pro seasons.

·
Premium Member
32,891 Posts
Yep- Wasn't his AEK contract high as well? Pretty sure he cleared 500K from just his first two pro seasons.

·
Registered
98 Posts

Tom O'Shea left The academy some time ago, and don't read to much into the "assistant coach" title.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Totally agree.
MVP on borderline top division team in Spain? Number is closer to 3m.Only first two years in Greece 600k.
In Luxembourg or Slovakia you can make 40k to 60k. Food, transportation,apartment paid.
Why Clancy went back to play in Luxemburg? He makes more money right now as his teammate teaching in Williston.
Luxembourg league players (excluding foreigners) all have regular job.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts