Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Chicago Bulls drafted Chris Duhon in the second round of this year's draft, and are high on his potential, but with an overloaded roster, there will not be room for him on the club. They have spoken about finding him a place to play overseas to improve his game until roster space is cleared for him to return.

realgm.com

I know we knew this was gonna happen, but it's kinda sad. I wonder how he feels about it.

·
Remember My Name
5,229 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Chi_Lunatic</b>!
I know we knew this was gonna happen, but it's kinda sad. I wonder how he feels about it.
wonder how deng will feel about this....they are said do be good friends.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Re: Re: Former Blue Devil Duhon Likely to Play in Europe

Originally posted by <b>toros_locos</b>!

good question...

Hell, I wonder how it feels for any drafted player to be sent overseas by their nba team...

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Re: Re: Former Blue Devil Duhon Likely to Play in Europe

Originally posted by <b>toros_locos</b>!

Well, Duhon really might be in our team's future. It's just a guess by me, but unlike Mario Austin and Tommy Smith, I could see him making the team after a year of playing abroad. If not this year, they could be reunited next year.

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
I agree with DMD, unless Mike Wilks shows up big time, and he might. They haven't been shy about talking Duhon up a lot in the offseason. He's a real player, and they all know it, including Pax. He can run with an NBA team, for sure.

But Wilks is a little older, more mature, has some good range, and has contributed and warranted interest from three teams in the past two years. He can play the backup's backup, now that we have Pike.

Hinrich (30 mpg)/ Frank Williams (11 mpg)/ Wilks (7 mpg)
Gordon (25 mpg)/ Pike (16 mpg)/ Williams (7 mpg)
Deng/Chapu/E-Rob
Chandler/Othella
Curry/AD

But in my opinion, Pargo should beat out Wilks. Wilks has a little bit better defense, from the little I've seen from him, but Pargo has better range and can score in bunches quicker.

If this team is all healthy, and can play together even mildly well, we have something to look forward to, for sure. I think Gordon will string together a few really great games this season.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf reportedly turned down the deal, however, concerned that it would add about $2.8 million to the payroll over the next two seasons.
That's the second reporter noting that Jerry's sticking his nose into the operations end of the Bulls biz, setting budgets and nixing trades.

No matter what I think of Pax as a GM, having an owner that won't let you follow your vision makes evaluating him fairly that much harder.

Of course, it's kind of an evaluation of that vision and Pax's judgement itself that Reinsdorf appears to be taking an active hand in things.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!
Of course, it's kind of an evaluation of that vision and Pax's judgement itself that Reinsdorf appears to be taking an active hand in things.
Maybe Paxson decided to use Reinsdorf as the "bad cop" on this one.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Duhon can take solice in the fact that his competition comes in the form of "experienced" players who are on guarranteed ending contracts and who were not the focal point of the summertime trades that brought them here. In addition, I've got to believe that a player's always better off getting meaningful minutes overseas instead of pining away on the injured list most of the year.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
In today's papers, it sound pretty definetive that Duhon isn't going anywhere.

If I was his agent, I don't he should go anywhere either. Make the Bulls put him on the roster or make him a FA. The sooner he is a FA, the sooner the potential payoff. He saw peers like Boozer come in as second rounders and do just fine.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Originally posted by <b>johnston797</b>!
In today's papers, it sound pretty definetive that Duhon isn't going anywhere.

If I was his agent, I don't he should go anywhere either. Make the Bulls put him on the roster or make him a FA. The sooner he is a FA, the sooner the potential payoff. He saw peers like Boozer come in as second rounders and do just fine.
That's some big league confidence on his part if that's the case. Most no one sounded really impressed with Duhon

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!

That's some big league confidence on his part if that's the case. Most no one sounded really impressed with Duhon

Duhon can hope that Pax and Skiles use their chanels and hook him up with a nice European deal, work on his game and then he come back as basically a second round pick with the Bulls owning his rights.

Or Duhon can try out for the team. If he doesn't make it, then Duhon can hope that Coack K can his chanels and hook him up with a nice European deal, work on his game and then he come back as a FA.

Now there is some advantage to locking in an early deal with guarenteed money in Europe but there could be a HUGE advantage to being a FA. And I am sure Duhon is a confident guy.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
how many players drafted ahead of duhon didn't even make their own teams?

its starting to look like a trend with paxson and 2nd rounders

·
Registered
471 Posts
"Wilks is a pressure defender who could beat out Chris Duhon and Frank Williams to be Hinrich's backup. Duhon, who isn't said to be high on the idea of playing overseas, could be traded."

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-040908kconbulls,1,4876419.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

It looks like Duhon could be on his way out permanently in a deal for a veteran backup bigman. Pax wants to move some of his guard depth for a bigman, according to this article.

Don't forget about Frank Williams BTW. He's better and has more potential than Duhon, Wilks, and Pargo IMO.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Piggybacking on Kismet's earlier post, maybe the Bulls could coax Charlotte into Pippen, Jeffries, and Duhon for White. Or maybe Robinson and Duhon for White with the Bulls throwing in $3 million. I doubt that last one would work, because Charlotte is pretty thick with SFs.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Dan, I was thinking about a trade along the lines of that going by what the paper said today too.

Pippen plus a point guard or two for someone's backup C who also has an expiring contract. Probably would have to be a 3rd stringer almost b/c a team is not likely to trade a backup C for a 2nd/3rd string PG. Pippen doesn't count of course.

Seattle might not need both Potapenko and James with Swift needing some minutes. Not pretty trade ideas, but something that might be looked at since Pax wants to fill that spot.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would personally be sad to see Duhon go; whether it be overseas or to another team. Just like you could see the raw skills Hinrich had last year in summer league, you could see the same thing in Duhon this year. Like Paxson said, it's going to be a tough roster spot to earn, but I like Duhon's potential. Sadly, I can see economics being the ultimate factor with whomever has that spot come the regular season.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
I could maybe possibly see the Charlotte deal if they'd like to have Duhon. With only Jason Hart and Omar Cook at the point, it's at least understandable.

The salary ramifications are also pretty much equal

White - $5.8 ~ Pippen $5.4 + Duhon $385k

Seattle seems less likely because James and Potapenko are the only guys they have that really look like Centers, and because they wouldn't have any obvious use for the guys we'd be giving them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts