Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you old-timers might remember Jeremy McCool who played for UVM a number of years ago. He is now the NCAA Director of enforcement for basketball development. Here's a link to an article about his work:

http://www.ncaa.org/static/champion/culture-cleanup/

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
UVM Athletics: Drew Urquhart ’18 Joins CEBL’s Fraser Valley Bandits
ABBOTSFORD, British Columbia – Former UVM men's basketball big man Drew Urquhart '18 has inked a deal with the Fraser Valley Bandits of the Canadian Elite Basketball League. The CEBL, in its inaugural season, is the first professional league of Canada Basketball and operates under International Basketball Federation (FIBA) rules.

Urquhart is the second former Catamount to sign with a CEBL team, joining classmate Trae Bell-Haynes, who will play for the Niagara River Lions.

The Vancouver, British Columbia native joins his hometown team after spending the 2018-19 campaign with Parnu Sadam of the Estonian Alexela Korvpalli Meistriliiga League (KML). He earned the starting nod eight times and posted an 8.8 scoring average. The 6-8 forward also led the team with 1.18 blocks per game and hauled in 4.8 rebounds per game.

Urquhart had a standout senior season for the Cats as he boasted 11.0 points, 5.3 rebounds, and 1.1 blocks per game. During conference play, he led the league in field goal percentage (62.8%) and finished second in blocks (24). He was later recognized with an America East All-Conference Second Team selection. In the career record books, Urquhart climbed to eighth with 86 career blocks.

Urquhart and Fraser Valley will get the season underway against the Guelph Nighthawks on Thursday night (May 9) at 10 p.m. ET. The league will stream every game live for free on CEBL.TV.
And for the love of everything holy, it's "fra-ZER", not "fra-ZHUR" (which is how the name Frasier/Frazier is pronounced). (I have a nephew Fraser.)

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Court to Corporate: Being an athlete doesn't end when you leave the game
Consistent with our mission to empower student-athletes in business, we will share stories of athletes who leverage their athletic identities in unique ways to propel their careers.

In our first feature, we spoke with Luke Apfeld, a University of Vermont Basketball Alum and current litigation and trial attorney, to discuss how his basketball career not only helped him gain perspective on his post-graduate career goals, but also helped him succeed under pressure in law school.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Crowded Camp
With 20 players on the roster, there are a few who might go under the radar, especially given the need to get to know the new players. Those include LiAngelo Ball, Anthony Lamb and Dzanan Musa, who was acquired in the trade with the Nets for Bruce Brown.
“I didn't know any of these guys before they came in. I didn't know Ball, but he's an excellent player and great kid,” Casey said. “Anthony Lamb from Vermont, the young man has come in and competed. Musa has done an excellent job coming in and fitting in, working hard. It's very hard for me to look out on the court and say that this guy doesn't belong. Lou King has come in and done a good job. I'm really impressed.

“The unfortunate thing for some of them is we don't have the G League. Some of those guys would be great candidates for our G League program to go into and to play because you can see the talent in all those young men.”

·
Premium Member
33,641 Posts
I believe there's 1 spot up for grabs on Pistons roster.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Detroit Pistons: yea or nay for G-League team?
Reportedly, the Pistons are among those teams who have informed the league office they have no interest in entering a G-League team in an Atlanta bubble.

On the face of it, the Pistons decision seems strange. They are in a full-blown youth movement. They are the sixth-youngest team in the NBA. Detroit drafted four players, traded for a couple others with limited experience and signed rookie free agents LiAngelo Ball and Anthony Lamb.

If any NBA team could use a G-League team, it would seem to be the Pistons. They certainly have enough players who could use the time on one. Last year, Detroit sent its first-round draft pick, Sekou Doumbouya, to play for the Drive.

The Pistons do have two players signed on two-way contracts (meaning they can play in the G-League and also a certain amount of NBA games) in second-round draft choice Saben Lee and forward Louis King, who was a two-way player last year, as well. Ball and Lamb are on Exhibit 10 contracts, which means they make up to $50,000 extra if they do not make the Pistons but agree to play for their G-League team.

So why is Detroit signing players to G-League contracts but not putting a team in the proposed G-League bubble?

Most likely answer: Atlanta is a lot farther away from Detroit then Grand Rapids.

·
Comrade Fox
2,054 Posts
TBH with a double double for Crailsheim yesterday. 15 pts (4/9 from the field including two threes) and 10 assists to go along with 4 rebounds. Merlins defeated Oldenburg 94-80. Through six rounds of the 34-game schedule, he leads the league in PPG, APG, fouls drawn per game...and unfortunately also turnovers per game (I'd assume that's just a usage rate thing though, because only Fraport's Jón Axel Guðmundsson (formerly of Davidson) has played more minutes per game.)

Next game is a week from today against Braunschweig, a team that I have learned 5 seconds ago is owned by Dennis Schroeder (current Laker). The more you know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Surprised no one's talked about Lamb getting some minutes tonight. I thought he played adequately, although nothing special. He really only touched the ball twice, as the Pistons were playing selfishly. The first time he got the ball he didn't have much room to drive so he kicked it to the wing, and the second time he missed a corner three just a little short. Really wanted to see that one go down. He played hard though and was the first to help teammates get up as usual. Hopefully they give him another run over the next two games, he looked like he belonged out there. Good effort on the defensive end, boxing out, fighting for 50/50 balls. If he could get a three to drop, the dominoes could fall and if he gets hot, someone will be giving him a serious look. I know it doesn't look like much, and perhaps I'm too much of a homer, but tonight really made me feel like he has a shot to make it at some point.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Surprised no one's talked about Lamb getting some minutes tonight. I thought he played adequately, although nothing special. He really only touched the ball twice, as the Pistons were playing selfishly. The first time he got the ball he didn't have much room to drive so he kicked it to the wing, and the second time he missed a corner three just a little short. Really wanted to see that one go down. He played hard though and was the first to help teammates get up as usual. Hopefully they give him another run over the next two games, he looked like he belonged out there. Good effort on the defensive end, boxing out, fighting for 50/50 balls. If he could get a three to drop, the dominoes could fall and if he gets hot, someone will be giving him a serious look. I know it doesn't look like much, and perhaps I'm too much of a homer, but tonight really made me feel like he has a shot to make it at some point.
He's been waived from the team. Maybe some team without 20 C/PFs will pick him up.

·
Premium Member
33,641 Posts
Lamb is going to need to sign with a team that is actually going to have a G League team or it’s off to Europe.

If he signs with a G League team the chances of being called up w/ COVID probably pretty good.

·
Premium Member
33,641 Posts
COVID has had a pretty devastating impact on many people, but it’s wreaked havoc on a fringe NBA prospect like Lamb and his ability to showcase his talents. He’s missed out on: NCAA Tournament, Portsmouth Invitational (a setting I think he’d have done quite well in), and any pre-draft competition was virtual.

The biggest one/most important one for him is NBA Summer League, which someone like Lamb would play a lot and be on teams with Drafted rookies, certain second year players, and undrafted players like himself; those guys can prove themselves against drafted players and guys that have spent a season in NBA. Not having a typical NBA Summer League is a tremendous loss for a player like Lamb. Hopefully, he can participate in one this summer if Vaccine is rolled out by then. Now, all he ultimately had was a two-week long COVID Training Camp, which is nothing.

It’s about having the opportunities to have the right eyes and people evaluating you, and without having all those opportunities it’s going to make the road that much harder. Hopefully, he can sign on with another NBA team and get assigned to a G League team that is operating and get a chance at a call up.

1 - 20 of 258 Posts