Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

201 - 220 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Spot on with the Blakely and Warney comment. If you can’t consistently score outside 10 feet, you better be 7 feet tall. And even then, you better be pretty athletic.

Frankly I’ve already been proven wrong on this one. I did not think Lamb’s skill set would translate even to this extent. Mostly because of lack of consistency shooting the three and the level of athleticism required. His defensive technique has always been very good though, which makes up for a lot on that end.
A lot of people are wrong thinking Lamb's offense will be what determines if he makes this opportunity stick. They know his pedigree, work ethic, and history to know that he can hit an open three at a reasonable rate, especially when it is his job to do that with excellent coaching staff.

What will determine whether he makes this opportunity stick will be whether he can successfully guard the 1-5 at this level. If you watched the first two games, Lamb matched up and guarded almost every player on the opposing teams. He did a damn good job. Why do you think PJ Tucker at 6'5 has any value? Its not cause averages 4 ppg, 4 rpg and shoot 30% from three. It cause he is a smart player that can guard the 1-5. To a lesser extent Rondae Hollis Jefferson, Iggy (today), Battier (at the very end), Semi Ojeleye are all valuable players. Its not because they help offensively. But, on D, they can guard the other sides best player, no matter the position, and aren't a liability on offense.

Does Lamb stick? Who knows? The last game didn't look good. Sure he was lucky - there are a lot of other talented kids out there. But, don't pretend he didn't work for this and earn it. He out hustled everyone in the G-league once he finally got one opportunity. He will miss shots, but rarely will a coach ever have to worry about him getting out hustled or making a stupid defensive play to give up easy baskets. That is the hard part at this level - they can teach most people to shoot an open 3 decently.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Lamb has what it takes to be a productive NBA role player and play his way into a 7-figure contract. That is smarts, high basketball IQ, craftiness and 7-ft wingspan with large hands. Lamb does not give up and he's surely the hardest-worker in the entire NBA. He belongs in the NBA, not Europe.

Now, while I'm the first person to shout "The box score doesn't tell the story!!", you can't hide from these stats. I didn't watch any of last night, but it looks like he's still launching bricks and had four fouls without any blocks or steals. Not a good look regardless.

And as far as the TBH comparison... really!?! The anti-Anthony hate on this forum from UVM "fans" is getting old and tiring. I love TBH but no he doesn't belong in the NBA, sorry. Stef will make the NBA long before TBH does. TBH is still stuck in second-tier Europe. I hope he can get a more lucrative contract as a starting PG in first-tier europe basketball (Spain, Greece and Italy) where, even with scandals and financial crises, players still make quite a bit more than in Germany or Finland.

·
Extra Spicy Takes
3,561 Posts
Lamb does not give up and he's surely the hardest-worker in the entire NBA. He belongs in the NBA, not Europe.

And as far as the TBH comparison... really!?! The anti-Anthony hate on this forum from UVM "fans" is getting old and tiring. I love TBH but no he doesn't belong in the NBA, sorry. Stef will make the NBA long before TBH does. TBH is still stuck in second-tier Europe. I hope he can get a more lucrative contract as a starting PG in first-tier europe basketball (Spain, Greece and Italy) where, even with scandals and financial crises, players still make quite a bit more than in Germany or Finland.
lol I thought I had hot takes

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
As an aside, the Rockets TV coverage is awful. The viewing options only work if you are in the Houston part of TX. I coughed up the bucks last night and was told that even though I had a valid account I couldn't watch because of my location!

·
Extra Spicy Takes
3,561 Posts
As an aside, the Rockets TV coverage is awful. The viewing options only work if you are in the Houston part of TX. I coughed up the bucks last night and was told that even though I had a valid account I couldn't watch because of my location!
I have the NBA League Pass on Youtube TV. $39 a month, but I'm in California and it's the only way I can guarantee being able to see all the Celtics games without relying on streaming sites. It's also nice to know I can watching any game I want any time. Nice to have them on in the background when I'm working on something.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Really glad to hear about TBH's success in the Bundesliga. The average salary an import player in the league makes is between $100,000 and $350,000, with Greg Monroe - the former Pistons' 7th overall pick - having the highest salary last year at nearly $1 million. TBH is the leading scorer for the #4 team in the league, so I'd think he'd be in line to be at or over the top of the 350K range if he re-signs for next year.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Really glad to hear about TBH's success in the Bundesliga. The average salary an import player in the league makes is between $100,000 and $350,000, with Greg Monroe - the former Pistons' 7th overall pick - having the highest salary last year at nearly $1 million. TBH is the leading scorer for the #4 team in the league, so I'd think he'd be in line to be at or over the top of the 350K range if he re-signs for next year.
The one million mark in the Bundesleague is still only one quarter of what the highest paid players in Spain (#1), Greece (#2) and Italy (#3) earn. Τhe Top 10 EuroLeague salaries of 2019-20

looking at this list a lot of Russian teams out there paying big bucks... I’m not going to touch that, but looks like you can make it big there too.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I watched a little bit of the Rockets-GSW last night. Lamb looked a little bit more settled in. He wasn't launching lobs from outside the perimeter. He was down in the paint, fighting for boards, getting put backs and kicking it out to Porter Jr... real blue-collar basketball. It wasn't pretty at all, but there's a place for that in today's NBA. Some crafty layups too in traffic as the shot clock was expiring. Certainly belonged out there.

While his offense looked a bit more together, his defense was atrocious. I'm not putting this on Lamb, but rather the rockets organization itself. No help-side D whatsoever and Draymond and Oubre sliced right through Lamb. A few times they switched and Curry shot right over Lamb like he was a dummy in a drill. Lamb looked bad, but I do think he would look a lot better on defense were he in a competent organization surrounding by more competent players.

·
The People's Champ
884 Posts
If Lamb can find a consistent mid range to compliment his D. Then sure he slides in as a ‘pj Tucker or ‘ojeleye. But still a little undersized. He can guard 2-4, sure, but its a mismatch if hes up against the PG or C. Also, one thing that has always stuck with me about Lamb is that he has enough athleticism to take anyone at the D1 collegiate level, but at merely 6’7, if you cant jump out the gym and stroke it at 45%, you are who you are... if he can translate more games into that 15-20min range and contribute 6 and 6 everybight he steps on the floor, they wont send him down. Once all those guys get healthy, if Lamb doesnt give us a couple eye popping games, unfortunately he will be severely overlooked by someone who was drafted by the organization or someone else who played at a high major school. You guys forget that PJ Tuck and Ojeleye played at major major D1 programs and proved that they could already bang down low with guys half a foot taller than them, can jump out the gym and can stroke the mid range in their sleep...

·
Registered
539 Posts
little undersized. He can guard 2-4, sure, but its a mismatch if hes up against the PG or C. Also, one thing that has always stuck with me about Lamb is that he has enough athleticism to take anyone at the D1 collegiate level, but at merely 6’7, if you cant jump out the gym and stroke it at 45%, you are who you are... if he can translate more games into that 15-20min range and contribute 6 and 6 everybight he steps on the floor, they wont send him down. Once all those guys get healthy, if Lamb doesnt give us a couple eye popping games, unfortunately he will be severely overlooked by someone who was drafted by the organization or someone else who played at a high major school. You guys forget that PJ Tuck and Ojeleye played at major major D1 programs and proved that they could already bang down low with guys half a foot taller than them, can jump out the gym and can stroke the mid range in their sleep...
Lamb has a 6'11 wingspan (PJ Tucker is 6'5 and has a 6'9 wingspan). Height is not everything and NBA teams know that. He can guard some PGs and Cs and if you actually watched the games, you'd see that.

His wingspan and reach are why he was such a force defensively and got so many blocks and steals.

There is a reason Lamb isn't the guy getting the fewest minutes on the rockets. In fact, only 3 people had more min than him last night. Once you make the league, they don't care where you went to school. Its what you show on the court.

Plus - "Once all those guys get healthy" - what guys? Wall and Oladipo? Their Front Court was healthy last night and he got 27 min.

Love all these stereotypes about size and mid major players. Watch a game - if you judge what he does on the court, he belongs.

·
The People's Champ
884 Posts
Lamb has a 6'11 wingspan (PJ Tucker is 6'5 and has a 6'9 wingspan). Height is not everything and NBA teams know that. He can guard some PGs and Cs and if you actually watched the games, you'd see that.

His wingspan and reach are why he was such a force defensively and got so many blocks and steals.

There is a reason Lamb isn't the guy getting the fewest minutes on the rockets. In fact, only 3 people had more min than him last night. Once you make the league, they don't care where you went to school. Its what you show on the court.

Plus - "Once all those guys get healthy" - what guys? Wall and Oladipo? Their Front Court was healthy last night and he got 27 min.

Love all these stereotypes about size and mid major players. Watch a game - if you judge what he does on the court, he belongs.
Ive watched the games. Thanks, agree to disagree. I think you are putting a lot of stock into what you know and seen from UVM, but quite simply hes not translating his intangibles at least not immediately, into the limited time hes seen. He did have a nice bounce back last night with a 9 and 9. Would like to see more of what he does well more consistently and quite honestly, needs to put the ball in the bucket at a better clip. But last nights 9 and 9, with a block, steal, etc. nice line. He def needs more of those to show he belongs. If he does that cool, hes got a path to an nba career. If we see a few more duds with a point and 3 or 4 rebounds here and there, not enough. He will ride the bench and swing two way. Which is fine too... he’s technically ‘made it’ right?

·
Premium Member
33,641 Posts
FYI Rockets have now lost 18 in a row. He hasn't faced a "weaker" NBA team yet, but has Pistons and Thunder coming up.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Ive watched the games. Thanks, agree to disagree. I think you are putting a lot of stock into what you know and seen from UVM, but quite simply hes not translating his intangibles at least not immediately, into the limited time hes seen. He did have a nice bounce back last night with a 9 and 9. Would like to see more of what he does well more consistently and quite honestly, needs to put the ball in the bucket at a better clip. But last nights 9 and 9, with a block, steal, etc. nice line. He def needs more of those to show he belongs. If he does that cool, hes got a path to an nba career. If we see a few more duds with a point and 3 or 4 rebounds here and there, not enough. He will ride the bench and swing two way. Which is fine too... he’s technically ‘made it’ right?
Fair enough, but think you're putting too much emphasis on his offense. He isn't in this league to score. He is in it to be a versatile defender that can get stops. From what I've seen, he is excelling on the defensive end and bringing a lot of energy. His open shots will fall. I think in general, people are underestimating the role of defensive stoppers that can guard multiple positions and switch in the pick and role. That is why Bucks got PJ Tucker - they got burned in playoffs because they didn't have defensive versatility to switch on pick and role.

And I apologize for being condescending.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Fair enough, but think you're putting too much emphasis on his offense. He isn't in this league to score. He is in it to be a versatile defender that can get stops. From what I've seen, he is excelling on the defensive end and bringing a lot of energy. His open shots will fall. I think in general, people are underestimating the role of defensive stoppers that can guard multiple positions and switch in the pick and role. That is why Bucks got PJ Tucker - they got burned in playoffs because they didn't have defensive versatility to switch on pick and role.

And, Lamb consistently proved any time he played against a Major program - he could put up points.

·
The People's Champ
884 Posts

No, I certainly agree there, his role essentially is to fill the tucker void. And no offense taken, its a cbb forum and all these convos are all good and fun from my side.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Lamb was named the G-League's Most Improved Player today. I didn't even know they had that award, and it feels extra weird handing it out in a 15-game season...but it's hard to argue with how much he improved statistically over the last 6 games.

201 - 220 of 258 Posts