Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
281 - 300 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
TBH makes the final 12 for the Canadians!

Needless to say this is huge and somewhat unexpected. A lot of people counted him out on this board. Very excited for TBH!

·
Registered
790 Posts

That’s a hell of an accomplishment. That roster is no joke.

I wonder if they qualify whether they’d keep these guys in place or whether there might be substitutions for the Olympic roster.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Really awesome and happy to have my feeling he'd just miss out proven wrong. It's really amazing that he's come this far in a year as a pro basketball player. Big props to TBH. Now, just hope they qualify.

Format is set up with 6 teams, 2 groups of 3, top 2 advances to a seeded knockout semifinal/final and winner goes to Tokyo. There's 4 of them going on in different locations. Canada in on home turf in British Columbia. They're in a group with Greece (no Giannis obviously, but Kostas is there!), who will be their main competition in the group stage. China is also in the group. Other side is Turkey (who are probably the second best team on paper), Czech Republic, and Uruguay.

·
Registered
337 Posts
This is really great news. TBH will become the second Catamount Nick Nurse has the privledge of coaching. Dare I say Nurse has a UVM pipeline now?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Trae should have a better shot of getting some run tomorrow against China.

This mini tournament is pretty solid. Canada and Turkey are the best bets to make the finals but Greece is capable of beating anyone in that field. Also, Czech Republic is sneaky good. If those four hold serve and make the semis, it should be a really competitive weekend.

·
Registered
153 Posts

This mini tournament is pretty solid. Canada and Turkey are the best bets to make the finals but Greece is capable of beating anyone in that field. Also, Czech Republic is sneaky good. If those four hold serve and make the semis, it should be a really competitive weekend.
The physicality and athleticism of the Canadian team was very impressive. I really want to see him in these games and a bunch of Canadian players worked hard, so hopefully he gets used…but can he bring that physicality to the game? His size is a detriment, me thinks.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Yup, it's 4 games in 5 days. There's gonna have to be some level of load management, I'd imagine. But, I think we all knew TBH was going to be an end of the bench type of guy. Depends on what the score looks like against China at the half and midway through the 3rd quarter.

Greece certainly is capable of getting to the final and winning this thing too. Rick Pitino coaching in the Olympics, and would be in USA's group in the first round would get sportswriters all giddy. The Czechs probably are going to be solid, but Uruguay hung tough and had the lead but ran out of gas against Turkey in the nightcap. That guy Granger on Uruguay is impressive. Plays in TBH's league too. So is Sengun, the Turkish guy who might be a first rounder in the draft this year.

Also, Uruguay had Kiril Wachsmann, who played for Iona in the early 2000s who I remember playing against UVM. I think it was 03-04 Iona beat UVM in NY, then UVM crushed them the next year on the return leg. I'm impressed with myself and equally find it depressing that I remember this.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Don't be depressed, nobody should know this crap.

It's not a Catamount, and he's been a DNP both games, but NJIT's Diego Willis (who I think also is in the portal) is on Mexico's team which just beat Russia today to advance to the semifinals of the qualifying tournament in Croatia.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Today I learned that Diego Willis was actually born in Mexico. Though you always see some interesting naturalizations in these tournaments, like Poland's AJ Slaughter or South Korea's Ricardo "Ra Gun-ah" Ratliffe.

One more note about Trae as I was perusing the rosters: one of Canada's assistants (Gord Herbert) actually coached him during his first season in Germany when he was in Frankfurt. Definitely helps to have a guy who knows a little about your game involved in the process when you're trying to grab one of those last few spots.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Wonder if Trae's opportunity will encourage more recruits north of the border to look at UVM a little more closely. It is kind of amazing he made the team. They are the 21st ranked team on FIBA with a pretty stacked roster with 2 former first draft picks.

I don't expect him to get much, if any, PT in important games. But, what an honor for TBH. Kid seems like a great teammate and appears to be thriving playing abroad. Hopefully his familiarity with the FIBA rules will help him earn a little PT behind a bunch of very good NBA guards.

Either way, I am glad to have an excuse to watch FIBA prelim games.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Wonder if Trae's opportunity will encourage more recruits north of the border to look at UVM a little more closely. It is kind of amazing he made the team. They are the 21st ranked team on FIBA with a pretty stacked roster with 2 former first draft picks.

I don't expect him to get much, if any, PT in important games. But, what an honor for TBH. Kid seems like a great teammate and appears to be thriving playing abroad. Hopefully his familiarity with the FIBA rules will help him earn a little PT behind a bunch of very good NBA guards.

Either way, I am glad to have an excuse to watch FIBA prelim games.
Plus Cory Joseph's second cousin played for UVM so there's that while we play six degrees of TBH.

281 - 300 of 323 Posts